Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Tdci Fuel Economy

SteveTDCI

My Mk3 is having first service as we speak. Mentioned about poor fuel economy. Garage just phoned to say car ready in 1hr and they have loaded a new calibration for the fuelling.

Anyone heard of this before or had it done and can positive results be expected or is it just Ford playing mind games ??

They did this to my 1.6TDCI Fiesta a few weeks ago. Only one complete fill up since then but saw a nearly 10% improvement in economy (up from 54-58mpg).

Looking good so far, just done a local run. Fuel computer indicating 22.0mpg lol

Done a 120 mile run today, fuel computer indicated 51 mpg so a distinct improvement BUT........ car now runs like a dog from cold.

Outside temperature this weekend been -4° / -5° C. When you first start the car it stalls straight away and then tries to stall whilst driving it for first 10 mins or so. Perhaps car now running a bit lean ?

Ford having it back in on Friday but say the only option is to put the original calibration back in. :wacko:

Done a 120 mile run today, fuel computer indicated 51 mpg so a distinct improvement BUT........ car now runs like a dog from cold.

Outside temperature this weekend been -4° / -5° C. When you first start the car it stalls straight away and then tries to stall whilst driving it for first 10 mins or so. Perhaps car now running a bit lean ?

Ford having it back in on Friday but say the only option is to put the original calibration back in. :wacko:

I've not had a problem since the cold snap started. I was out early Saturday morning and it was, like you say, -5C and it was fine. Even while idling waiting for the Quick Clear to do it's stuff it was smooth. It's a bit noisier when really cold but runs fine...

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went ahead and fitted the box today, was an absolute pain. Trust me people are not exaggerating just how frustrating it is fitting a tuning box to one of these engines. In the end though it was completely worth it.

Mid range was always good at standard setup but now from 40 to 70 its astonishingly quick, even after spending 2 hours blasting round the local country lanes I still averaged 44mpg something that would have been considerably lower before. As a test I did my local commute route and averaged 57.8mpg which is the highest I have every achieved on that route in this car(all busy town roads).

In this respect its obvious that If you drive correctly when using a box they do what they say on the tin.

Word of warning though, the many guides out their that suggest you to look for the RED common rail plug are now incorrect for the 2010 onwards 1.6 TDCI engine. The plugs are now BLACK which I can only presume is Ford/PSA's way of hiding it.

How are you getting on with the tuning box mate? is everything working alright and are you still getting the better fuel economy?

Ive also got the 1.6tdci dpf and to be honest my mpg is shocking

• 10 months later...

Interesting reading here. I just bought a new Focus 1.6 TDCI estate. I'm getting 55 mpg on my regular journey to work. My old car was a 2005 Octavia 2.0 TDi. That gave me 58 mpg! Something's not right.

I've got a 09 1.6TDCI with 57k on the clock and its currently reading 52.1 mpg....with the cold weather I'm keeping the revs low, so using more fuel when I accelerate.... in fine weather it seems to prefer to cruise at about 1800 rpm, and summer time mpg is normally 53 - 54 mpg.

I think we should all except that the mog figures qouted by manufacturers are a load of bull there are complaints to all manufacturers by customers that none of the cars get even close to qouted figures even 5th gears test showed some dont even get half that amount also bear im mind weather plays a part as does denser air cold air temperatures etc etc etc

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club