Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stretch belts mk2 1.6 ti (2006)

scoobydo123
聽Share

Just done the timing belt everything went well until I came to try and fit the stretch belts back on. The crank pulley had two belts on. Back belt drives water pump alternator and power steering front belt drives the ac compressor. Anyone got any tips for getting them back on? This is聽 now holding me up finishing the job 馃槥 have seen a tool that looks like it bolts to waterpump pulley and that walks it on but price not so good. I know when I done a fiesta the new belt came with a piece of metal that slipped on the crank to pull the belt on but this was a single track pulley.聽 Thanks in advance

24 minutes ago, scoobydo123 said:

Just done the timing belt everything went well until I came to try and fit the stretch belts back on. The crank pulley had two belts on. Back belt drives water pump alternator and power steering front belt drives the ac compressor. Anyone got any tips for getting them back on? This is聽 now holding me up finishing the job 馃槥 have seen a tool that looks like it bolts to waterpump pulley and that walks it on but price not so good. I know when I done a fiesta the new belt came with a piece of metal that slipped on the crank to pull the belt on but this was a single track pulley.聽 Thanks in advance

I had to use this tool to do it on my old car聽https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254728519511?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=qq-O3AJoSV6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=7Sl-KwUsRoG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY聽and followed this guide聽

1, Wipe clean all of the pulleys to make sure that the accessory drive belt does not slip during installation

2,CAUTION: Make sure that the accessory drive belt guide tool is correctly fitted to the crankshaft pulley. The center of the accessory drive belt guide tool must be in the 12 o'clock position and the curved face is closest to the engine. Failure to follow this instruction may result in damage to the accessory drive belt during installation. Install the accessory drive belt guide tool (supplied in the parts kit) to the crankshaft pulley so that the center of the tool is at the 12 o'clock position (engine shown removed for clarity).

graphic

3,Position the accessory drive belt around the crankshaft pulley, power steering pump pulley and coolant pump pulley in the position shown (engine shown removed for clarity).

graphic

4,CAUTION: Make sure that an audible click is heard when the accessory drive belt installation tool locking tang is fitted to the coolant pump pulley. Failure to follow this instruction may result in damage to the accessory drive belt during installation. Install the accessory drive belt installation tool (supplied in the parts kit) to the coolant pump pulley in the position shown (engine shown removed for clarity

graphic

5,Rotate the accessory drive belt installation tool 90 degrees counterclockwise to the position shown (engine shown removed for clarity

graphic

NOTE: Make sure that the accessory drive belt is correctly positioned into the grooves of the pulleys.

Slide the accessory drive belt off the coolant pump pulley and reposition around the accessory drive belt installation tool and generator pulley in the position shown (engine shown removed for clarity聽

graphic

7,CAUTION: Make sure that the accessory drive belt is correctly aligned to the accessory drive belt installation tool. Failure to follow this instruction may result in damage to the accessory drive belt. Rotate the accessory drive belt installation tool clockwise by hand until the accessory drive belt tension has increased (engine shown removed for clarity).

graphic

8,Make sure that this step is carried out from in front of the engine mounting. Failure to follow this instruction may result in damage to the accessory drive belt and installation tool.

NOTE: Make sure that the accessory drive belt is correctly positioned into the grooves of the pulleys.

Install the accessory drive belt. (engine shown removed for clarity).

• Using a suitable spanner, rotate the accessory drive belt installation tool approximately 45 degrees clockwise and hold.
  • Using a second spanner, continue to rotate the accessory drive belt installation tool clockwise until the the accessory drive belt has been installed.

graphic

9,Using a suitable tool release the accessory drive belt installation tool locking tang from the coolant pump pulley.

graphic

10,Remove and discard the accessory drive belt guide tool.

graphic

11,Install the A/C compressor belt installation tool (supplied in the parts kit) to the crankshaft pulley at the 7 o'clock position (engine shown removed for clarity).

graphic

12,Install the A/C compressor belt around the A/C compressor pulley, under the crankshaft pulley and around the A/C compressor belt installation tool

graphic

13,Rotate the A/C compressor belt installation tool clockwise by hand until the A/C compressor belt tension has increased

graphic

• NOTE: Only turn the engine in the normal direction of rotation.

NOTE: Guide the A/C compressor belt onto the crankshaft pulley by hand as the crankshaft pulley is rotated.

Turn the engine until the A/C compressor belt installation tool is at the 3 o'clock position.

graphic

OK was rather hoping that there was a way without that tool hard to justify for one off use. You are not local to Romford essex are you?Thanks聽

13 minutes ago, scoobydo123 said:

OK was rather hoping that there was a way without that tool hard to justify for one off use. You are not local to Romford essex are you?Thanks聽

No sorry I'm in Scotland. The tool makes it easier to get it done and avoids warping the belt聽

I've done several with a small, thin pry bar tool from Poundland.聽 Not really the right way to it though!

Just as an update for others who stumble across this. I ordered the Dayco kit from Euro's and it came with the above mentioned install tools. So you get the 2 belts and the 2 tools for 43.99. Job done and fired up after the timing belt change.

Have got an oil leak that is dripping down onto the compressor was already wet with oil there wil post up some pictures but left phone at home so cannot do that now. Will start a new thread.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club