Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GPS not working after SYNC3 update

DuncanJones

1 hour ago, Rcheesley said:

Wondered if it's coincidence or if they pushed the update somehow. No idea, but either way glad to have it working again!

Interesting, I know that Ford push updates of the Telematics Control Module over the air without any notification in the car but I do not know if they can do the same with the Sync Module, or maybe it was the Telematics Module was causing the problem with the Sync unit.  

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

Sounds like you got the update OTA (over the air). Got wifi on your driveway ? 

Yeah, but it has been connected on the driveway for weeks, and this happened when I'd been out driving for about 20 minutes, completely without any warning. Very weird! May be totally coincidental but the timing just seemed like it could be related. Who knows! I'd all but given up to be honest!

17 hours ago, Rcheesley said:

Hi folks, been following this as a lurker since my GPS got bricked with the latest update a few months back. Took it into the dealer and came out with two new tyres but no fix for the GPS ... Apparently Ford was aware but there wasn't any fix yet.

Yesterday I had a call from the dealer reminding me that my MOT was due in November, and I asked about the GPS issue which still wasn't fixed, they said they didn't know and there wasn't anything in the system, I'd have to check when I came in for the MOT (I hadn't booked it yet).

Today totally out of the blue in the middle of a drive, the display switched off and restarted and it says update complete ... And low and behold the GPS is now working.

Here's the version it updated to: 3.4.21194_PRODUCT.

Worked great all the way home so fingers crossed it's fixed! Wondered if it's coincidence or if they pushed the update somehow. No idea, but either way glad to have it working again!

Yes, thats the latest Sync version and it does appear to have fixed the no GPS issue that some experienced after the previous update. 👍 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi All,

Any update on this one? Just bought second hand foucs (68), GPS not working. done updates and master reset etc. not working!

1 hour ago, Bradders1974 said:

Any update on this one? Just bought second hand foucs (68), GPS not working. done updates and master reset etc. not working!

Generally the official Ford dealer fix seems to be to replace the APIM at much expense.

The alternative which reportedly has worked for many who were told that they need a new APIM is to download the reformat tool from Cyan-Labs and use their system to redo the update.

The Cyan-Labs files are the same ones you get from Ford just packaged differently, and are much easier to install. The end result for most who have used it is a fully working system with the newest maps.

Cyan-Labs: https://cyanlabs.net/

8 hours ago, Bradders1974 said:

Hi All,

My 67 plate Titanium came with extended warranty so I hassled my FORD dealership. They changed the antenna, this didn't fix the fault. The APIM was fine. The fix I found for myself was switching off the Ford automatic updates (no big deal as it is rare you get anything). When I do that the Sat Nav works every single time with no 'no GPS' errors. When I switch it back on it faults intermittently.  Yours is a 68 plate Focus so I think it comes with the in built SIM card - mine doesn't.

2 hours ago, Geogjoe said:

My 67 plate Titanium came with extended warranty so I hassled my FORD dealership. They changed the antenna, this didn't fix the fault. The APIM was fine. The fix I found for myself was switching off the Ford automatic updates (no big deal as it is rare you get anything). When I do that the Sat Nav works every single time with no 'no GPS' errors. When I switch it back on it faults intermittently.  Yours is a 68 plate Focus so I think it comes with the in built SIM card - mine doesn't.

I’m wondering how or why you have an automatic update option on a car without a built in sim 🧐 2017 is mk3.5 , is it maybe part of whatever sync version u have even though it would never be possible 🤔 

I’ve had a mk4 for 3 years , auto update I’ve used once ..took forever! Anyway , hope that works for Bradders 

Hi All,

After a reset & master reset and wifi update which stated software was up to date (& still not working) I'm managed to fix thjis myself. I logged on to Ford downloads site and downloaded current softare to USB. Plug it in and it updated itself. Then its been fine. Worth a try if anyone still struggling. Thanks

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

HI all, I am having the same issue with a 67 plate focus. I brought from a garage recently and the stereo was really slow, so we have updated and now I dont seem to get the Maps, it just keeps saying Maps loading and then nothing happens. I have been intouch with customer support and the advised of a system restart and then a master restart. Now they have told me to take to a dealership but I am scared this is going to cost a fortune. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

It's been awhile since there has been anyone report this problem. last year it seemed a weekly occurrence.

It's better to just start the process all over again using the files and procedures from CyanLabs. You get the same files and Maps (often newer maps than currently available from Ford) and the process is easier than using the Ford site. They also have a reformat tool for Sync systems that are totally bricked.

Many on this forum now use only CyanLabs for the updates.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club