Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem with first start after clutch fitted

NIDGEREDALERT

Hiya,newbie here.Searched threads and couldn't find an answer so apologies if there is 1 and missed it.So i had a full new clutch fitted last Thursday,drove it home no problems(these guys have put me a clutch in before in another focus so not cowboys)The next morning it started then cut out within about 10 seconds.(never done it before)didn't think nothing of it as it had been stood 2 days,used it for work for around 3 hours no problems,used again later on and again next morning.Later in the day it did the same again,took a little longer but still started,now getting worried...next day used all day agin no problems.Tried to start it this morning started and cut out within around 20 seconds then couldnt get it to start.AA came out put mobile battery to mine and it fired up straight away,diagnosis battery.He put code reader on it when he came out and no faults recorded.Changed that today used it for a couple of hours,tried starting it again half ago and cut out again!.Question is could this be related to the new clutch being fitted or just coinicidence and maybe a fuel problem?It's a 1.8 TDCI on a 08 plate if that helps.Cheers for any help...

If they've had the gearbox out its worth checking the wiring on starter motor is connected properly and also the main earth strap that bolts on to the gearbox is tight. These would both be giving you starting issues. 

Would these not show up as fault codes,also that wouldn't explain how i can stop start it around 20 times while at work would it?It only seems to happen when left a few hours and then again not every time.It's worth checking like you say & appreciate the answer... 🙂

If they are slightly loose and just making bad contact I don't think a code will be logged, also this will be very intermittent like you say, sometimes it will be fine, other times it could take ages to start. The AA jumping it with another battery could have just been coincidence. 

It could just be a bad battery but it's worth checking the other things first before spending money

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club