Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Tdci Fuel Economy

SteveTDCI

I have a 2010 Titanium 1.6 TDCI 109 DPF.

Trouble is the fuel economy Im getting on the trip doesnt seem quite right, at best I can get 46-47mpg(driving like a snail) and everyday driving keeping up with normal traffic its like 38mpg.

I do admit most of this driving is around town 30-50 mph but surely it should be atleast 50mpg? I have checked all the tyre pressures and they are ok, its currently done 1700miles and has loosened up quite alot but the economy if anything has got slightly worse since new.

I hear the ford trips over read by about 5mpg if thats the case then something is definatley wrong, does anyone else experience similar problems with the 1.6 TDCI and can anyone give me their current MPG so I can compare?

Cheers

Trouble is the fuel economy Im getting on the trip doesnt seem quite right, at best I can get 46-47mpg(driving like a snail) and everyday driving keeping up with normal traffic its like 38mpg.

I do admit most of this driving is around town 30-50 mph but surely it should be atleast 50mpg? I have checked all the tyre pressures and they are ok, its currently done 1700miles and has loosened up quite alot but the economy if anything has got slightly worse since new.

I hear the ford trips over read by about 5mpg if thats the case then something is definatley wrong, does anyone else experience similar problems with the 1.6 TDCI and can anyone give me their current MPG so I can compare?

Cheers

Hi Steve, first off though I have a petrol 1.6, I can tell you that I find the trip computer to be fairly accurate. I do brim checks and it is never out by more than 1 mpg on the trip. OK the speedo reads about 74 mph when my sat nav records it at 70, so yes that is out.But that's another story, they can read over but not under where speed is concerned, for obvious reasons.

I like you get nothing like official figures, but when you consider how they arrive at those figures you will understand why.SEE HERE I did a post on it.

I had a Volvo S40 2.0D SE for nine months, same engine as in the Focus 2.0 TDCi. I covered 5100 miles in that time,circa 1500 of which were motorway miles. I liked to cruise @ 70/75 mpg when on them. Another 1000 A/B road touring on holidays. With the rest being mixed between town and normal diving, to say nearby towns being on average 10 miles away. And I averaged 40.42mpg when official figures are 37.2 58.9 48.7

But assuming it had completed a full 12 month mileage cycle, with no more holidays included. I reckon it would have worked out at an average at 38.22mpg.

My current 1.6 petrol is returning 32 mpg on average, I did achieve 35.05 on a touring holiday to Cornwall which included circa 800 motorway or dual carriageway roads, out of a total trip 1100 miles. Best I ever achieved [monitored] was 42.7 mpg at an average speed of 34 mph on a 31 mile round trip on mostly A roads, and through 2 small town centres. Official figures being 32.5 51.4 42.2 That latter monitored comparison was as near as you could get in driving profile, to the official Combined Fuel Consumption cycle. So in that sense, achieving 0.5 mpg more than the official Combined Cycle, proves those official figures can be achieved. It was snowing at the time but the roads were clear and gritted, and I was taking a 80+ year old relative home at the time.In other words I was driving like a Saint chauffeuring the Pope around on official business. :D

Obviously neither comparisons are the 1.6 TDCi. But are relevant in that they prove very few drivers will continue on a regular basis to fit the driving profile needed to match the official consumption figures.

At the end of the day it's type of miles covered, time of day miles are covered, and the driving style of the person sat behind the wheel.

I had a Volvo S40 2.0D SE for nine months, same engine as in the Focus 2.0 TDCi. I covered 5100 miles in that time,circa 1500 of which were motorway miles. I liked to cruise @ 70/75 mpg when on them. Another 1000 A/B road touring on holidays. With the rest being mixed between town and normal diving, to say nearby towns being on average 10 miles away. And I averaged 40.42mpg when official figures are 37.2 58.9 48.7

But assuming it had completed a full 12 month mileage cycle, with no more holidays included. I reckon it would have worked out at an average at 38.22mpg.

My current 1.6 petrol is returning 32 mpg on average, I did achieve 35.05 on a touring holiday to Cornwall which included circa 800 motorway or dual carriageway roads, out of a total trip 1100 miles. Best I ever achieved [monitored] was 42.7 mpg at an average speed of 34 mph on a 31 mile round trip on mostly A roads, and through 2 small town centres. Official figures being 32.5 51.4 42.2 That latter monitored comparison was as near as you could get in driving profile, to the official Combined Fuel Consumption cycle.

So in that sense, achieving 0.5 mpg more than the official Combined Cycle, proves those official figures can be achieved.

Obviously neither comparisons are the 1.6 TDCi. But are relevant in that they prove very few drivers will continue on a regular basis to fit the driving profile needed to match the official consumption figures.

assaid many times before you have been caught out by the diesel myth that it will do 50mpg at worst well sorry to say they dont youre mpg is about right diesels are mile munchers and not town cars so figures in town are poor fact most petrols now will easily beat a diesel in town they are mile munchers for cruising along motorways basically in town youre using most of the revs just to get moving then to stop at lights etc etc

At the end of the day it's type of miles covered, time of day miles are covered, and the driving style of the person sat behind the wheel.

I said that :D

But your right artscot, how many times do we see these posts. But it's understandable that posts like these are posted, because most peeps myself included [once upon a time] expected to achieve somewhere near those official figures. But once you actually look into how they are arrive at, all is revealed.

Maybe a more informative way of presenting a range of Driving Profile consumption figures would be better. But it would be messy to present in adverts. And to be honest today we live in a society in a rush, where most people want one line answers to every query. Fact is there is so much data retrievable with the advent of computers, but confronted with so much data most people cannot be arsed reading it........nodoubt some of my posts being a prime example of that fact. :D

That said, it will be interesting to see some figures come in on this thread relevant to the OP's opening query. So come on you 1.6 TDCi owners, lets have some figures.

I said that :D

But your right artscot, how many times do we see these posts. But it's understandable that posts like these are posted, because most peeps myself included [once upon a time] expected to achieve somewhere near those official figures. But once you actually look into how they are arrive at, all is revealed.

Maybe a more informative way of presenting a range of Driving Profile consumption figures would be better. But it would be messy to present in adverts. And to be honest today we live in a society in a rush, where most people want one line answers to every query. Fact is there is so much data retrievable with the advent of computers, but confronted with so much data most people cannot be arsed reading it........nodoubt some of my posts being a prime example of that fact. :D

That said, it will be interesting to see some figures come in on this thread relevant to the OP's opening query. So come on you 1.6 TDCi owners, lets have some figures.

you did indeed say that mate and were spot on many factors influence the outcome and again youre right how many posts do we see, fact is like everyone i once to thought if i had a diesel ide see big miles till i understood how they work it out i think the problem is down to understanding there are millions who believe this myth about diesels but dont do there homework, the amount of small petrol engines that can do 50-70mpg around town now is huge making a diesel look archane.

i think people need to understand if youre 80 percent of the time driving in town a diesel is not the right choice of car if its 50/50 town/motorway sure a diesel is a great bet to save some cash youll get good mpg.

people need to remember the prius was qouted as 70mpg plus top gear tested it and barely got 46mpg out of it and a vw polo diesel gave better mpg in town than the prius yet the myth is the prius is better as it will go further on fuel misinformation from companies simply to take advantage and sell cars nothing less nothing more.

sadly so many peolpe now realise a diesel isnt saving them cash its eating diesel around town diesel is higher price than petrol sure you make savings on tax but do you? with so many petrols now free or 35 quid a year you dont save anything in reality it will be interesting to see the figures however we must remember some will be better than others if 1 guy is driving to work going up hills the other drives on a flattish road the one going up the hills will have poorer mpg even air temp can effect mpg so its going to vary quite a bit i think.

I have a 1.6 TDCi and my ACTUAL mpg (very conservative driving, 70% dual carriage ways) is 45MPG.

The trip computer normally reads +3MPG.

Do you find hesitation at times when accelerating, or perhaps it doesnt seem to accelerate quite as good as you think it should? If so, I would strongly advise to check your intercooler hoses for a split. Mine was split badly, and after I had it changed, the computer usually reads about 54MPG, so its probably doing about 50MPG in reality.

They changed the design of the main intercooler hose from a concertina rubber top with hose clip connector to a solid hose. The vibration of the engine was causing the hose clip to eventually cut through the rubber. Get them checked out asap if i were you.

I have a 59 1.6 TDCi (110 with DPF). I was until recently driving 75 miles to work, mainly motorway, and in one direction during light traffic. Motorway speed around 65 most of the time. Other direction (and weekend driving) was a bit of a lottery traffic and journey length/type. I was averaging 59 mpg (from Nov 09/July 10 using 41 tanks of fuel) starting with 37 miles on the clock, now 21K. This is based on total mileage and actual fuel put in the tank. Not sure it makes any difference, but I've used standard Shell diesel all this time.

I have also compared actual (fill up to fill up) vs computer MPG figures over this time. I find the computer around 2% - 3% optimistic in general. My driving style to relieve the boredom has been to try and get the highest computer mpg (resetting each fill up) consistent with maintaining good progress (so choosing not to cruise at 70+ mph for example, lifting off the throttle whenever possible, etc). In general I feel this is about driving smoothly/gently rather than try to keep my speed down. So drive without excessive acceleration and as if the brakes aren't working will get you into the style of driving I use. But I stress I don't take this to the point where I feel I'm holding other road users back or annoying them...

I have a 59 1.6 TDCi (110 with DPF). I was until recently driving 75 miles to work, mainly motorway, and in one direction during light traffic. Motorway speed around 65 most of the time. Other direction (and weekend driving) was a bit of a lottery traffic and journey length/type. I was averaging 59 mpg (from Nov 09/July 10 using 41 tanks of fuel) starting with 37 miles on the clock, now 21K. This is based on total mileage and actual fuel put in the tank. Not sure it makes any difference, but I've used standard Shell diesel all this time.

Right car for the job in your case, 21k in eight months mostly motorway

My driving style to relieve the boredom has been to try and get the highest computer mpg (resetting each fill up) consistent with maintaining good progress
I used to love seeing how much I could get out of it with the instantaneous mpg readout I had on my S40
[so choosing not to cruise at 70+ mph for example, lifting off the throttle whenever possible, etc]. In general I feel this is about driving smoothly/gently rather than try to keep my speed down. So drive without excessive acceleration and as if the brakes aren't working will get you into the style of driving I use. But I stress I don't take this to the point where I feel I'm holding other road users back or annoying them...

All excellent tips, I chuckle when I see inexperienced young bucks powering into a roundabout junction, only to have to get shut of all that power, on their brake pads. Then you see them on forums...yer I need some new disks and pads on the front, I've done 20K......Myself I don't hang about, I like to exit corners faster than I enter them. But I see having to brake other than for stopping at a stop sign, as me not reading the road properly.

And I must be honest coming from the 2.0 turbo diesel down to a 1.6 petrol, I'm acting more my age now. It's not doing my street creed any good, when the wifes stopped using those imaginary brake pedals in the front passenger foot well. There again, maybe it's just a case of them not being standard kit in a 1.6 :D

Hi focus owners.I have got the fiesta 1.6 tdci and I am getting 46 mpg.I used to have the 1.4 petrol and that did 35.5 mpg.I have only had the car for two weeks and its only got 1400 miles on it so I am wondering if it will climb a bit when the engine loosens up a bit. :D

Think I read somewhere that it takes about 10K for an engine to fully run in/loosen up, and all other things equal the consumption should get better. But other influences may override that - like driving style changes, changes to the weather, the kind of routes and journeys you're taking, etc...

Well thanks for the replies guys.

Diesels are just a preference of mine, had a 2010 1.6 petrol whilst mine was getting parking sensors fitted(no i dont need them!) and I thought it was really horrible compared to mine.

My previous car was a 1.3cdti astra which should in theory be less economical than the focus but £20 seemed to get me alot further even when diesel was more expensive and I wasnt gentle with that thing.

When Im trying to get good MPG figures I drive like an absolute grannie, very light on the throttle, freewheeling in gear, slowing down early at lights to prevent the need to stop and re-accelerate.

Im not disappointed in the car because in every other department it is fantastic but you just expect the figures to be alittle better around town.

Having said that I once conducted a test driving the full length of the M57 and got 78mpg so I suppose your right in that 60mph+ is were a diesel wants to be.

Cheers all

and the rest of you 1.6tdci owners post ye figures!

When I worked in Ellesmere Port my weekly commute was just over 600 miles. As I was able to claim a mileage allowance the amount I was able to claim back was just enough to fill the tank. I adjusted my driving style so the commute didn't cost me anything but I still drove at the legal limits. 75% of my journey was on 'A' roads, mainly the A41, the rest was dual carrigeway/motorway and there were some 20 odd roundabouts to negotiate each way as well. According to the trip computer I was getting mid to high 50's but depending on traffic low 60's was possible.

My new commute is to Gloucester and, depending on which way I go, nearly 100% of my journey will be on the motorway albeit 20 odd miles further than if I use the A442. I'll post my mpg results after a week of each commute as I will need to know myself as I can't claim the allowance anymore.

Cheers

I have a56 plate 1.6 tdci estate and around town (I work 3 shifts) I get no less than 50 to the gallon normally 52, on a long run of 100 miles or more at speed limits with a car full of kids and camping stuff I do 60ish but once coming back from Wales on winding roads I had her reading 72 mpg I have filled up and worked out the mpg and apart from the Wales one can confirm the other 2 readings.

Before this we had a petrol 1.2 punto and at best this would do 48mpg on a run.

So I would say that diesel for me is better with a bigger car and more mpg.

• 1 month later...

hi, been reading this thred with interest. I have a 50,000k focus estate 1.6tdci, ffsh, not been abused and no matter how I drive it (and

Cheers

hi, been reading this thred with interest. I have a 50,000k focus estate 1.6tdci, ffsh, not been abused and no matter how I drive it (and

And ? ........................the wife suddenly shouted down that you were needed urgently in the bedroom..... :ph34r:

Ooops, wrong button.

I have driven my 50k, 2006 1.6 tdci estate very economically over a period of about 8 months and no matter how careful with the throttle I am, I can only achieve 39-43 mpg, including a couple of motorway trips where I did occasionaly hit 80-85mph. I have spent days hardly touching the throttle, and am a little dissappointed with this aspect of the car, everything else has impressed me for a 1.6 diesel and apart from having to get the passenger to apply the handbrake and the satnav/radio that picks the channels for your whether you like it or not, i really like the car and actually enjoy driving it (i should get out more !). One strange thing though, each time I do an oil change, every 5/6 months, there is more fluid than I put in ! I suspected this after the first service, so for the past two oil changes I have made sure of the reading and amount of oil going in. Is there anyway that diesel (or anything else) can be getting into my oil, maybe coming past the pistons, sounds crazy,but over a period of 6 months or so, the reading on the stick is past the end of the plastic and I made a point of not filling it to the max last time. Any ideas anyone ? (havent been to a garage as car drives perfect, doesnt smoke, seems to have enough power etc)

Adam

It could be something to do with the DPF regeneration process. There is a thread 39 pages long on the Volvo forum [remember Volvo was a Ford owned company prior to being bought out by the Chinese recently, and as a result shared technology and engines]

Quote the opening post:-

I've just received a recall letter, describing that with DPFs, under some driving conditions 'engine oil levels may rise'. The recall is to check the oil level + a software update. According to my letter, it affects S60/V70/XC70 & XC90, 2006 to 2009.

When they say 'oil level may rise', I assume they actually mean 'fuel may enter the sump', which I think I've read about elsewhere with DPFs.

Anybody know what it's all about? Is it some bodge to try and paper over the cracks in DPF technology, or is it a worthwhile improvement?

Heres a link to the thread

Cheers

Found this thread on MPG very interesting, and i also posted a new thread concerning MPG on my Ford yesterday.

Ive just bought a 2005 2.0TDCI (136BHP) Focus Titanium saloon. I am currently averaging between 46 and 47.2 MPG. I do a 10.7 mile journey twice a day most of that is on an A road (where i probably average 50mph and about 2.5 miles is through a town (where i probably average about 25mph). Am currently happy with this MPG as my last car did about half that! Ive yet to try it out on a long motorway trip but id hope that figure rises to above 55MPG.

As ive only just bought the car im currently trying to train the engine to my style of driving as im not 100% sure how it was driven before i got it. It was used as a family car and everything seems in very good condition so i dont think its been 'raggged'.

Can i ask what type of things have you tried to get better MPG out of it? have you tried obvious things like resetting the fuel counter before a trip? decoking it? adding Millers Diesel Power Ecomax One Shot Boost (http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers_frame_AUTO_RETAIL.htm) etc? You're MPG does seem a little low. And Artscot79 is right about diesels, they much prefer a longer run out on duel carridge ways and motorway rather than around town..but you should still be able to get over 45MPG i would of thought. Although im new to the world of diesels so what do i know!

I had a Volvo S40 2.0D SE for 9 months, it shares the same TDCi engine as the Focus. During that time it went on two touring holidays one to Dorset and one to Devon travelling in both instances from North Yorkshire. I averaged 44.05mpg over both trips, averaging 75mph on the motorways.During Urban driving, mostly short in town journeys it achieved 38.50mpg, bear in mind the Volvo S40 is 8.19% heavier than the Focus.

I sold it because for 50 weeks of the year it was used for mostly short in town journeys. Long story why we bought the Volvo, a wife thing so say no more, nice car mind with plenty poke like the 2.00TDCi Focus.

If I was concerned about anything it would be the possible effects of having a DPF model [you may not have one] As I intimated in my earlier post on this thread, when the poster raised concerns about oil levels. There are reports of models with DPF's fitted diluting the engine oil, now that would concern me.

In fact I think it merits a thread on it's own, so I have raised one.

Ooops, wrong button.

I have driven my 50k, 2006 1.6 tdci estate very economically over a period of about 8 months and no matter how careful with the throttle I am, I can only achieve 39-43 mpg, including a couple of motorway trips where I did occasionaly hit 80-85mph. I have spent days hardly touching the throttle, and am a little dissappointed with this aspect of the car, everything else has impressed me for a 1.6 diesel and apart from having to get the passenger to apply the handbrake and the satnav/radio that picks the channels for your whether you like it or not, i really like the car and actually enjoy driving it (i should get out more !). One strange thing though, each time I do an oil change, every 5/6 months, there is more fluid than I put in ! I suspected this after the first service, so for the past two oil changes I have made sure of the reading and amount of oil going in. Is there anyway that diesel (or anything else) can be getting into my oil, maybe coming past the pistons, sounds crazy,but over a period of 6 months or so, the reading on the stick is past the end of the plastic and I made a point of not filling it to the max last time. Any ideas anyone ? (havent been to a garage as car drives perfect, doesnt smoke, seems to have enough power etc)

Adam

I have had similar problems with my Sat Nav picking whatever radio station it wants, but it only seems to happen in certain places (I have the advanced navigation system in the facelifted model - not touch screen). As far as fuel economy is concerned, I do about 15k a year and over the last year averaged 59.5mpg, which is actually slightly more than the computer says. Always found the trip to be pretty accurate. My driving is very varied, I regularly drive into London so do stints on the motorway and then crawling through London traffic, so I'm very pleased with the economy. Long runs to Wales plus all the hills results in 65mpg, and if I really try (56mph), 74mpg on the motorway is just possible. Funny you should mention the oil consumption (or lack of it), for the first time, mine seems to have used a tiny bit of oil (its on 31600 miles) but the oil level is always right at the top of the plastic bit on the end of the dipstick. Could the increase in oil level be due to engine temperature and oil settling back down?

Found this thread on MPG very interesting, and i also posted a new thread concerning MPG on my Ford yesterday.

Ive just bought a 2005 2.0TDCI (136BHP) Focus Titanium saloon. I am currently averaging between 46 and 47.2 MPG. I do a 10.7 mile journey twice a day most of that is on an A road (where i probably average 50mph and about 2.5 miles is through a town (where i probably average about 25mph). Am currently happy with this MPG as my last car did about half that! Ive yet to try it out on a long motorway trip but id hope that figure rises to above 55MPG.

As ive only just bought the car im currently trying to train the engine to my style of driving as im not 100% sure how it was driven before i got it. It was used as a family car and everything seems in very good condition so i dont think its been 'raggged'.

Can i ask what type of things have you tried to get better MPG out of it? have you tried obvious things like resetting the fuel counter before a trip? decoking it? adding Millers Diesel Power Ecomax One Shot Boost (http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers_frame_AUTO_RETAIL.htm) etc? You're MPG does seem a little low. And Artscot79 is right about diesels, they much prefer a longer run out on duel carridge ways and motorway rather than around town..but you should still be able to get over 45MPG i would of thought. Although im new to the world of diesels so what do i know!

Hi mate, I can report on this subject a little more now, I recently completed a 400 mile round trip to Hampshire from Merseyside. Heading down there I used the aircon all the way down the M6 at 65 to 75mph then all the way back I gave it the beans and spent 90% of the time over 80mph in the outside lane with the aircon occasionally being on. I averaged 55.8mpg which I'm completely pleased with.

Now I havent used any additives yet with the car being so new but I do try various driving techniques to aid MPG. The best thing you can do without a doubt is to allow the car to roll to junctions,roundabouts and traffic lights in gear. Even going down a hill just stick it in an appropriate gear and take your foot off the accelerator. This to me has made the biggest impact. Also try and be very sensitive on the gas, pressing the pedal half way down as apposed to lightly touching it to maintain speed makes another big difference. Apart from that its all the usual stuff like tyre pressures and windows closed at high speed etc.

What baffles me more than anything is that I used to have a 96 fiesta 1.8d with like 60bhp, it was slow and noisy but no matter how much you abused it you wouldn't get it lower than 50mpg, why are all these modern common rail diesel engines developed by multi world renowned manufactures such as BMW and PSA failing to get anything near their quoted figures? I just read an article on this particular engine in the Volvo V70 Driv-E and the author claims he got 65mpg driving 800mls from somewere in Italy to somewere in the UK(cant remember exactly were).

I have the same car and find running it around 1800-2000rpm around town gives the best MPG dont run the motor out of the turbo boost zone. I do mostly A-B Road with MWays once a week and get 50mpg on average (calculated).

I have a Focus 2.0 TDCi Powershift 2010. I haven't had it long but around town I'm getting approx 44mpg av (as per computer) and on motorway journies 49-50mpg (again as per computer). I travel at 75-80 on motorway. I haven't done accurate brim tests yet. I've had diesels for a long time so I am under no illusion about real world figures.

Of course if you stick at 60-65mph on the motorway and feather it up/down you "may" get the official figures, but don't be fooled by the marketing.