Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Trend Turbo oil change after one year

Marlburian

I probably know the answer already but ...

I've had my Fiesta Ecoboost from new for 11 months and am mindful of the many exhortations to have an oil change after a year, especially as I've done only 2,400 miles. Today I checked the current oil life and it was 59% - a lot higher than I would have thought.

The thought did cross my mind that perhaps an oil change wouldn't be necessary after all, but I guess that in a year's time, as my first service falls due, the oil life may be down to 15% and I gather that's about that level that warning signs start flashing.

I also understand that the dealer will invite me to take the car in for a visual inspection as a condition of extending free roadside assistance. (Can't say I'm keen on returning there, after it had a "mix up" in charging me £399 for complimentary bodywork protection.)

I'm probably the least motor-minded member of this Forum, and I'm anticipating that the advice of the more knowledgeable will be to have the oil changed - and the filter too?

I have a Fiesta that’s approaching one year old on September 1st and has covered 5,000 miles. I’ve booked my car in for a convenience check to renew the roadside assistance and also an engine oil and filter change.

For me, I’ve done mainly 12 months of short journeys, so I believe an oil and filter change would be beneficial.

Pre-pandemic where I covered a decent mileage with my job and drove diesel Fiesta’s or Focus and the cars were doing a couple of 300 mile journeys on motorways each week I’d just follow the manufacturer guidance as these cars sat at operating temperature for most of their time.

Right now it’s rare my car has a decent run and less chance to burn off any contamination in the oil so for me a 12 month oil change (£100) gives me some peace of mind.

• Like 1

Back in the 90's when you bought a new car it would have an (free) oil change at 1000 miles. and then every year

I'd certainly recommend an oil and filter change at 12 months on your low mileage.

The "convenience check" is not compulsory but if carried out does include up to 1 litre of oil for topping up. I get them to put this towards the cost of the oil change.

Be aware that not all Ford dealerships now participate in the breakdown cover extension scheme and some members have been caught out. The list of participating dealers attached may be out of date now, so best to check when booking your car in. 

SARA-participating-dealer-list-April-18 (1).pdf

you're never going to cause any damaged changing the oil more often than recommended 

But you don't need to pay Ford's extortionate prices to do it

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

you're never going to cause any damaged changing the oil more often than recommended 

But you don't need to pay Ford's extortionate prices to do it

His cars 1 year old - while it's still under warranty you really need a Ford Dealer stamp - if anything goes wrong with the engine they will blame the "wrong oil"

Not as long as you have a VAT invoice listing the oil used to be correct spec. Law was changed some time ago to remove servicing monopoly from dealers

1 hour ago, Tiexen said:

His cars 1 year old - while it's still under warranty you really need a Ford Dealer stamp 

There's no provision in my service book to record anything other than scheduled service items, so the "convenience check" (optional)  and the additional oil changes I've had every 12 months are only shown on an invoice.

When about to sell my 2008 Honda Civic last year I couldn't find the log book (which I left on the passenger seat when having it serviced). I wondered if this would affect the price when trading-in or selling to a "buy-any-car" type dealer. Luckily I'd kept all the paperwork and the son of a friend desperately needed a cheap second-hand car and offered me £500 more than the trade-in quote.

I'll check with the dealer for a quote and to see if they offer breakdown cover extension scheme. Otherwise I might be tempted by a Halfords within walking distance of me (rather than the dealer the other side of town), though  I'll disingenuously ask what oil they propose using - and stress that I want it specified on the invoice.

(I'm minded to trade the car in before the fourth anniversary of purchase, so am not too concerned about Ford's goodwill in the event of a problem.)

5 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

There's no provision in my service book to record anything other than scheduled service items, so the "convenience check" (optional)  and the additional oil changes I've had every 12 months are only shown on an invoice.

Its all online now no more books to stamp

So I rang the dealer who supplied my car 11 months ago and asked about “just” a change of oil and filter and the breakdown cover extension scheme.  A bit confusing for both of us, especially when I tried to read the lady my car registration number off my page on the dealer’s website. Somehow a “1” had been added at the front of the number.

To obtain an extension, she said that my car could either have a full service or a “lookover” at £125, but that a service wasn’t needed until two years. I explained that I had been  urged to have an oil and filter change after a year. “Oh, who told you that?” she asked. I replied that it was well-known that wet-belts were vulnerable, that frequent oil changes were needed especially for low mileage, and that there had been a number of failures after the thee-year warranty period, leading to very expensive engine replacements. “I couldn’t possibly comment on that,” she said defensively.

She said that someone would ring me back. Actually it was an email quoting a price of £265.19 for an “oil change service”… Nothing about breakdown cover being extended.

I rang my local Halfords, where a guy couldn’t locate my model on his “system”, so I have to ring back tomorrow to speak to his manager ...

Then I rang another Ford service centre, to be told it was taking no service bookings until the end of September, because of a shortage of staff.

EDIT: Just rung another dealer 21 miles away (so three times as far from me as the first one, but a rather more pleasant drive): £235. At least the lady knew what she - and I - was talking about.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just had a quote of £95 from Halfords, 25 minutes' walk down the road.I did make the point about using 5w20 which they seemed to get. I'll reinforce the point when booking and again when taking the car in.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club