Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heated washer jets

Theshed

Despite it being in the family since new I have just discovered it has heated washer jets !

I wondered how to turn them on so, I checked feeds at connector and they have permanent feed and ground provided ignition is on.

Is this normal ?

Also, I maybe late to this party but, is Vignale the Mondeo successor or is it a model in the Mondeo range ?

It's normal. The washer jet heating comes on with the ignition. 

Vignale is the top tier trim level. Originally it was applied only to the Mondeo, and the first Vignale-badged Mondeos in 2015 or so were just called "Vignale", but the name was later used for the top trim level across other Ford models. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

Vignale is the top tier trim leve

I have a Titanium X Focus which once upon a time would have been the dogs b0ll0cks, but now passes for only slightly better than mid range spec. Life was so much easier to understand with "L" "GL" "Ghia" 😟

• Like 1

Thanks for the answer. I do wonder if they would not burn out after all these years ?

So the Vignale is todays Ghia. As Unofix says it was so much easier with L, GL etc.

I guess it like actual car sizes. the once small cars get bigger and a new model fits below. Introduce a higher spec' and your top of the arrange is now mid.

Confusing to us mere mortals but perfect sense to manufacturers ...

When I was looking at early Mk4 Mondeos I started looking for Ghias, assuming that was the top trim level. That's when I learnt that Titanium, Titanium X and Titanium X Sport were all above Ghia. 

Also, the heated washer jet shouldn't burn out. It's more like a gentle warming. Just enough to melt any ice on the nozzles, but that's about it. So the nozzles will be ice free - it's just the hoses and water bottle that freeze up instead. Plus, if you have headlamp washers those will definitely sieze up! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Theshed said:

I do wonder if they would not burn out after all these years ?

I retro fitted these to a 2021 Puma, and to a 2007 Fiesta.  The Fiesta's were sourced from a scrappy (as the price new had climbed like gas from Russia)  and all worked.

On the Puma they were controlled by the HFS firing a thyristor, then stayed on until the ignition was turned off, on the Fiesta, I built a voltage sensing circuit so that with the engine running a relay was made and fed the washer jets.  I was going to fit a pair to the Fusion, but the bonnet panel bracing gets in the way !

Fitted to the upmarket Sierras and Granadas I believe from about 1990, and fed directly off the ignition.  My Sierra does not go out in the cold, so I don't know if they still work !

57 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

It's more like a gentle warming. Just enough to melt any ice on the nozzles, but that's about it.

Having played around with the scrappy sourced jets, they do take very little current.  On my Capris and the Puma, I added extra lengths of washer hose, and wrapped it around the heater hose to heat the washer liquid.  Used to work well on the Capris, but with the reservoir for the Puma in the wheel arch, that is where the freezing would strike.

• Like 1

The above comments reminded me of a 1984 Rover SD1 I owned. When I first bought, I noticed washer tubing running around the top of the engine.

What a mess I thought ? So duly removed and shortened the pipework. Yep, that was to stop them freezing  🤔

• Like 1

4 hours ago, erictcleric said:

When I was looking at early Mk4 Mondeos I started looking for Ghias, assuming that was the top trim level. That's when I learnt that Titanium, Titanium X and Titanium X Sport were all above Ghia. 

I wonder where that places the Ghia X then.... 🤔 

10 minutes ago, nicam49 said:

I wonder where that places the Ghia X then.... 🤔 

Easy - it's the highest trim level. Unless it isn't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club