Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question about Modding/Tuning

swizzleW

You'll have to excuse the (probably silly) question as im completely new to the idea of modding/tuning a car. From what I've read the Mk8 Fiesta St Line with 140ps engine has 180nm peak torque, (210 with overboost) and the gearbox is rated for 215nm Torque, so my question is how does getting even just a stage 1 remap that can increase torque up to like 230nm+ not damage or even outright break the gearbox? thanks in advance

25 minutes ago, swizzleW said:

increase torque up to like 230nm+ not damage or even outright break the gearbox?

It can, and does do is the simple answer haha. That's the risk you take with re-mapping your car. If it was able to take more power without having to uprate parts, then Ford would've had it as an option from the factory.

1 hour ago, swizzleW said:

You'll have to excuse the (probably silly) question as im completely new to the idea of modding/tuning a car. From what I've read the Mk8 Fiesta St Line with 140ps engine has 180nm peak torque, (210 with overboost) and the gearbox is rated for 215nm Torque, so my question is how does getting even just a stage 1 remap that can increase torque up to like 230nm+ not damage or even outright break the gearbox? thanks in advance

There’s been a bit of a discussion about this before I think but according to pretty much every single tech sheet from Ford, there is absolutely no indication that the MK8s have the overboost feature unfortunately. The MK7s do but as far as I’ve ever been able to find, the MK8s peak at 180nm and not much more! 

2 hours ago, DG97 said:

there is absolutely no indication that the MK8s have the overboost feature unfortunately. The MK7s do but as far as I’ve ever been able to find, the MK8s peak at 180nm and not much more! 

They definitely do my friend, this is taken directly from the Fiesta brochure and in the Torque row you can see the overboost figure in the brackets, 210nm! 

91f3d43c75ca164c194156d7710791b1.png

45 minutes ago, swizzleW said:

They definitely do my friend, this is taken directly from the Fiesta brochure and in the Torque row you can see the overboost figure in the brackets, 210nm! 

91f3d43c75ca164c194156d7710791b1.png

That’s quite interesting! Those figures are for the 6.2 standard - I do wonder if it changed for that? The paper brochure I have only states 180nm with no overboost and also Fords press materials on the technical side of things mentions nothing about it. To be fair, Fords information on their own cars is a bit inconsistent and often filled with mistakes. So it does in fact look like the stage 6.2 cars do have the overboost, whether the earlier stage 6 do? Who knows haha

8482BC63-8D7F-45DF-93AF-4A4C3A13A7A2.png

10 hours ago, swizzleW said:

Mountune's warranty friendly maps are torque limited to 214nm for this reason.  But, worth keeping in mind that peak torque isn't the only factor in a map. You're also interested in how much power and torque you get throughout the power band. 

Some other maps exceed 215nm and it could be fine. However, as you noted the gearbox isn't rated for it so failure is more likely. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club