Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Full size spare wheel foam

John33

hi all.

We have a 2008 Focus hatchback and it came with the space save tyre.
I spotted on eBay the boot foam inserts that allow you to have a full size spare wheel(FSSW). I purchased these and fitted them along with a FSSW on a steel rim.
The issue I have now is, there is a void between the height of the FSSW and the boot carpet (which does not fit as before, makes me think there is another version of the carpet for those that came with a FSSW from new) causing the carpet to dip.
Is there a foam insert that needs to fit between either;
the spare and carpet or
under the spare to raise the height to stop the carpet dipping?
Cheers
John

There used to be a high density polystyrene molded disc that sat on top of the spare wheel to keep the floor level. Given how rare it was even back in 2008 for cars to be factory supplied with a full size spare wheel, I would say that 14 years further down the line the chances of finding  the original part is very slim. 

• Like 1

Cheers UnoFix. I did wonder if there would be a foam insert. Time to go hunting. The foam insert wasnt something I had considered when I got the foam and the FSSW.

Cheers

john

12 minutes ago, John33 said:

Cheers UnoFix. I did wonder if there would be a foam insert. Time to go hunting. The foam insert wasnt something I had considered when I got the foam and the FSSW.

Cheers

john

To be honest, if you can use a junior hacksaw, all you need is a bit of foam/polystyrene which is usually thrown out in terms of packing. Time to scrounge from a local shop/warehouse!

• Like 1

Very similar, but I think that is the one that sits on top of a space saver

There is that option as well.

My Mk2 has a full size spare wheel. There is a black foam donut that sits underneath the spare wheel. The carpet sits straight onto the top of the wheel. You will also need a longer screw to keep the wheel in place in the compartment.

I saw someone selling the full set of FSSW foam inserts on eBay for £100.

I am still thinking about trading my 1.6 for a 2 litre. I am planning to keep the full size spare and foam inserts to put into the 2.0 boot if I do actually do it.

Cheers AntonovAN12
I have the longer screw, that came with the foam.
Would it be a lot of trouble for a pic or part number of the foam donut?

I have seen this type
image.png.028be246abd9633fd777d3cf4c55ea45.png
and this type as posted by Unofix.

image.png.a763ae3968864bdeae6199d121920669.png

And one like this that contains the tools
image.thumb.png.7c7111a209b791dcfb8d88be02d13565.png

And I think the one in the car currently is like this

image.png.368797648a9becabb53eda9cd6e1c600.png

Cheers

john

I can confirm that mine has the same part number (4M51-1K302-AA) as the one in the eBay listing in my last post.

Thanks AntonovAN12 for confirming part number, I will get one ordered. Sorry for the delay in replying I was at a 24hr KA Endurance race.
Cheers

john

10 minutes ago, John33 said:

I was at a 24hr KA Endurance race.

Wow, you found a Ford that can run for 24 hours continuous use - who knew! 🤣

Yea I think 22 of 23 finished.
1.5 mile circuit, roughly 850 laps, over 1000 miles in 24hrs and not sure how much fuel a racing KA will use.

12 minutes ago, John33 said:

... and not sure how much fuel a racing KA will use.

Well if we assume a racing engine does 15Mpg,that'll be just under 1500 gallons (6810 liters) of fuel used for all - fabulous! Don't you just love fossil fuel! Just think, battery cars would have survived about 130 laps, though the endurance would be the crowd waiting there a whole week to see it through all the recharging LOL 🤣

• Haha 1

Thats a lot of fuel. The crews were buying fuel at the venue at a cost of £1.89/per litre.  😮

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club