Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 focus 1.5tdci failing to start HELP

gibbo1471

Hi all 

My wife had our car yesterday and all was normal did an 80 mile round journey then went into our local shop came back out and the car was turning over but not starting then said engine malfunction.

Called AA out and they said seems like the fuel pump.

Like I said it is turning over but just does not fire plugged obd in no codes stored.

Also it's not remote starting ie button 

Any common issues to be aware of 

Whatever they used it was fine all day that's the issue 

Nothing was showing using torque on my Android phone 

4 minutes ago, gibbo1471 said:

Whatever they used it was fine all day that's the issue 

The issue is using generic scanners doesn't show Ford specific codes.

Nothing was showing using torque on my Android phone if I get forscan will the pump show up also can you get the license still I remember they stopped it 

Nothing was showing using torque on my Android phone if I get forscan will the pump show up also can you get the license still I remember they stopped it 

31 minutes ago, gibbo1471 said:

You don't need a License unless you want to do Configuration and Programming.

There should be a PID for Fuel Rail Pressure at the Common Rail but probably not much for the Fuel Pump  itself.

The Wireless Adaptor that you are using for Torque may not work with FORScan or may not work well with it. You can try it with the free Laptop version to see before committing to the Phone version.

• Like 3

If these have a tank pump, you may be able to manually run that using Forscan.  The 1.6 TDCIs didn't but I think the 1.5s do?

I've done it on my Golf to prime after a fuel filter change using VCDS.

• Like 3

Also anything I could try this end see if fuel us pumping etc 

You need to use FORScan on a laptop with a good ELM327(modified) connection cable.

Download FORScan (It's free for use on a laptop): https://forscan.org/download.html

TunnelRat Electronics ELM327(modified): https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_with_switch_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

There will be almost for sure a DTC stored relating to the problem.

• Like 1

I have ordered a forscan will be delivered today I will post the codes if any later on if that's ok for more help 

Is there anything else I can try when using forscan to possibly diagnose this 

17 hours ago, gibbo1471 said:

Where about would that be on the settings 

Called something like 'service Procedures' on Forscan.

First check is a global scan to find all codes.  Mainly interested in PCM codes but others can also be helpful.

If no codes, second check is the service procedures, to see if there's something like 'fuel pump prime' or similar.

If fuel pump does prime, or there is no tank pump on these, third check is to use live data to see how much fuel pressure there is in the fuel rail when cranking.

Also, I think we covered this when you first bought the car, but there was a recall for a dodgy cam sprocket on the 1.5 TDCI.  Did you ever check whether yours was part of the recall?

1 minute ago, gibbo1471 said:

Do you need the extended license for that service procedure 

I don't think so, but it's been a few years since I used Forscan myself now.

Which one I am looking at for the fuel pressure when crancking 

IMG20220905181755.jpg

Which one I am looking at for the fuel pressure when crancking here are photos IMG20220905182228.thumb.jpg.9ddc6d10d7d3c3f13d0649af25b5dcc1.jpg

IMG20220905182912.jpg

IMG20220905181755.jpg

FRPS should be a good one.  If not then try FRP-A.

Could also have the desired FRP open to compare.

However, the 'error' next to PCM on your code list doesn't look good. BCM faults also point to a potential wiring fault.

Doesn't look like a simple diagnosis unfortunately.

This is what the voltage is don't change during turning over Screenshot_2022-09-05-19-29-36-65_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.thumb.jpg.2c074dc2de4b00d9d7b543785f5f717f.jpg

This is what the voltage is don't change during turning over Screenshot_2022-09-05-19-29-36-65_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.thumb.jpg.2c074dc2de4b00d9d7b543785f5f717f.jpg

Also rescanned no faults present now but still no start 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club