Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Mondeo engine light and limp mode

shaun.t

Hi all, new to the site so apologies if i get it wrong. I have a 62 mondeo diesel estate with 135k, great car and goes like a dream normally. Couple of weeks ago i had the information (i)light up on the dash. Car was still running good but a couple of days later the orange engine light came on. Phoned the garage and booked it in last Thursday, drove home and the car kept going in and out of limp mode. The garage had my car (for 4 days)and started diagnosing, did a regen and i was told it points to a sensor by the CAT. They changed this and charged me £280 but told me they could not reset the engine light.....but to drive for a few days to see if it resets as no faults were showing up on their tester. Anyway drove 22 miles to work this morning and just before i arrived limp mode cut in again.

Left the car for a couple of hours and the limp mode has gone but the engine light is still on.....i am at a loss as the garage cant seem to see what the fault is. From what i can see there are a number of topics relating to this....any deas? the car has been regularly serviced and does run like a new one normally.

• Like 1

Hi! Is it Ford main dealer you went to? I ask 'cos a lot of generic code readers don't pick up Ford codes, but if it WAS a main dealer then I would have thought they'd have used the correct sort. 

1 hour ago, nicam49 said:

Hi! Is it Ford main dealer you went to? I ask 'cos a lot of generic code readers don't pick up Ford codes, but if it WAS a main dealer then I would have thought they'd have used the correct sort. 

No it was a local garage i have used for years without any problems.....they have two different code readers and both gave the same response. Its annoying as the £280 i've just spent has not made any difference at all. Drove the car home last night (22 miles from where i work) and the limp mode came on within 2 miles of me starting. Got home and turned the engine off....waited for a coupe of minutes and started again, the "I" warning light had gone off, engine light still on and no limp mode.

£280 for a sensor?  Sure it wasn't the vaporizer that was replaced?

As Nicam says, needs Ford specific diags on it.  You can do it yourself with Forscan, doesnt need to be a Ford dealer.

• Like 1

Hi, not sure what was replaced but they apparently had trouble trying to get it out...all i know is it was by the CAT. ...just had a look at the Forscan and looks pretty good but unsure about having a go myself to be honest.....my missus wants to get rid of the car but it does everything i need it to do so not giving up yet.

• Like 1

That's mississes (?) for you! You can rest assured that as far as mississes +  cars go you are not alone in forum land! For under £20 you can get a dependable reader which will pay for itself time after time. Tunnelrat are in UK and you can email them with any Q?s. AFAIK there's 2 different sorts, one that plugs into a USB port on a Windows laptop, and one that connects to your android phone on bluetooth, I think that one you need to buy a Forscan licence for (not expensive tho') Maybe someone with experience of this can clarify/correct me. Once you've got a code reader  we can give some driving instructions how to read the ecu. 

Bit the bullet and ordered one of these units...garage had my car all day Friday and still nothing....still engine light and limp mode.....waste of time. 

• Like 1

Plugged the unit in and it came up with error codes.....P246C,P2463,P246B and when I ran the engine it showed pdf soot ld at 228....from what I can see it all relates to a DPF user.....or am I missing domething?

Well, some of those codes might be historic as there's no date stamp on them, so clear them and see which ones come back 

Going by those codes, I would hope the garage changed the vaporiser unit as it was failing to carry out a dpf regen...but changing it alone won't fix it as they should have at least cleared the error codes so that the car knows to try a regen again.

I would suggest, in forscan, clearing the codes as mentioned by Nick and then find the 'reset dpf learned values' option (I think it's called that) and run that too. Then just go for a drive and if you can get on to a free flowing A road. When I replaced my Vaporiser the car started a regen within 3 minutes of driving.

I was told the vaporiser was changed and the codes reset....but I will give it a try. Is the soot level anything to worry about?

I was told the vaporiser was changed and the codes reset....but I will give it a try. Is the soot level anything to worry about?.......just done the reset.....all lights have gone off the dash and all seems OK....had a quick test drive and its running great again.....Will give it a long run in a bit to see if its cured..

Yes, soot levels should not be any higher than about 80%, I think that's roughly when it starts a regen. Go for your drive and if the EML doesn't come back on then it's most likely doing a regen, then check the soot levels again when you get home. I actually had my laptop in the passenger footwell so i could see the soot levels and exhaust temps, during the regen they go over 600oC

Aftera mile or so limp mode again......hasn't worked and doesn't seem to regen 

What error codes are you getting now?

Have a look at my thread on Talkford HERE  There are other threads there were others have had trouble getting it to regen after a vaporiser change

Blimey this forced regen stinks and was a bit worried about the smoke under the car ...

Did the regen and the car seems to be driving OK.....soot level has gone from 228 to 9......Will take it down the motorway tomorrow to see what happens......and no engine lights....let's hope its OK as I have the mot in two weeks....thanks for all the advice......

• Like 2

Drove 21 miles to work this morning without any issues.....fingers crossed it has cured the issue.....thanks again for all the advice...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shaun.t said:

Drove 21 miles to work this morning without any issues.....fingers crossed it has cured the issue.....thanks again for all the advice...

Hopefully it's sorted now then.  Forscan is such an invaluable tool for any Ford owner! :smile: 

I would definitely recommend it....came down the motorway this morning with a smile on my face.....may be a 2012 with 135k on the clock but when it runs well you can't beat it.....love my old ford.......😁

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club