Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One reverse light not working

symbiosis

Hi

I have an 08 facelift 1.8 diesel estate.

The right hand side reverse light does no come on when reversing but the bulb does light up when I put the side lights on!

Its clearly not the bulb (I put the bulb from the LHS in just to check, and it was the same)

Any ideas please?

if the bulb comes on when you put the side lights on are you sure your looking at the correct bulb then ?

Not sure if its the side lights to be honest, its when you turn it to the side light position and pull it all the way out - thats when it comes on, I assume that is when its in the fog light position

There's only one reverse light on a Focus anyway, isn't there? Have you tried putting it in reverse to test the bulb rather than just turning your lights on? Pulling the knob out all the way is normally to turn on the rear fog light ( on the right side in the bumper), Reverse is on the left in the bumper

Sorry, just noticed that you have an estate, think it's the same though, Fog bulb on the right and Reverse on the left.

Thanks Frembrit, is there just the one reverse light on the left then? I just assumed they should both come on? Can anyone confirm that please

3 minutes ago, Frembrit said:

There's only one reverse light on a Focus anyway, isn't there? Have you tried putting it in reverse to test the bulb rather than just turning your lights on? Pulling the knob out all the way is normally to turn on the rear fog light.

Are you sure it's a fault and not the parking light, I'm not sure about your car but on the Fiesta when you pull the switch out it turns on the parking lights. Turn the ignition on to stage 2 and put the car in reverse and see if the bulb works and then put the light switch in park and the car out of reverse and see what it does then.

Thanks Milkman, Frembrit was correct that when you pull it out in side light position it activate the rear fogs (which is the same bulb as the reverse light). I think he might be correct that it only has one reverse light but why the heck would Ford do that as someone on the right side behind you wouldn't see it!

As far as I know there has always only been one reverse bulb on the Focus, my dads MK1 did and from what I can see on photos of other cars on Autotrader it's the same for your year of car. turn your ignition on, but don't start the car and put it in to reverse and them check the light(s).

Have you got a handbook, should tell you in there. Otherwise you can get one here...https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/my-vehicle/download-your-manual#

• Like 1

It's correct only one but you can buy a right handed EU version. 

• Like 1

Well, thanks to Frembrit it appears that my car does indeed only have the one reverse light - hence this guide to add a second: 

Odd decision by Ford but at least I dont have to worry about it being a fault!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

It's correct only one but you can buy a right handed EU version. 

Thanks F0CUE - is it just a simple case of plugging it in or does it require some extra wiring? 

5 minutes ago, symbiosis said:

Thanks F0CUE - is it just a simple case of plugging it in or does it require some extra wiring? 

It requires a bit of splicing and modification to the unit. Lenny's guide has full instructions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, F0CUE said:

It requires a bit of splicing and modification to the unit. Lenny's guide has full instructions. 

cheers m8

Might be different for an estate though as the fog and reverse bulbs are in the main light clusters as opposed to being separate in the bumper on the hatchbacks. (from what I can see/tell from photos online)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frembrit said:

Might be different for an estate though as the fog and reverse bulbs are in the main light clusters as opposed to being separate in the bumper on the hatchbacks. (from what I can see/tell from photos online)

Although they are in the main cluster, picking up another pair of clusters cheap from a scrapper (even if broken) should allow the bulb mounts to be chopped off and fitted to the main clusters to dual bulb the fog and reverse lights; it *may* be necessary to move the original holders and move them a little to accommodate but it should be doable.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I've got a 2011 1.6 tdci Ford focus sport, could someone please tell me how many reverse lights it should have ?

1 hour ago, Brendan Ryan said:

I've got a 2011 1.6 tdci Ford focus sport, could someone please tell me how many reverse lights it should have ?

If it's a Mk2 hatch then just one at the bottom of the bumper.  The fog light is in the same place on the other side.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club