Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre pressure system

Joe678

Hi there,

I bought my fiesta st mk7 last year and when i originally bought the car I was told I needed to get the front left tpms sensor replaced as the car would give a warning that the tyre sensor was not detected and to check manual plus to check tyre pressure. On top of this I’ve had to refill the air in tyres every week as they go down pretty quickly. After a while waiting for them send it out (they never did) I gave up and paid to have it replaced but with 4 new tyres as well as I changed to the slightly thicker 45 and after driving for about 30 minutes the message showed again so I contacted the garage and was told that maybe it needed to be resealed. I then noticed when refilling the tyres that the front drivers side and rear passenger were completely fine all the time and was just the front passenger and drivers rear letting out air. Yesterday I took the car to the garage and they replaced the front passenger tyre as it was a bit damaged and reseated the rear drivers side. Once again after driving the message reappeared so I check the tyres (again) and noticed it’s now only the drivers rear leaking air. I then checked all the valves to notice that the only tyre leaking air has a different valve to the other 3 tyres and looks pretty worn. I was wondering if this is a standard valve and not a tpms one I’ll post photos to see. The first photo is the one with air leaking out of and the 2nd photo is the one fitted on all the other 3 tyres which are completely fine

36BA02C4-58FF-4E17-8DBC-9C6E134A6CE1.jpeg

F2FA3F6D-1154-4694-BA08-4D5CFF0A42D8.jpeg

Top picture is a standard valve - Bottom picture is a TPS.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

Top picture is a standard valve - Bottom picture is a TPS.

Would that be why the car isn’t picking it up?

1 hour ago, Joe678 said:

Would that be why the car isn’t picking it up?

eerrr... yes!! 🤣

• Haha 2

Both can be tpms valves, the sensor is fixed onto the valve with a screw.

my metal valves have been ok but lots of ST owners have had them changed to rubber valves and some had the wheels replaced due to leaks.

• Like 1

Also if the black one is TPMS it may not be compatible or the correct one for your car 

1 hour ago, Lewie226 said:

the black one is TPMS it may not be compatible

The black valve is just a regular basic tyre valve.

43 minutes ago, unofix said:

The black valve is just a regular basic tyre valve.

The tpms valves look like that as well, 

my 2015 fiesta has Tyre pressure warning valves but all of them are the black rubber type. The sensor is fixed to the bottom of the rubber part, inside the tyre so you can't see it. Form the outside they just look like the standard valves from years ago that had no sensors. So I think the visual difference is a red herring.

if you want to check if it leaks around that valve take wheel off, pour soapy water around valve with wheel angled so it forms a puddle there and see if any bubbles appear, pull the valve stem about whilst you do this.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MarksST said:

my metal valves have been ok but lots of ST owners have had them changed to rubber valves and some had the wheels replaced due to leaks.

Think the pressure is okay with the rubber valve now but the cars still saying the tpms isn’t detected so I’m just gonna guess it’s that one. Garage are gonna check it tomorrow 

18 hours ago, MarksST said:

Didn't know that!

• Like 1

Original rubber Ford TPMS valves can be identified by the ridge just below the valve cap.

TPMS Warehouse

Rubber non TPMS valves do not this ridge.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Complicated things these TPMS sensors.

If one is replaced it needs to be cloned against the old one or paired to the vehicle. This is done with a special gadget--not the OBS system or the vehicle computer settings-- and a sequence of ignition/clutch/brake pedal operations.

I thought it can possibly be paired on a 20 min p,us journey 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my experience. I tok my ST alloys off, metal TPMS sensors fitted. Put on some steel wheels temporarily and every time I started I'd get warnings. I went through the menu and reset and about 15 minutes or so later the warnings would come back. Bought some ST-Line 17" alloys now and fitted them. The warnings haven't come back. Just saw this thread and went out and mine have the ridge as per above! SO yes, a long drive and the car will recognise and be happy with the replacement sensors it seems. 

I didn't realise these had them. I'll have to let a tyre down to double check but no idea how it knows which corner is which or why it's managed to pair with them. 

Certainly beats a ***** Renault, where you have to get the serial numbers and go into CLIP to register them. DEaler level only and about £100 just to code the Winter Wheels in! Robbing *****.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club