Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

Just now, Eric Bloodaxe said:

According to various posts on here, many Fords fill themselves with water automatically!

All those owners that had to fill the gaps will be regretting it 😆

• Haha 2

Another car enthusiast recommends wider discussion now about the wisdom of going ev only in 2030.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've watched a couple of great videos from Ped on EVs specifically which seem to trend very well (looking at view counts).

He makes some very salient and reasonable points on the subject. Definitely an influential content creator. No doubt his channel will be banned in the future, following nebulous misinformation policies coming down the pipeline.

• 2 weeks later...

Another video, I'm afraid.  Someone will have to tell me if I should not post so many ...

This interview with Jordan Peterson raises a number of issues that I have not heard discussed in the public domain.  For example:

1.  Is it true that since 2000 the planet is 15% greener (presumably as a result of carbon dioxide levels)?

2.  Is it true that since 2000 there has been a proliferation of plants moving into areas (for example the edges of deserts) that couldn't support them before?

3.  Is it true that thanks to carbon dioxide levels increasing in recent years crop yields are going up giving us more food for less fertiliser?

4.  Is it so that current carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere are at comparatively low levels historically?

Jordan Peterson acknowledges he has been described as a "climate denier" and indeed he may be just that, but until the questions above (and many more) have been properly, honestly and fully discussed in the public arena what is our government doing pursuing this mind-blowingly expensive plan to ban the sale of new petrol cars in 2030?  

I really don't want in twenty years time to be sitting on the edge of my seat praying that the Chinese and Indians release more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere to support life on the planet while we contribute nothing apart, that is, from describing ourselves as "green"!!!  Thinks ... with some relief I realise I'll be dead by then!!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Linds said:

This interview with Jordan Peterson raises a number of issues that I have not heard discussed in the public domain.  

I have been a huge fan of Jordan ever since seeing him interviewed by Piers Morgan just last year. Jordan has the intelligence quota the size of a small planet, exceptionally articulate, and very knowledgeable on many topics. I have no idea whatsoever as to the answers of the questions you pose, but if Jordan believes them, well, I'm on board!

• Like 1

Dr. Peterson is correct. Co2 is also not the poisonous gas that it has been “re labeled” by the so called scientific community. Carbon dioxide is a relatively small percentage of all the trace gasses in the atmosphere. However, it is an absolutely essential ingredient for photosynthesis to occur in leafy green plants and trees.

without the presence of Co2, plants will not produce oxygen. Plants and trees will not thrive. 

If the mindset that Co2 is harmful persists then that same mindset will have to make the case for the “green “ initiative that includes the heavy strip mines for the rare earth elements that will be required to make EV batteries!

so far, that is a conversation that they have avoided.

2 hours ago, Linds said:

Is it true that thanks to carbon dioxide levels increasing in recent years crop yields are going up giving us more food for less fertiliser?

Waste co2 from Industrial processes has been pumped into Greenhouses for Increased crop yields for a long time. 

I'm not trying to say whether it is good for the planet or not, but I do think both sides of the argument need to heard and this side of things is never mentioned by the usual suspects.

• Like 1

CO2 at ground level isn't the issue.  Even the tallest trees are only 100 metres tall.  A long way from being able to make any use of CO2 high up in the atmosphere contributing to the greenhouse effect.

This is why carbon capture would be worthwhile...catching it while it's still at ground level.

Sadly the tech & infrastructure for large scale carbon capture is still years away.

• Like 2

I'm watching "Guy Martins Power Trip" on Channel 4 at present. It's quite a good investigation into how electricity is produced and distributed and I think pretty balanced in its content. Pretty sceptical as to the "greenness" of the heavily subsidised burning of wood at Drax for example.

Guy's not everyones cup of tea as a presenter but it's well worth looking out for on catch up imo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I'm watching "Guy Martins Power Trip" on Channel 4 at present.

I can also recommend his restoration program of a Spitfire aircraft, just amazing attention to detail. I remember one of the bolts was made to such a tolerance that whilst having held it in his hand, it no longer fitted, but on leaving it down for a bit (to cool down!), slipped straight in! Guy Martin's passion for all types of engineering is infectious!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Pretty sceptical as to the "greenness" of the heavily subsidised burning wood at Drax for example.

Coincidentally Drax's profit for last year has just been announced: £731million - no doubt helped by the £893million in subsidy they received.

They are however also the present operator of the Ben Cruachan pumped water storage hydro power station on Loch Awe (also shown in Guy's programme).

Fascinating place to visit if you are in the area. Been round a few times over the years. First time was while on a walking holiday over 30 years ago with a mate who like me was in the industry at the time, so after showing our ID and business cards we got the insiders tour!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I think I've posted a link to the "Energy Dashboard" previously , but it's been updated recently. 

https://www.energydashboard.co.uk/live

mmm... 39GW, still not enough to power a DeLorean back to the future! LOL

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

mmm... 39GW, still not enough to power a DeLorean back to the future! LOL

We just need more wind. !!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, unofix said:

We just need more wind. !!

It's providing almost 45% at the mo, which isn't bad going I suppose. 

(You did mean that type of wind, didn't you, not the sort which followed the bean eating scene in "Blazing Saddles"?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

(You did mean that type of wind, didn't you, not the sort which followed the bean eating scene in "Blazing Saddles"?)

Showing your age there buddy, I saw that last year in primary school, classic LOL

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Showing your age there buddy, I saw that last year in primary school, classic LOL

What a cheek! It was repeated on tv only recently!

(I might have seen it before, though!😃

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Are you telling us you only left primary school last year? :laugh:

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 3:42 PM, Linds said:

Another video, I'm afraid.  Someone will have to tell me if I should not post so many ...

This interview with Jordan Peterson raises a number of issues that I have not heard discussed in the public domain.  For example:

1.  Is it true that since 2000 the planet is 15% greener (presumably as a result of carbon dioxide levels)?

2.  Is it true that since 2000 there has been a proliferation of plants moving into areas (for example the edges of deserts) that couldn't support them before?

3.  Is it true that thanks to carbon dioxide levels increasing in recent years crop yields are going up giving us more food for less fertiliser?

4.  Is it so that current carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere are at comparatively low levels historically?

Jordan Peterson acknowledges he has been described as a "climate denier" and indeed he may be just that, but until the questions above (and many more) have been properly, honestly and fully discussed in the public arena what is our government doing pursuing this mind-blowingly expensive plan to ban the sale of new petrol cars in 2030?  

I really don't want in twenty years time to be sitting on the edge of my seat praying that the Chinese and Indians release more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere to support life on the planet while we contribute nothing apart, that is, from describing ourselves as "green"!!!  Thinks ... with some relief I realise I'll be dead by then!!!

I was interested to see this video has been removed.  I returned to it because the other day the UN has issued a report that apparently states that carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere are currently higher than they have been for 2 million years.  You will see above that Jordan Peterson was claiming current carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere are at comparatively low levels historically,  So was he lying in support of his argument?  Or was he simply misinformed?  Or was he correct and it is the UN who are telling porkies?  The current unavailability of this video may point one in the direction of the truth, I don't know.

I do wish we had a reliable source of good information on this subject ... unfortunately the Pandemic Saga has left many of us unable to trust much of what we are told by organisations, such as the UN, whom in previous years we'd have had no problem believing.

Oh, well ...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Linds said:

I do wish we had a reliable source of good information on this subject ...

I thought we did. In June 2018, St Greta announced definitively that humanity only had another 5 years of survival. I never booked a summer holiday this year on the strength of that child star 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

52 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

St Greta

Would this be the same Greta who was recently protesting about the building of wind farms in Norway?

(Explanation in attached link but it now seems reindeer grazing trumps windfarms. So if your neighbourhood wants to avoid a windfarm, start grazing reindeer.)

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/01/europe/greta-thunberg-wind-farm-norway-sami-climate-intl/index.html

• Like 3

Dr Peterson is a lightning rod for leftists who subscribe to the whole global governance claptrap /disaster.

they call him a Ryhmes with Hotzee and they also call him a fascist, Which is quite preposterous.Virtually every single video he has ever made is available to watch, including the early one’s where he is recording his class lectures. 
The only thing he promotes is self regulation,discipline and responsible behavior. Which I believe are representative of the kind of people that any of us would have no issues with as a next door neighbor.

They call Peterson dangerous because he is eloquent and is very capable of taking apart the leftists narratives regarding how we should be living our lives.

No matter what continent a person is living on, the taxes and regulations are spiraling upward and our so called Elites think that making things more expensive and shoving us into high density housing and being forced to give away our time waiting in the rain for a Goddamned bus ride to our part time job is the answer to “healing the earth “. They will all continue to fly to distant places on a whim, of course.

The fact is that government doesn’t want us to continue to drive our extremely Efficient Fiesta’s or any vehicle at all. I must confess that I will not be one of the people who “will own nothing and be happy”.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Scottman said:

They call Peterson dangerous because he is eloquent and is very capable of taking apart the leftists narratives regarding how we should be living our lives.

I bet he won't be donating to Oxfam in future either😃:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11869961/Oxfams-new-92-page-inclusivity-guide-calls-English-language-colonising-nation.html

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I bet he won't be donating to Oxfam in future either😃

Are you allowed to say, 'he'?? 🤣

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StephenFord said:

St Greta announced definitively that humanity only had another 5 years

but which is the real St. Greta and which are the alien clones come to take over the world ?

Alien.JPG

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club