Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LED Headlights ?

RyanAir

Hey guys! I'm looking to buy a 2016 Ford Mondeo Mk5. I was wondering if these are the LED headlights or the standard ones, I can't tell from the picture and the dealer said they'd send me all the details within 2-3 working days (talked to them Friday).

Here is the pic:

https://ibb.co/WWkNhQC

Those are not L.E.D headlights...they would have the DRL's in the headlight and not in the fog light area.

All right. Thank you. So, what I gathered from researching is that there's only LED headlights (with the LED strip on the headlight) and the rest are halogen

33 minutes ago, RyanAir said:

All right. Thank you. So, what I gathered from researching is that there's only LED headlights (with the LED strip on the headlight) and the rest are halogen

No, there's two types of headlight clusters on the Mk5 Mondeos:

* Halogen only (the one you showed us in the pic above), with separate LED daytime running lights (on the lower bumper)

* LED only (turning signal, integrated daytime running lights, dipped and main beam lights, all of these are LED)

The LED only one looks like in the pic below - they're an optional extra on most model years from what I know, so they're slightly more difficult to find, but they're well worth getting if you can, the light output is vastly superior, and it makes all the difference when driving at night time, especially on unlit country roads.

image.thumb.png.e86841917e3f1718bc77820f320ce12e.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Incontro said:

The LED only one looks like in the pic below - they're an optional extra on most model years from what I know, so they're slightly more difficult to find, but they're well worth getting if you can, the light output is vastly superior, and it makes all the difference when driving at night time, especially on unlit country roads.

That's why I'm trying to find a model with the LED headlights. My current car has bi-xenon and there's no way I'd go back to halogen ever.

I found 2 listings with cars such as the above, the DRL on the bumper, with the description of the headlights being Dynamic LED and I thought I might as well ask here. I thought there may be 2 versions of the LED headlights, with DRLs included in the headlight and separate, on the lower part of the bumper.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Mine are dynamic led. Far superior to the halogen. 

No, there's two types of headlight clusters on the Mk5 Mondeos:
* Halogen only (the one you showed us in the pic above), with separate LED daytime running lights (on the lower bumper)
* LED only (turning signal, integrated daytime running lights, dipped and main beam lights, all of these are LED)

image.thumb.png.e86841917e3f1718bc77820f320ce12e.png
Technically there are 3 headlight clusters for the Mk5. The two you have mentioned and the third is a variation of the halogen ones. The early halogen headlights had a built in halogen DRL, using an H15 bulb shared with the main beam. The fog lamps on those cars were always round.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@RyanAir I am admin of the most active UK Mk5 Facebook page. It's a great forum and extremely active, we have over 2000 members and our interaction record is huge. If you would like help with anything Mk5 related then please join us [emoji846]
https://www.facebook.com/groups/693277794183606/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Technically there are 3 headlight clusters for the Mk5. The two you have mentioned and the third is a variation of the halogen ones. The early halogen headlights had a built in halogen DRL, using an H15 bulb shared with the main beam. The fog lamps on those cars were always round.

Yes I forgot about that style, thanks for the correction.

• Like 1

Yes I forgot about that style, thanks for the correction.
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a d!@k, it's an unfortunate character flaw lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a d!@k, it's an unfortunate character flaw lol

no offense taken? I doubt you're more 'direct' than I am lol, if anything i should be apologizing in half my posts for coming across as gruff lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/12/2020 at 3:06 AM, Jonro2009 said:

@RyanAir I am admin of the most active UK Mk5 Facebook page. It's a great forum and extremely active, we have over 2000 members and our interaction record is huge. If you would like help with anything Mk5 related then please join us emoji846.png
https://www.facebook.com/groups/693277794183606/

Already joined 🙂

One more question though. What kind of bulbs do these LED headlights use for the main / high beam? My previous car has bi-xenon and it's one D1S bulb, so if it goes bad, just replace it.

What happens if one of those LED Bulbs (?) go bad?

4 hours ago, RyanAir said:

Already joined 🙂

One more question though. What kind of bulbs do these LED headlights use for the main / high beam? My previous car has bi-xenon and it's one D1S bulb, so if it goes bad, just replace it.

What happens if one of those LED bulbs (?) go bad?

AFAIK the led headlights in this car are a sealed unit, you cannot simply replace the LED Bulbs yourself. You would probably have to replace the entire headlight cluster.

Tbh I wouldn't worry about the bulb failing, it will last a very long time would be my guess. The motor for the swivelling and auto-levelling headlights is far more likely to fail on this unit, assuming you were to have any problems.

• Like 2

I agree, the LED headlamp is a sealed unit and *should* last for at least 50,000 hours.

I've not heard anyone in the group complain that the lamps have failed, and very few motor issues either.

• Like 2

You wouldn't want a problem at near £900 a headlight. I am guessing the cost but bet I'm not far wrong. I will check tommorow out of curiosity. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi guys i have the headlights with the drls built in ( led i presume) what bulb type would it be ?? is there a headlight bulb upgrade ???

If it's the dynamic LED headlights, it's a sealed unit on the Mondeo and there's no bulb to replace. You can confirm they're LED units as on the side of the headlight it'll say "Ford Dynamic LED". 

What's the reason for the upgrade? The LED headlights are already excellent; it's the halogen units that are poor. 

• Like 2

I have the halogens on mine, OK, they're not as good as the LED, but they're good enough at night for me to see where Im going, I've been on plenty of unlit country roads as part of my job at night, never had a problem yet.

That said, is it easy to upgrade to Bi Xenon?

I'm not on facebook so cannot join the group 😞

Bi-Xenon wasn't an option for the Mk5. There might be an aftermarket kit, but at that stage you may as well upgrade to LED. 

Not sure what would be involved in swapping out the halogen units for original LED units, but it won't be a straightforward plug-and-play. The BCM will need to be configured for LEDs, plus I would expect wiring changes too. 

The third option is LED Bulbs that just replace the standard halogen bulbs, but technically those are for off-road use only and would be an MoT failure as they're not type-approved.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club