Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electrics have gone following crash

ell.arm

Hi,

I’ve caused myself quite the headache by crashing my car just less than 2 weeks ago. 
It was a low speed crash, approaching a roundabout with the intention of taking first exit. I thought the person in front had gone, I’m looking onto the roundabout to make sure it’s clear (it absolutely was clear, regardless it’s still my fault for rear ending her).

Immediately after the crash had happened we both pulled over to exchange details etc, I drove home, no obvious issue other than the cosmetic damage to the bumper and bonnet.

Several hours later I tried to start the car, key fob wasn’t working. I could only unlock the drivers door and had to use the key itself to do so. Dashboard and Speedometer were flickering, this soon stopped altogether and it went dark. 

So here I am, almost 2 weeks on, expecting to receive my settlement within the next 48 hours. (they wrote it off, initially they said it looked like a borderline write off)

My local mechanic has said if I can get it towed to him he will give me a list of parts required, and I can go source them myself to keep the cost down.

Can anyone offer me advice please?

I’m mostly concerned about any potential engine damage, wondering why I was able to drive away at first but after a bit the electrics went…. Any ideas??

thank you for reading,

Elliott.

I take it it's a cat N write off.  Is it worth buying back to repair?

I'd just cut losses and buy something else with the payout myself.

I’ve not had it confirmed by insurance yet, but I assume it will be a cat N.

I would agree with you if it wasn’t for the fact it’s a finance car, I still have around £3k left and feel the most straight forward thing is to get it repaired. I’d be absolutely buggered without a car permanently, don’t have any savings and my credit score has taken a bit of a hit in the last 12 months so trying to avoid the replacement route.

• Sad 2

It's difficult to give advice on what the cause of the electrical problems are without knowing the extent and location of the damage. Maybe you could post one or two photos (cover the registration plate).

You can't have triggered the crash fuses or the impact sensor if you were initially able to drive the car home, so I suspect some damage to the wiring near the site of impact. If there is damage to the canbus wiring it can lead to all sorts of faults but can quite often be easily repaired.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ell.arm said:

I’ve not had it confirmed by insurance yet, but I assume it will be a cat N.

I would agree with you if it wasn’t for the fact it’s a finance car, I still have around £3k left and feel the most straight forward thing is to get it repaired. I’d be absolutely buggered without a car permanently, don’t have any savings and my credit score has taken a bit of a hit in the last 12 months so trying to avoid the replacement route.

Ah, that does complicate things. :sad: 

The electrical issue could be as simple as the battery terminals getting loosened, or the alternator wiring getting damaged.  I take it the battery light wasn't on when you drove home?

Disconnect the battery!

As mentioned, check all wiring around the impact/damaged areas and you will find either cut or chaffed wires.

Fix them and it will/should be OK

I bet it's a damaged earth

sorry for the delay, but thanks for the responses guys. Been getting messed around a bit by insurance, still waiting for confirmation of what category it is and their valuation.

I’m hoping something around £2.5k, does that sound right? It’s a 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec, 5 doors, 1.2L and about 79,000 miles. Recently had the timing belt replaced.

I’ll try to post some pics of the damage, I wasn’t able to in the original post for some reason

External damage:

Definitely going to need to replace the bonnet and front bumper at least 

3C9C5A0B-5F18-4CCF-8FBD-3D42A07BA649.jpeg

E1D71E01-7F27-4146-9840-7ACE5BF516CE.jpeg

That damage is quite minor and easily repaired. I've seen bodyshop's fix far worse for under £600.

So back to the electrical problem. Disconnect the battery terminals for 10 minutes and the reconnect, make sure they are clean and tight. I suspect some earth point may have been dislodged or even the battery terminals have been disturbed. due to the impact.

I'll be amazed if that can be professionally fixed & painted for £600.  I know you're both up North though. :laugh:

3 hours ago, unofix said:

That damage is quite minor and easily repaired. I've seen bodyshop's fix far worse for under £600.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I'll be amazed if that can be professionally fixed & painted for £600.  I know you're both up North though. :laugh:

Yeah, that'll just polish out!😀

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club