Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Focus Vignale 2.0 diesel auto Estate 2019

Alan59

Any fellow members have this vehicle.

I would be interested to know who else is having issues with the start stop system.

Mine has been back t the dealer 4 times to troubleshoot the reason why mine has not worked in my past years ownership of this car.

Reasons given

1. battery is not warm enough
  2. battery too warm
  3. not driven far enough
  4. driven too far 
  5. driving the car incorrectly
  6. using a/c
  7. lights
  8. heated seats
  9. heated steering wheel 
  10. bliss

I turned off 6-10 and it still does not work.

The dealership had the car in for its second service recently and whilst they had it I got them to charge the battery.

when I picked it up it worked all the way home.

the following day no stop/start and it’s not worked since it’s going back again next week, but I just want to understand if they are just fobbing me off or are all the 2.0 ltr focus Vignale’s the same and if so there is something drastically wrong with the charging system if you buy a car with all the toys on it but you can’t use them.

Help would be appreciated.

It seems common on the mk4 Focus for the stop start system to rarely work.

I've had my car 8 months now and mine has probably only worked about a dozen times and I do a lot of long journeys.

This is the 1st stop start car I have owned and I prefer it not working. 

• Like 1

Same here, 2.0 ltr diesel.  It has started working intermittently recently when I have been driving daily, but not always at logical times like early after starting in the morning but not later on in the same journey.  Previously even after a long (>500 miles) journey it did not work.  I don't do much start/stop traffic type driving so does not bother me at all and I tend to switch it off when in traffic to stop it coming on anyway so it suits me that it doesn't work.  More of a pain when it operates when I don't expect it.  I would rather this didn't work to keep the battery charged than some of the other items like heated windscreen or heated seats/steering wheel.

• Like 1

Same here, 2.0 ltr diesel.  It has started working intermittently recently when I have been driving daily, but not always at logical times like early after starting in the morning but not later on in the same journey.  Previously even after a long (>500 miles) journey it did not work.  I don't do much start/stop traffic type driving so does not bother me at all and I tend to switch it off when in traffic to stop it coming on anyway so it suits me that it doesn't work.  More of a pain when it operates when I don't expect it.  I would rather this didn't work to keep the battery charged than some of the other items like heated windscreen or heated seats/steering wheel.

They all do that sir, it's a characteristic!!

Oh, and Ford electronics are a pile of *****!!!

Mine lasted about 3 months before it packed up. I think it may be the crap batteries Ford use.

This lad in Germany got to the root of his stop start problems. The incorrect battery management sensor had been fitted at the factory. Might be worth a look.

3107A1B8-CB74-4BB0-872C-767B0F1B1B86.thumb.png.22f9a360f4fdb99c8b310a4789a83486.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hate Start/Stop. Think I might try and get the wrong sensor if helps make the system not work. 😉

• Haha 1

Mine worked for a few months from new Oct 19. 
Then had 2 months never worked at all. But the last year it’s worked consistently. Heated windscreen seems to be the only thing that will stop it. 

Well mine has whats being called the wrong sensor and as long as the battery has a reasonable charge stop start works. so much so I have to turn it off because I hate it. Ford have probably just started using a later sensor version at some point during production that the German guy got fitted. If this had been a major issue then the sensor would have been replaced during a service or there would have been a recall.

• Like 1

Would be interesting to know how many Focus MK4 are fitted with the 4.6 Sensor and how many are fitted with the 5.3 and I am not convinced that the Sensor would have ben replaced during a routine service if the service Dep at my local Ford Dealership is anything to go by because as Alan59 has stated above some of the excuses they come up with are ridiculous they almost sound like a sketch from Monty Python  

• Like 1

They would have to replace it if Ford issued a notice to that effect and it would probably show in Etis as well.Theres probably thousands of vehicles with the 4.6 sensor but that doesn't mean its faulty. My car has it and functions as expected.

Just checked mine and it's 5.3 and -BD, Oct 19 car.

Mine has 4.6 & BC, Auto Start Stop works as expected. Aug ‘19 build.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club