Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Focus Mk4 Engine cover...missing? (photos)


Timber Maniac
 Share

Recommended Posts

Has anyone bought a focus st line/x since November this year? I've only just gotten round to popping the hood, and I was surprised to see that there was no cover on top of the engine, is this unusual?

Many thanks, 

Phil. 

20201224_134840.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Timber Maniac changed the title to Focus Mk4 Engine cover...missing? (photos)

13 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Factories make mistakes. 
Back to dealer with that. 

Nope, not fitted anymore on certain vehicles. There's a slightly different routing on the fuel pipes for some reason that gets in the way of the cover. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 minutes ago, iantt said:

Nope, not fitted anymore on certain vehicles. There's a slightly different routing on the fuel pipes for some reason that gets in the way of the cover. 

You’d think they would just make a cover that accommodates the pipes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

You’d think they would just make a cover that accommodates the pipes!

Yeah, you would have thought. Only seen a few so far without covers , and did compare to see what the difference was. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Covers are indeed available. eBay would be a good bet, although you can get them new from Ford - £53 new, £25 eBay.

Any cars from Sept 2020 build onward don't now come with engine covers which is disappointing cos the engines look a real mess without them but then like the missing isofix covers, it's more Ford penny pinching. I think Ford will live to regret this because all owners are going to open the bonnet/hood at some point and it's not a good look.

I am in the process of fitting a cover to mine but it's not going to be easy. The cover is going to need to be shaved down on the inside where there are new pipes - the fuel line is one. Then I need to make sure the cover sits low enough not to be squished by the bonnet. Def not a 5 minute job. 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not just the Engine Cover either my Son has just taken delivery of a new Focus ST Line X MHEV and in addition to the now deleted Engine Cover it is now minus the neat covers where the wing meets the scuttle presumably to accommodate the re positioned washer bottle filler on the drivers side which does not look to bad but the passenger side has a hideous black bin bag shoved down the side of the wing all this on a £26k vehicle what are Ford thinking surely they could have kept the original passenger side cover and re designed the drivers side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Midgeman said:

Not just the Engine Cover either my Son has just taken delivery of a new Focus ST Line X MHEV and in addition to the now deleted Engine Cover it is now minus the neat covers where the wing meets the scuttle presumably to accommodate the re positioned washer bottle filler on the drivers side which does not look to bad but the passenger side has a hideous black bin bag shoved down the side of the wing all this on a £26k vehicle what are Ford thinking surely they could have kept the original passenger side cover and re designed the drivers side.

Th bin liner was mentioned on another thread recently...  Seems to be on all Mk4's, but hidden on the earlier ones.

@Tizer Did you get a chance to see what's inside it yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Midgeman said:

I think it is to hold the foam type sound deadening insulation which is also on the drivers side but is mainly  hidden by the washer bottle filler

If it is then surely there's a better way to waterproof it than raiding the cleaning supply cupboard...  Not to mention that the amount of engine noise without the cover is so intrusive they're just wasting money padding out the wings! :laugh: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

 Did you get a chance to see what's inside it yet?

I did Tom and I've been trying to upload a photo for the last few days both from my Laptop and Phone but I keep getting an Error - 200. It looks exactly like an Alarm Sounder, a bit like a scaled up cigarette packet, rectangular at one end but rounded at the other.

The frightening thing is that all the water is directed down the outer side of it and onto the padding ( I have the extra bit of plastic gutter). Looks like a disaster waiting to happen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I currently have a Vignalle which has ALL the required (in my opinion) plastic bits under the bonnet to not only look good but also help with diverting as much water as possible. So if I can be persuaded by Ford to take on another Focus in 18 months time I will remove the bits from my current car and alter them to fit the new one😃

Edited by Midgeman
Additional info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Tizer said:

I did Tom and I've been trying to upload a photo for the last few days both from my Laptop and Phone but I keep getting an Error - 200. It looks exactly like an Alarm Sounder, a bit like a scaled up cigarette packet, rectangular at one end but rounded at the other.

The frightening thing is that all the water is directed down the outer side of it and onto the padding ( I have the extra bit of plastic gutter). Looks like a disaster waiting to happen. 

Ah, thanks for checking, been wondering about it all weekend haha! :biggrin:  Doesn't sound like a brilliant design though. :unsure: 

The -200 error seems to happen to everyone on here now.  If you screenshot the photo on your phone, it should upload from the screenshot folder ok.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Midgeman said:

I currently have a Vignalle which has ALL the required (in my opinion) plastic bits under the bonnet to not only look good but also help with diverting as much water as possible. So if I can be persuaded by Ford to take on another in 18 months time I will remove the bits from my current car and alter them to fit the new one😃

Reckon you'll be lucky if they still fit an engine as standard in 18 months time... :rolleyes: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah, thanks for checking, been wondering about it all weekend haha! :biggrin:  Doesn't sound like a brilliant design though. :unsure: 

The -200 error seems to happen to everyone on here now.  If you screenshot the photo on your phone, it should upload from the screenshot folder ok.

 

Here is a screenshot. It does look like a Sounder, unless anyone knows different. 

Screenshot_20210418-135055.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greetings from Germany, i've been looking around the internet for some time now an just now found this topic. I've ordered my Focus ST in Aug 2020, built in Nov 2020 (thankfully with engine cover 😁) and was wondering about those black bags on both sides. One bag is a bit ripped open since the beginning.

Last week i realized there is normally a plastic piece on both sides which diverts the water away from the damping foam and engine. My dealer told me that maybe it's better this way because the water doesn't flow to the body parts but directly into the wheel arch to dry off.. i'm still not sure about that

he also told me that he could order those parts for me if i wanted to (on my car the washer fluid is placed next to the coolant)

p.s. the damping bags also have a parts number if someone was wondering: 1846364

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm almost tempted to order a couple just to see the faces of the parts department guys when they look up the part number.

Do you think I would have to pay the plastic bag tax ?🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, unofix said:

I'm almost tempted to order a couple just to see the faces of the parts department guys when they look up the part number.

Do you think I would have to pay the plastic bag tax ?🤣

They're terribly thin so should only be 5p each...  Definitely not thick enough to demand Bag For Life money!! :laugh: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On a serious note, as this is sort of a Mk4 bonnet thread, I had a hell of a job opening the bonnet to have a look yesterday.  It just wouldn't release from the interior lever.  Was fine a month ago on the day I got the car.    Probably worth anyone else with a newish Mk4 trying the bonnet release asap, and possibly even periodically, in case it won't open when you really need it to.  I know it takes 2 pulls but I must have needed about 6 before it released the first click! :unsure: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Tom, thanks for the heads up on that. Going to be doing some work on mine today so will check. Did you know that if for any reason you are unable to open the passenger door say parked inside your garage at home with a flat battery (not that would ever happen),  then you have to break the bonnet release handle off and use a screwdriver to operate the bonnet release !!!!!!    It's in the handbook

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share





×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership