Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power train faliure displayed

John simmo

I have a 2018 focus and I keep having a power train faliure fault displayed which puts the car into low power mode. It’s had a full service and new plugs this summer and have just put premium fuel in but to no avail.

does anyone have any ideas please

I think that the power train is still under warranty. So maybe a trip to your local dealer?

2 hours ago, alanfp said:

I think that the power train is still under warranty.

Sadly I think this has been looked in to before (last year I think) and the extended powertrain warranty is only for the North American market. There is no harm in trying, John might get lucky or at the very least they may tell him whats wrong.

Using FORScan and the vLinker cable should show the DTC which must be stored.

Is the car manual or automatic ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, unofix said:

the extended powertrain warranty is only for the North American market.

Apologies, all. I had missed that important bit!

• Like 1

Thanks for the help so far, the car is a manual

The fault came up back in the summer, as the car was due a service I had it done and it has only started again in the last few weeks.

my local garage has said the fault displays as combustion fault. They have also mentioned the knock sensor? 

HI John, we really need the Ford DTC information which you can get yourself using FORScan. It is possible that you have a faulty knock sensor, or that you do in fact have a slight misfire under certain conditions. Either way the DTC's stored will give information that will help point you in the direction of the fault.

On 11/4/2022 at 10:30 AM, unofix said:

HI John, we really need the Ford DTC information which you can get yourself using FORScan. It is possible that you have a faulty knock sensor, or that you do in fact have a slight misfire under certain conditions. Either way the DTC's stored will give information that will help point you in the direction of the fault.

Hi All,

Im having the  same problem, used a scan tool got code P130D which is the knock sensor, car is 2019 Mk4 focus Ecoboost just out of warranty.

Does anybody know if these sensors do go bad, the car has only done 19,000 miles, also is it best to get a ford replacement or one from the motor factors which will be a lot cheaper.

Cheers

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I’m experiencing the same fault intermittently too. Only twice, once in September on wet windy drive and last night also. Both times had been driving for about 4 and a half hours before it came on. Both times reset with engine restart. Mine is 69plate manual 1.5 ecoboost (150), done about 53k from new. DTC showing P130D knock sensor. Discussed with my local garage who do all my servicing, who can’t find any issues so think it may be a faulty sensor. Not  too serious at the moment but may get the sensor replaced in the new year which is not a big job. 

Has anyone else had any luck diagnosing this further? Hoping it’s just a poor sensor and nothing more serious. I’m out of warranty now typically!

• 2 months later...

I'm getting the same issue with my car aswel 2019 1.0

Any way of telling if its a faulty sensor or if my engine is knocking?

Also I'm getting a abs code, is that related? It won't clear either.

20230206_165310.jpg

1 hour ago, Rickychips said:

I'm getting the same issue with my car aswel 2019 1.0

Any way of telling if its a faulty sensor or if my engine is knocking?

Also I'm getting a abs code, is that related? It won't clear either.

20230206_165310.jpg

There was a PTM update/ recall on the mk4 Focus last year but I think that was for the Ecoblue (Diesel).

3 hours ago, Wino said:

There was a PTM update/ recall on the mk4 Focus last year but I think that was for the Ecoblue (Diesel).

Was that only for the 1.5 Ecoblue or did that include the 2.0 ?

7 hours ago, unofix said:

Was that only for the 1.5 Ecoblue or did that include the 2.0 ?

1.5 Ecoblue only. Theres a thread on it somewhere on here and I'm certain its mentioned on there. There was also another update done at the same time which the Lady at the service desk couldn't/ wouldnt tell me what it was for. It was after these updates that the oil Life reset was removed. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately, I have been getting the same error again and again since last summer. Replacing the spark plugs and knock sensor has not helped. I have the feeling that the possibility of the error occurring is higher with a full tank than with a half full one. 
Have any of you got any further with this error? 

Ford Focus Turnier mk4 2018 automatic 1l

• 1 month later...

I've found after many hours of elimination procedures that the rubber diaphragm attached to the turbo splits and will only cause issues under load. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club