Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1993 Xr2I 16V Throttle Body Upgrade

Retro Rider

Hello to all! O.k, just joined the ford owners club and this is my first ever forum post, so let's see if I get any response. Here goes! I have just bought a 1993 1.8 16v XR2I, and I am looking to change the highly restrictive throttle body for something a bit less sucky. I have read several posts which say I can use the unit off a mk1 2.0 L mondeo or focus. There are however, several different types to choose from I have found. There are the blacktop and the silvertop variations for starters. One source has told me it is the earlier silvertop unit which I require. Is this accurate? Does this setup require any additional components to make it compatible? Also, to accompany this it is necessary to change the throttle cable bracket to make it fit. Would this be off the same model mondeo or focus?

Next question. Will changing the throttle body require the ECU to be re-mapped or changed? I would most likely be inclined to upgrade this anyway. I have been informed that you can use the ECU off a mk1 2.0 L mondeo or focus as well. Would it be a good idea to do this at the same time as the throttle body? When changing an ECU, is it a simple case of one out one in, or will it require professional setup once installed?

Finally, is it worthwhile changing the inlet manifold to accompany all these enhancements? Is there a direct ford improvement for this as well, or would it be a case of buying a performance part to achieve any noticeable gains?

Sorry about the influx of questions, but I think they're all relevant.

If there are any boffins who can answer these questions for me I would be very grateful, as it is boggling me. I would also add that this is just one idea - if you have any better suggestions for such an install, please do tell! For example, could you get an even better ford throttle body on there than the 2.0 L one?

I appreciate the obvious choice is to spend hundreds and hundreds on proper performance throttle bodies and the like. I'm not looking to get that serious though, as there are many other things I want to do which are going to cost a lot of wedge so gotta spread the love evenly.

If anyone has successfully done these modifications and can provide part numbers, reliable stockists/tuning establishments, fitting tips, etc that would be a major bonus! I'm in the south of England.

I'm not fluent with forums yet, so in case I'm too thick to find any responses you may leave please feel free to send them to my email address as well - andrewpeter1982@hotmail.com

Many thanks, Andy.

The Mondeo and Focus 2.0L 136ps throttle body can be used including 93-95 ECUs, but you will need to swap the throttle cable bracket in order to make it fit.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club