Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I change Automatic gear oil?

spagball

I have a 2005 1.6 petrol with 100000mls up got it in 2016 with 65000 no service history has been great for last four years and still is but wondering should I change the automatic gear oil? And timing belt and water pump? 

I'm a firm believer in changing auto fluid, having had good results. However some say if a box has a lot of miles on it it might be best to leave it alone. 

If you have no record of a cambelt or water pump change and you want to keep the car then yes definitely get it done.  A failed cambelt in some cases can write off an engine.  

I have a 2004 fiesta and was planning to  chance the timing belt rather than change it. Then the clutch went at 80000 miles. It cost £350 to fix it. Then it failed its mot, and needed new tyres. I decided to get the timing belts done and get the car fixed. Another £1000 spent. 

Before you change the belts make sure it has a long mot. Might be worth just changing the transmission fluid first and see if it runs OK before getting the belts done.

I disagree....if the auto box is working fine, then why risk causing a problem ??

I think the going rate for doing the timing belt and water pump is around £300, so if the car is otherwise mechanically sound, then I would get them done instead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil3747 said:

I disagree....if the auto box is working fine, then why risk causing a problem ??

I think the going rate for doing the timing belt and water pump is around £300, so if the car is otherwise mechanically sound, then I would get them done instead.

Agree^

Thanks for replys I think I'll leave the changing auto oil it could cause problems I checked the auto oil level and I think it's ok it wasn't very clear even a bit too much but it's been fine for 4 years I'm going to check again when coke to try and figure out the gauge.

Will just change the belt and water pump going to look at my Haynes manual to see if I can do this myself or go to a garage- can a DIY mechanic do this job? Also going to change the oil and filter used to leave it for over a year and 10000mls but recently heard should be changing every 4000.

For peace of mind I would bite the bullet and fork out for a reputable local garage (not dealer) to do it, then at least you will have some comeback in the unlikely event something were to go wrong afterwards, otherwise you could grenade your engine if you do something wrong ??

Regarding the oil changing, oil quality has improved significantly over the past few years, hence the reason modern engines can do 18,000+ miles between oil changes, so realistically you should still be fine at 10,000 intervals, but as you are only looking at around £30 (Euros ??)  to do it yourself, then it obviously won't break the bank to change it more often, if that is your preference !!

Thanks going to let garage sort out timing belt etc i changed oil and filter doesnt feel much different The auto gearbox is more clunky than in the past will ask garage should i leave or change it Thanks

The real question is if you want to keep this car or not? Only you can answer it.

If you start being pennywise on essentials like engine oil, filters, fluids (coolant and gear) or tires, than you really do not need a car. Any car. Get a donkey and a cart...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club