Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk5 Mondeo Boot interior light

Paul RC

This light has stopped working reliably - flickers a bit when the boot lid is open.  I pulled the light unit out of the panelling on the RH side of the panelling and see that it is not a simple festoon bulb rather a module with electronics.  So am I right in assuming that this a canbus light (only have 2 wires on it's plug) and cannot be replaced with a sample light module?   I checked the 2 wires and there is a steady 12v available.
Also I am curious about where is the sensor located to detect the hatch is open?  As the hatch is correctly showing open on the drivers instrument cluster I am thinking this not at fault.
Thanks for advice in anticipation.

Hi Jonro,

I have never used Facebook (no desire to either), so could you let me knoiw the suggested upgrade directly?

Many thanks,

Paul

It involves tapping into the wires for the existing light, so I'll check you are up for that before we go any further. It's the only way to get a better light output though, there are no upgraded plug and play units unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hi Jonro,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am very happy doing wiring work.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul

I used strips like the ones in the link below, I liked them because they are for use in automobiles and have a dome around them to protect them from knocks and bumps. I'd always go for a 'cool white' rather than a warm one because it gives off a better output.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392702655254

I put one under the parcel shelf support on the left hand side and one on the right hand side, then I went a little overboard and put one on the underside of the parcel shelf. I ran 2 wires, one from the OEM lamp to the new one on the RHS and under the carpet and up behind the trim to the new one on the LHS. I ran a second wire to the parcel shelf and put an online pull apart connector in between the OEM lamp and the new one in case I wanted to remove the parcel shelf at anytime.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231993136001

I would recommend using these socket adapters, I wish I had done. It just saves cutting into the OEM wiring and you can revert back to standard easily at any time.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174108242524

Hope this is of some help.

Jon

• Like 1

Jon,

Thanks for the detailed info, I have now bought the parts suggested and look forward to fitting them when they arrive (something more to do during lockdown!)

I really appreciate your help with this matter.

Regards,

Paul

No problem, I hope it meets your needs.

Don't forget to update here when you are done, it may help others on the future [emoji106]

• 3 months later...

Jon, 

Lights finally fitted and working well.  I couldn't use the socket adaptors as these were not for my 2015 Mondeo so just had to solder in an extra lenth of cable.

Otherewise all OK.

Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club