Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Road noise

robdalej

just got a12 reg focus zetec s , fitter with 18 in alloys, car runs fine  but ,on some road surfaces , the tyre noise is quite bad , is this usual on these cars or is it just down to the quality  of the tyres,  ?they have good treads but seem to be  of a medium  quality 

Probably the tyres...I had factory fit Bridgestone Ponteza RE050's in 19" on my Mondeo and they were noisy, they had hard sidewalls which probably didn't help, though was pretty good at direction change. Use Michelin PS4s now which has softer sidewalls.

12 hours ago, robdalej said:

just got a12 reg focus zetec s , fitter with 18 in alloys, car runs fine  but ,on some road surfaces , the tyre noise is quite bad , is this usual on these cars or is it just down to the quality  of the tyres,  ?they have good treads but seem to be  of a medium  quality 

The road noise on my 69 plate focus is ridiculous, also on some surfaces , on others it’s really smooth. Might be down to type of tyre but not necessarily quality. It’s got Michelin’s on it ..£130 each , or thereabouts. Also 18 in alloys

22 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

The road noise on my 69 plate focus is ridiculous, also on some surfaces , on others it’s really smooth. Might be down to type of tyre but not necessarily quality. It’s got Michelin’s on it ..£130 each , or thereabouts. Also 18 in alloys. 

It will probably be more down to the actual road surface. HRA on a Type 1 or Type 2 road will have 20mm pre coated chippings with a minimum PSV of 65 in the surface hence more noise. Majority of other main roads including some stretches of motorway and dual carriageway will be of SMA you have two sizes of aggregate either 14mm or 10mm with the latter being the quietest. 

Estate roads are generally consistant with either 10mm SMA or standard 10mm DBM again with the latter being quieter and smoother.

• Like 1

I've been looking into tyres for when mine need changing, got the Michelins on at the moment with a noise rating of 71db, Pirelli P-Zeros have a rating of 68 so I might give them a go.

The road  surface coating would make sense , this is the second car I have owned which  has been noisy on certain roads , I sold the other one , a Megane estate  , for the same reason , preferthe Focus though !

56 minutes ago, robdalej said:

The road  surface coating would make sense , this is the second car I have owned which  has been noisy on certain roads , I sold the other one , a Megane estate  , for the same reason , preferthe Focus though !

When I'm driving along certain roads the HUD and the infotainment screen both vibrate so much so that when you drive down the M180 with a concrete surface I even have to switch the radio on 🙄

• Haha 1

The concrete surface on sections of the A14 is dreadful for road noise in any car!  Not to mention shaking your eyeballs out of their sockets!  No idea how that can be seen as an acceptable surface for a heavy traffic, 70mph road.

I'm very sensitive to ride so have to avoid any nice looking wheels with low profile tyres - but even on balloon tyres with the lowest noise ratings some road surfaces still make a lot of noise, I don't think you'll cure it without buying a Maybach.

39 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

No idea how that can be seen as an acceptable surface for a heavy traffic, 70mph road.

Don't delude yourself that road engineers have any interest in your comfort. They're only interested in cost and performance for heavy freight traffic.

• Sad 1

The adaptive volume in the mk4 , I can’t say if that works or not! Should it adjust with road noise or engine noise or both? 

I think it is speed rather than noise that it reacts to.

6 hours ago, Frowma said:

I've been looking into tyres for when mine need changing, got the Michelins on at the moment with a noise rating of 71db, Pirelli P-Zeros have a rating of 68 so I might give them a go.

Noise ratings are measured external to the car so the reduction in db level may not be as great as you might anticipate.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club