Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk3 pfl OEM reverse camera to rca

Rowan112

Hello my friend is wanting to upgrade his stereo on his mk3 pfl to an aftermarket one.

He has the OEM reverse camera.

I know that sync1 reverse camera connector is an HSD fakra and that only 2 of the pins are actually used.

Could I just tap into the wires without cutting off the HSD fakra and make it into an RCA or is there some kind of adaptor I can get. I can't seem to find one.

Last time I messed with a RCA wire the negative video was used as a shield around the wire, so it was a pain to handle.

I know you can get an adaptor for the sync unit itself to RCA so you can install an aftermarket one in but I can't seem to find one for OEM camera to aftermarket.

Female Rosenberger/Fakra HSD to male RCA adapters are quite rare and the ones that are available usually have a different pinout than the Ford rear view camera system.

I suggest to build the adapter yourself using a water blue (universal fitment) female Rosenberger/Fakra HSD connector and a decent quality RCA cable.

Be aware that the original rear view camera wil only display the camera image on an aftermarket audio system. The (dynamic) parking lines will not work.

5 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Female Rosenberger/Fakra HSD to male RCA adapters are quite rare and the ones that are available usually have a different pinout than the Ford rear view camera system.

I suggest to build the adapter yourself using a water blue (universal fitment) female Rosenberger/Fakra HSD connector and a decent quality RCA cable.

Be aware that the original rear view camera wil only display the camera image on an aftermarket audio system. The (dynamic) parking lines will not work.

Yeah I've seen people do that I am assuming those are aftermarket cameras

8 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

This correct?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301174915127

• Like 1

It is the correct type but this is a PCB mount connector. It is very hard to solder wires onto the tiny pins.

cable mount connectors of this type however are pretty rare. 

A few Years ago I made a few of these adapter cables using a Rosenberger HSD cable with female connectors at both sides. By cutting the cable in half I was able to make 2 Rosenberger HSD to RCA cables.

However the fact that the dynamic parking lines will no longer work when connected to an aftermarket audio system (the parking lines are projected over the image by the FCDIM) was reason for most people that initially showed interest to stick with the original audio system.

3 hours ago, JW1982 said:

It is the correct type but this is a PCB mount connector. It is very hard to solder wires onto the tiny pins.

cable mount connectors of this type however are pretty rare. 

A few Years ago I made a few of these adapter cables using a Rosenberger HSD cable with female connectors at both sides. By cutting the cable in half I was able to make 2 Rosenberger HSD to RCA cables.

However the fact that the dynamic parking lines will no longer work when connected to an aftermarket audio system (the parking lines are projected over the image by the FCDIM) was reason for most people that initially showed interest to stick with the original audio system.

i thought that they were projected by the BCM, guess i learn something new.

The rear view camera signal is sent directly from the camera to the FCDIM. The rear view camera module or the BCM (depending on the production date of the car) calculates and communicates all data that is required for the (active) parking lines in form of a CANbus signal. The FCDIM receives the CANbus signal and draws the parking lines onto the image.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 7:00 AM, JW1982 said:

The rear view camera signal is sent directly from the camera to the FCDIM. The rear view camera module or the BCM (depending on the production date of the car) calculates and communicates all data that is required for the (active) parking lines in form of a CANbus signal. The FCDIM receives the CANbus signal and draws the parking lines onto the image.

so i finally got to connect to the reverse camera to the stereo and the dynamic trajectory was working.
I was surprised to see it working.

So it appears you can get parking lines on aftermarket stereos, must be done on the BCM and be put on the video signal if that's the case.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club