Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thoughts Regarding Oil Leak

jonj1611
聽Share

Hi, I have asked this before elsewhere but looking to get some more opinions.

Ok so I have a 2007 Focus ST. I changed the plugs a couple of days ago but the 2nd spark plug well was to the brim with oil. I also noticed some black rubber floating around in the oil. The other spark plug wells were fine but I noticed that someone has had the cam cover offer at some point and resealed everything back up with normal rtv. I believe you are supposed to use an anaerobic sealant.

Anyway I thought this would be a 10 minute whip the cam cover off and reseal job but no, more like 4 to 5 hour job and beyond my scope. The car runs fine, oil pressure good, so as you can imagine my question is what would you do? Just leave it? In the knowledge that the 2nd spark plug is full of oil but still sparking as the coil pack and plug are sealed and the oil isn't getting inside the coil pack or pay best part of 拢500 to get it fixed?

There has been the suggestion the rtv could break off internally and block oilways etc.

The point of this question is I am wrestling with what to do and I do appreciate there are no clear answers so that's why looking for opinions. Its a lot of money I don't really have right now but it would cost an awful lot more if it did somehow block something. I have had the car 6 months now and done about 2000 miles in it without issue.

Thanks for reading 馃檪

• Sad 1

For reference sent off for at least 12 quotes as believe it or not I would rather see the work done for peace of mind but the first quote I received was really high hence my post above. Have had 2 quotes so far.

Local garage want 拢400+vat!
Fast fit type garage(not kwik fit or the usual lot) said 拢200 all in but they are 300 miles away so obviously not practical right now

• Sad 1

So the other spark plug wells are dry? Do you have photos?

I would assume if the rocker cover gasket has been sealed up with rtv that it鈥檚 leaked previously. They should have just replaced the gasket.

I would just clean all the oil from the no.2 plug and put a new seal on the rocket cover.

What are garages quoting for exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not as straight forward as that with an ST, if it was I would do it myself.

These cars do not use gaskets, they use anaerobic sealant. The cam carrier is part of the cam cover, to remove the cam cover, you need to remove the timing belt and remove the cam gears, its a long long job, generally 3 to 4 hours

The cam cover was most likely removed to take the head off to do a block mod which is the most likely reason why anyone would want to remove the cam cover on an ST

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thought I would come back and update this, finally had the job done, while they were there also had the timing belt changed(genuine kit), new cam seals, spark plug seals and had the cam cover resealed, both aux belts and an inner cv joint. Was almost 拢650 :/聽

• Like 2

At least you had a proper job done and have peace of mind with having had the cambelt done at the same time. Now to enjoy that mota!聽

• 1 month later...

Sorry didn't reply sooner, didn't get notification anyone had replied, yes absolutely right, been done properly and car absolutely drives brilliantly, had the mot a couple of weeks ago, straight through and no advisories and this is from a place that picks up everything 馃檪

On 9/5/2020 at 10:56 AM, jonj1611 said:

Sorry didn't reply sooner, didn't get notification anyone had replied, yes absolutely right, been done properly and car absolutely drives brilliantly, had the mot a couple of weeks ago, straight through and no advisories and this is from a place that picks up everything 馃檪

At least now you can sit back and enjoy the amazing sound of the 5-pot knowing all is good in terms of the engine.

(I doubt I could afford the fuel bills for my usual commute in a MK2 ST but it's sure as hell a fun way to spend money!)聽馃榿

Well my son has a Focus 1.8 TDCi and if I am honest I drive that around for the bits and pieces jobs I need to do but for when I want a fun drive out comes the ST, like today 馃檪 always fun to drive but as you said expensive to run!聽

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club