Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync3 upgrade using PNP cable

DaSingh

Has anyone done the Sync1 to Sync3 using the plug and play cable available from china?

I got one and fitted it today but after updating as built data from a similar spec car in forscan and updating the settings in foccuss but have no controls on steering column or when using the fascia 😕

I seem to have 2 spare plugs on the loom that dont seem to connect to anything... the listing states Fit for Ford Focus 2012-2018

I have working satnav, dab radio, bluetooth, screen switches correctly from day to night mode but just no controls. Hazard light button works but that's about it.

Anyone got any suggestions? 

I might have to pull it all back out tomorrow and check the cable against the picture.

61-ZZMFjiEL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

What connectors have you got spare and is this on the cars harness or the one you’ve bought?

For the Facia buttons to work correctly you need to extend pins 4 and 5 from the FCDIM connector on you car. Pin 4 would then be connected/spliced to button panel pin 7 and pin 4 to button panel pin 4. This will 100% get your Facia buttons working.

As for the steering wheel controls, this will be down to programming I would have thought. Try looking through the sync conversion threads or Phil’s build guide as I’m sure he covered this aswell :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11 hours ago, Monks600 said:

What connectors have you got spare and is this on the cars harness or the one you’ve bought?

For the Facia buttons to work correctly you need to extend pins 4 and 5 from the FCDIM connector on you car. Pin 4 would then be connected/spliced to button panel pin 7 and pin 4 to button panel pin 4. This will 100% get your Facia buttons working.

As for the steering wheel controls, this will be down to programming I would have thought. Try looking through the sync conversion threads or Phil’s build guide as I’m sure he covered this aswell 🙂

I think the only cable that isn't connected is the cable with the swing arm that originally went to the 4" screen 

I will get in the car later and take some photos... 

So this is what I have in car and taken pic of the loom too....

What I connected was from old bluetooth box labeled Sync1

I end up with nothing to connect the original screen connection to and then the 2 top cables on the left of the loom are not connected.

Where I have ACM1 I have connected that directly as it does not connect to anything on the loom. 

ACM2 goes the cables on top right of the photo then to the back of the new ACM unit. 

Sync1 going to the far right in the loom pic then to the back of the new screen. 

Very confused 

20200829_124503.jpg

20200829_123738.jpg

These 2 don't seem to connect anywhere 
20200829_132740.thumb.jpg.7f89a3c774f6763200dd6a80167c376f.jpg

Correct me if I’m wrong but that looks like a connector for your air con control panel just above the gear stick? I think the original connector is blue maybe?

I thought that could be but they simply don't fit to anything unless they have sent wrong loom 🤔

I thought that could be but they simply don't fit to anything unless they have sent wrong loom [emoji848]

Hmmm, so the hvac connector doesn’t fit in to the spare on the new loom and then the other spare doesn’t then plug in to the back of the hvac panel?

How weird... what is the connector for the small screen currently plugged in to or is that just not connected to anything now?

I think your right I was trying to connect to the cable

So this should allow sync to control the aircon

If that's the case then all I need to do is the front fascia buttons 

20200829_133623.jpg

I think your right I was trying to connect to the cable
So this should allow sync to control the aircon
If that's the case then all I need to do is the front fascia buttons 
20200829_133623.thumb.jpg.62049d317fd09e08f3dd74d71c98507b.jpg

You could be on to a winner here now!

Is there clear instructions with photos on how to do the cables for the front panel connector? 

The original cable from the sync 4" screen is not connected to anything. 

Is there clear instructions with photos on how to do the cables for the front panel connector? 
The original cable from the sync 4" screen is not connected to anything. 

Now that you’ve technically spliced in to the hvac controls, your front panel Facia should now work I think... give it a quick go :)

Nope, at the back of the hvac I one of those connected and the original cable with the blue connector.

Its only one or 2 things left but I'm ready to get rid of the lot and stick with the sync1 lol 

Nope, at the back of the hvac I one of those connected and the original cable with the blue connector.
Its only one or 2 things left but I'm ready to get rid of the lot and stick with the sync1 lol 

Weird how the new harness did have a socket to insert the 4inch screen connector in to... bizarre.

So, what I’d do now is pop the pins with cables still attached out of the screen connector and they should slot right in to the Facia connector, I think you may only have to split one of them onto an existing cable on the Facia connector. From memory there’s a spare socket I think for one of the pins.

916e833ae7254cd5eef70557a667f34b.jpg

I think this might be the problem? 

The loom should replace the blue plug but the connection is not the same so can't slot it in the back of hvac control? 

20200829_140708.jpg

I think this might be the problem? 
The loom should replace the blue plug but the connection is not the same so can't slot it in the back of hvac control? 
20200829_140708.thumb.jpg.aaa6dedb204f9dd8e7ef9fceecfc6a57.jpg

I think you could be right... is there any other connectors on the HVAC panel that look similar? I thought there was two from memory... sorry for being vague, i did mine manually without a harness and created my own loom and what not. Did this over a year ago lol!

Have a look at this, they make different harnesses depending on what model and year... I wonder if there’s a socket on the harness for that 4inch screen connector? https://www.4dtech.com/4-to-8-pnp-conversion-harness-for-sync-2-3/

Wait, think this makes more sense... 1e045782fac86825fb2ee661f599b254.png&key=976f4efb7f448b0605cc7007e9a13b5bb310fd4298f1f0b7b1b3ca1a3d3c61b4

UPDATE: look at type D i think that’s the one you need, it’s got the 4 inch connector

Problem is my cable doesn't have same as the cable from 4dtech

This is the link

Inch TO 8 Inch PNP Conversion Power Harness for Ford SYNC 1 to SYNC 2 & SYNC 3 Upgrade for Ford Edge Fusion F-150 Mustang Powe 

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005001266788205.html?srcSns=sns_Copy&spreadType=socialShare&bizType=ProductDetail&tt=MG&aff_request_id=76f2fe039e3e4945a9a290d55e3403d5-1598707429934-04257-_dYlJ8Wy&aff_platform=default&sk=_dYlJ8Wy&mergeHashcode=36871887915&description=£89.65++32%OFF+|+4+Inch+TO+8+Inch+PNP+Conversion+Power+Harness+for+Ford+SYNC+1+to+SYNC+2+%26+SYNC+3+Upgrade+for+Ford+Edge+Fusion+F-150+Mustang+Powe&aff_trace_key=76f2fe039e3e4945a9a290d55e3403d5-1598707429934-04257-_dYlJ8Wy&businessType=ProductDetail&title=£89.65++32%OFF+|+4+Inch+TO+8+Inch+PNP+Conversion+Power+Harness+for+Ford+SYNC+1+to+SYNC+2+%26+SYNC+3+Upgrade+for+Ford+Edge+Fusion+F-150+Mustang+Powe&platform=AE&terminal_id=a0d531ef3c1645dfb10de18732838ccb&templateKey=white_backgroup_101

Just looked, doesn’t mention it’s comparable with the focus models. I’m guessing the other models use slightly different connectors or a different way of powering the front Facia panel. As you’re already deep in to this, all I can suggest is the pin method I mentioned before :)

EDIT: just checked and the other models use that connector which we thought was for the HVAC as the radio bezel connector (Facia for the radio). The focus, as you know, uses a much smaller connector entirely.

So strange as it did say compatible with focus I will contact them to see if there different versions. There are listings that say focus 2012-2018.

Taken it all back out and put sync1 back in for now as it's quite simple and nothing was screwed in. 

Will have to wait for them to respond. If it's wrong then it's a very expensive mistake 

So strange as it did say compatible with focus I will contact them to see if there different versions. There are listings that say focus 2012-2018.

Taken it all back out and put sync1 back in for now as it's quite simple and nothing was screwed in. 

Will have to wait for them to respond. If it's wrong then it's a very expensive mistake 

Fair enough, I’m pretty sure now I’ve had a look around that it’s the wrong harness for the focus. As you saw with the other ones, they had an extra connector for the old screen to latch in to.

Have a read through Luke’s guide which is stickied on the forum and look at Phil’s build thread. They’ve got all the pins and stuff listed on there and other bits. Might prove useful and what not! Let us know how you get along mate :)

Put sync1 back in and now got dab 🙄

It's raining and iv given up for now so won't be pulling laptop out. 

I think it's wrong harness but there's another listing exactly the same that which says compatible with focus so must be using generic pic. 

• Like 1

Put sync1 back in and now got dab [emoji849]
It's raining and iv given up for now so won't be pulling laptop out. 
I think it's wrong harness but there's another listing exactly the same that which says compatible with focus so must be using generic pic. 

Ha, don’t blame you! Nothing worse than having all the parts and only one little thing is stopping you!

Worst case scenario, try and get a replacement harness or get the seller to refund you aomething back and then just splice them connectors. Will take 5 mins at most.

• Thanks 1

Just update for anyone following along. Possibly wrong cable from China waiting for reply from seller. 

It's 90% working but the only issue is front panel fascia and possibly steering control and voice button not working. 

Going to be spending time with family so this can wait until next week 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club