Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

New Covid vaccine - would you take it?

zain611

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

... so we should be ok for a spot of clubbing, whatever!😀

It's OK, I believe they now use santising foam at the end LOL

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

It's OK, I believe they now use santising foam at the end LOL

Do they still have foam parties nowadays? :laugh: 

16 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Do they still have foam parties nowadays? :laugh: 

Well, they did in the 80s 😁 (Told you, I'm old LOL)

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Well, they did in the 80s 😁 (Told you, I'm old LOL)

Oh, it was definitely still going in the late 00's lol!  Seems like a H&S nightmare now though. :biggrin: 

• Haha 1

Just been in local Tesco this morning - lovely and cool in there. Their policy is still mask wearing and everyone was. Still got the traffic light system but pretty quiet this morning so not needed.

Nipped in a local BP filling station (with M&S franchise) on the way back. Still requesting masks there.

(Normally I use pay at pump at Tesco but they've been digging up the filling station for the last 2 months with no reason given. I suspect it's new/extra pumps/tanks associated with E10 but its supposed to reopen August so I'll find out soon.)

• Like 2

Shopping at Sainsbury’s 99.9% wearing a mask.I actually seen a pedestrian wearing a mask outside in 29 degrees of heat.🤔

23 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Shopping at Sainsbury’s 99.9% wearing a mask.I actually seen a pedestrian wearing a mask outside in 29 degrees of heat.🤔

No crash helmet? What if they got struck by a falling asteroid LOL

On 7/19/2021 at 11:38 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Then to the local Co-op store, which had dropped all distancing and signage and replaced It with "Please feel free to wear a mask".

Or, equally, feel free not to. Been in my local Co-op twice so far this week and no-one was wearing a mask, apart from a guy this morning who was wandering round with his hanky over his nose. Maybe he just had a cold!

Interesting thing to me was now they've dropped the "one in one out" rule they were operating, and the one-way system round the store, and so on, you're in and out far quicker thus greatly reducing any chance of you or others picking something up anyway.

It was a similar story in the local Tesco, where they are still operating a mask rule (which is being observed), but allowing unimpeded circulation round the store, which minimises your time in there anyway. Plus of course, there's not much to buy because of all the staff and others in the supply chain who have been "pinged" by the app.

Surprising that so many have still not deleted it, we never bothered with it in the first place.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Surprising that so many have still not deleted it, we never bothered with it in the first place.

If you get 10 days off work every time you get pinged (on full pay), why would you delete it?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

If you get 10 days off work every time you get pinged (on full pay), why would you delete it?

Yeah,we've discussed the relationship between pings and heavy traffic heading for the coast on sunny days, previously😀.

It would probably depend on how your employer treats this, bearing in mind there's no legal requirement with the app, unlike an instruction from NHS Test and Trace where there is.

Someone I know who has been pinged but does want to go to work was trying to find out the position. Seems by no means clear - many  "good" employers would pay sick pay if they have a company sick pay scheme (this chap's doesn't) but it appears they're under no obligation to do so as you're not technically "sick". Or you could get SSP (if you qualify or have not already exceeded the limit of 28 weeks SSP), or you might be able to be furloughed. All seems a bit of a mess.

Well, it looked like the pingdemic was in full swing at Sainsbury's this morning...  Taken me over a week to actually get there only to find several empty shelves!  :sad:

Was also really disorientating now they've removed the barriers and screens.  I do the self scan shop but ended up in the basket checkouts lol. :unsure:

22 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

... only to find several empty shelves!  :sad:

Bet they had loads of hand sanitiser though! LOL (Bit of a nonsense however, with an airborne virus, but nice to see folk washing their hands for a change!)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Well, it looked like the pingdemic was in full swing at Sainsbury's this morning...  Taken me over a week to actually get there only to find several empty shelves!  :sad:

Might just be coincidence but Sainsbury's is the only place so far we've not been able to complete our shop. Worked out ok as the little Costcutter round the corner had ample stocks of what Sainsbury's didn't have.

No problems as yet at Tesco or the local Co-op (which has the "feel free to wear a mask" policy - most customers including yours truly seem to feel free not to😀).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Bet they had loads of hand sanitiser though! LOL (Bit of a nonsense however, with an airborne virus, but nice to see folk washing their hands for a change!)

Yes, it's almost funny that the one thing that's finally got people hand washing is something that hand washing is not very effective against!😀 No bad thing though, plenty of other stuff that hand washing is good for!

• Thanks 1

No, it is effective because people touch their faces with their hands all the time.  Hands, face and space does make sense as a mantra.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

By no means. Two shot were more than enough.

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Well, it looked like the pingdemic was in full swing at Sainsbury's this morning... 

The pingdemic is only a tiny part of the supply problems, the government relaxed driver hours due to supply issues well before the word pingdemic had been thought up. There has been a shortage of HGV drivers for a long time, poor wages, unsocial hours and pretty crap conditions  have put many people off, this was alleviated to some extent by using drivers from poor EU counties like Poland and then Romania, but  Brexit make if much more difficult for them to work here and of course some returned during lockdown to be home with family.

The end of Covid will not stop the driver storage, the EU drivers won't come back, so these companies will have to raise wages to encourage new drivers, and I'm sure all those who said the Europeans stole our jobs will be banging on the door for a HGV job, they'll gladdy take Tesco £1000 starting bouns

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

No, it is effective because people touch their faces with their hands all the time.  Hands, face and space does make sense as a mantra.

It's a bit academic for those of us who do it anyway. My point was it's perhaps not that effective against a largely air borne respiratory virus like Covid, compared to germs that spread on surfaces, yet fear of Covid has got people doing it, which is a good thing anyway.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mark-UK said:

There has been a shortage of HGV drivers for a long time,

I wonder if this is a regional issue. My brother in law was made redundant from his last two HGV jobs and never managed to get another.

I remember helping him "jobseek" spending a week on the phone/internet contacting every transport firm within a 50 mile radius (and that's a lot of calls) and not one wanted any drivers. He's now delivering veterinary pharmaceuticals in a Transit type van.

As you say, wages not great anyway, plus cost of keeping the licence like medicals, driver CPC training etc, which firms seem to expect drivers to bear.

every transport firm around here are constantly advertising for drivers and have done for quite a while, same goes for technicians to fix the lorries . 

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

It's a bit academic for those of us who do it anyway. My point was it's perhaps not that effective against a largely air borne respiratory virus like Covid, compared to germs that spread on surfaces, yet fear of Covid has got people doing it, which is a good thing anyway.

So COVID doesn’t land at any time? remain on that surface for hours if not days where it can be transferred to someone’s hands, then if they touched their face,rubbed their eyes etc, that would be a way to spread the virus. Is that not one of the main ways it’s been spread, I think I’ve seen that on the news said by scientist and medical professionals and not just some “Facebook expert”.

Some companies have had HGV drivers quit and move to courier driving jobs, they were on furlough and went to that job to earn more and have something to do, they’ve now stayed as the money is better, the original company now has to increase the pay to attract more drivers. 

9 minutes ago, MarksST said:

So COVID doesn’t land at any time?

I don't think I actually said that it didn't, Mark, nor do I frequent Facebook, Twitter etc. 

The advice on Gov.Uk where I do Iook for information, makes it pretty clear that the primary risk of infection is through airborne transmission particularly in close proximity in enclosed spaces, with the potential for contamination from surfaces, hence the advice on handwashing and sanitising.

The most effective tool we have against Covid is vaccine, followed by distancing/fresh air, face coverings in crowded places and handwashing.

Once again, my point is that it has taken Covid to get people to adopt handwashing which is a sensible hygiene measure at any time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

The most effective tool we have against Covid is vaccine, followed by distancing/fresh air, face coverings in crowded places and handwashing.

Hence the results of a recent report stating that the installation of those plastic screens everywhere which the government recommended business spend £Millions on are not only ineffective, they are actually detrimental.

They create pockets of stale air which allows the virus to be more dangerous, rather than being dispersed in open air. Kinda like wallowing in your own dirty bath water rather than taking a fresh shower.

Of course, the government are keeping surprisingly quiet about this, I have no idea why. 😁

• Haha 1

Just now, StephenFord said:

Hence the results of a recent report stating that the installation of those plastic screens everywhere which the government recommended business spend £Millions on are not only ineffective, they are actually detrimental.

They create pockets of stale air which allows the virus to be more dangerous, rather than being dispersed in open air. Kinda like wallowing in your own dirty bath water rather than taking a fresh shower.

Of course, the government are keeping surprisingly quiet about this, I have no idea why. 😁

Link to this report?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club