Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol Oil Additive

Theshed

I recently took on a 1999 1.8 petrol Mondeo, mileage is not unduly high but servicing has been minimal.

I am doing oil change. Does anyone have recommendations of oil additive I should use

9 hours ago, Theshed said:

I recently took on a 1999 1.8 petrol Mondeo, mileage is not unduly high but servicing has been minimal.

I am doing oil change. Does anyone have recommendations of oil additive I should use

Just use a good quality oil and filter.... no need for any additives. You can't undo any poor previous maintenance but you can make sure it doesn't get worse. Give it a new air filter and perhaps a set of plugs. Look to see if the cambelt has been changed. Don't forget that the cambelt is changed on mileage but also on age..... something like 8-10 years but check. After 22 years I doubt its on its original cambelt but even if it was changed at 10 years, it will be due again.  

• Like 1

Your spot on.  I have changed air filter and was thinking of running it with cheap oil for a short while then doing another change.

I have had the cambelt changed, which was original ! I have ordered a set of Bosch plugs. Anything else whilst under the bonnet ?

Brakes serviced and fluid due to be changed.

Thanks

If not already done, I would drain the radiator and replace with genuine Ford coolant (50/50 mix).

• Like 1

That's an obvious one. That I had missed  🙄

I assume coolant is standard 'blue' not the oats kind ?

My old 2000 W reg Mondeo had the red/orange antifreeze, definitely not blue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Theshed said:

That's an obvious one. That I had missed  🙄

I assume coolant is standard 'blue' not the oats kind ?

As pointed out by Frembrit, it should have the later orange/red type antifreeze. I've has a 1998 Mondeo and a 1999 Focus that had the orangey stuff. If there is blue stuff in there now you might want to flush it through. They don't mix well and the wrong type could damage the rubber seals in the cooling system. Make sure your new plugs are gapped correctly. Zetec engines of that era were sensitive to that. If I remember correctly, they should be gapped at 1.1mm. Larger gaps would shorten the life of the leads and coil pack. By all means put a cheap engine oil in as a "flushing oil" but personally I would only run it for a few miles before draining it and refilling with the good stuff. I would only change the oil filter on the final oil change. 

• Like 1

Hi Paul, as already said above the Ford anti-freeze is Red. It does not mix well with other types or other makes so flush the system and use the real Ford stuff.

Ford service "Super Plus Premium" Antifreeze/Coolant

Ford Specification WSS-M97B44-D   Part No. 2 361 569

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203547955341?epid=14038326072&hash=item2f6467508d:g:K68AAOSw-oFhCkou

• Like 1

Thanks all. Current 'coolant' is a murky grey colour 🤔. S'pose I was hoping it was Blue as that seems to be quite a bit cheaper.

I was also wondering about the plug gap, supplier recommends gap of 1.0mm, I only have manual for Mk 3 which says 1.3mm ?

Out of curiosity the Bosch plugs I bought, have printed on box 'Automotive Aftermarket'. Does this suggest they not same quality as OE ?

👍

Go with what Bosch recommend. I used to buy NGK for my ST24 which were pre-set. Similarly NGK for my friend's and family's 1.8 (130ps) Zetec's in 1992 XR3i's (Not sure if it's exactly the same as your engine)

2 hours ago, Theshed said:

Thanks all. Current 'coolant' is a murky grey colour 🤔. S'pose I was hoping it was Blue as that seems to be quite a bit cheaper.

I was also wondering about the plug gap, supplier recommends gap of 1.0mm, I only have manual for Mk 3 which says 1.3mm ?

Out of curiosity the Bosch plugs I bought, have printed on box 'Automotive Aftermarket'. Does this suggest they not same quality as OE ?

👍

The spark plug gap was originally 1.3mm when that engine series was launched but many people were experiencing misfires and HT lead/coil pack failures so they reduced the gap to 1.1mm. A larger gap gives a fatter spark which is better for the engine but a larger gap also puts more strain on the leads and coil pack. Back in the day, NGK were the only plugs worth fitting (The original Ford Motorcraft plugs were made by NGK). Bosch may be ok now. I haven't had a zetec engined car for quite a few years now so I'm out of touch. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that info'. Just spent an hour looking for my feeler gauges !

Been driving mainly diesels for many a year. So out of touch.

NGK seem the way for the future. I think the last Plugs I changed where Champion ?

2 hours ago, Theshed said:

Thanks for that info'. Just spent an hour looking for my feeler gauges !

Been driving mainly diesels for many a year. So out of touch.

NGK seem the way for the future. I think the last Plugs I changed where Champion ?

I also spent many a year on diesels before we got our current Fiestas. I had a Focus 2.0 TDCi which I kept for 10 years and I miss the torque. As for Champion plugs? I might fit one to my lawnmower at a push but that's it 🤣 

I also spent many a year on diesels before we got our current Fiestas. I had a Focus 2.0 TDCi which I kept for 10 years and I miss the torque. As for Champion plugs? I might fit one to my lawnmower at a push but that's it 🤣 

Hey ! In my day Champion where THE plugs ! 😃

6 minutes ago, Theshed said:

our Dog was Rebel !

Well we are way off topic just now but who cares?

Last night I had a dream about boyhood days and playing with my old school friend and his little dog "Rebel"  ........ now how odd is that ?

34 minutes ago, unofix said:

Well we are way off topic just now but who cares?

Last night I had a dream about boyhood days and playing with my old school friend and his little dog "Rebel"  ........ now how odd is that ?

From oil to Plugs and now horses. Or dogs !

Apologies to the mods'

BTW. My little dog Rebel, was a rather large Alsation. Great dog 🐕‍🦺

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club