Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have these tyre valves been changed ?

Matt Alsop

Hi, I've had four new Michelin tyres fitted this week at Kwik Fit in Newton Abbot. They've charged for four valves and four wheel balances. I have an itemised receipt having booked and paid online. I've cleaned the car a day later and have noticed something. I'd like to ask whether you think these valves have been changed just a few days ago because they look like the original ones to me ? The car has TPMS and I understand that the valve core should be changed when replacing the tyres. Also I can only see balance weights on the front two wheels only and none on the rear. Is that suspicious ?

20200801_150409.jpg

20200801_150454.jpg

Those valves don't look new but, if they were, then the TPMS probably wouldn't be working.

I thought they were supposed to change the valve stem and fit the sensor back onto the new valve stem. Looking online I see that the sensor is attached to the rear of the stem with a screw. My concern is I think I've paid for something I didn't receive.

42 minutes ago, Matt Alsop said:

I thought they were supposed to change the valve stem and fit the sensor back onto the new valve stem. Looking online I see that the sensor is attached to the rear of the stem with a screw. My concern is I think I've paid for something I didn't receive.

That's not unheard of from Kwik Fit.  You CAN get better than a Kwik-fit fitter!!!

I thought and assumed the valve stem was part of the sensor and could not be replaced, only the inner valve core can be changed. I may be wrong. As for balancing, you may have been very lucky and they fitted the tyres in such a way, that weights were not needed.

Thanks Jim. Next time I'm going to return to the small independent tyre centre I've used before. Slightly more expensive but worth it I think.

I looked online and could see a TPMS service kit for my age of Fiesta which looks like a normal valve stem with a threaded hole and screw on the inner end which holds the sensor. Picture below.  I guess if I really want to know I'll ask the Ford dealer what they do with a tyre change as they are usually very helpful.

Capture.JPG

As you gathered from my thread. I need a pair of tyres very shortly. I will probably use a local small independent garage to fit them, possibly after buying tyres online (Camskil, Mytyres etc). I will ask if they could show me the sensors (never seen one before) and will certainly ask if stems are changed.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club