Do Not Sell My Personal Information

usb port

srjung2032
聽Share

im trying to put extra usb ports in my ford fusion passenger door and wiring them to the electric windows control and can't find any diagram or video to show how to do this

16773303287607385345865528580663.jpg

i fitted a double usb port by removing the cigarette lighter, no splicing or chopping in, 10 minute job

• Like 2

5 hours ago, srjung2032 said:

im trying to put extra usb ports in my ford fusion passenger door and wiring them to the electric windows control

That is almost sure to not end well. 馃

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Why would you want usb outlet ports on the passenger door ? if you don't mind me asking...

However on the passenger door switch, pin 4 black is ground (earth) and pin 2 is +12v, but this is also black and interjoined to green/blue (+12v)

The green / blue +12v is fed from relay 41 and is only active when ignition is on.

Be careful tampering with this wiring and double check with a dc voltmeter, if you do go ahead ensure you insulate all connections intervened as the fuse for the +12v is 30A F36 - if you get it wrong then it has a potential for fire imo.

Do not touch the yellow/violet or the white /violet as they are the motor supply.

• Like 1

Usb is 5 volts. 聽Wiring 12 volts to it doesn鈥檛 sound good unless the usb socket has voltage reducer built into it.聽

13 hours ago, isetta said:

Usb is 5 volts. 聽Wiring 12 volts to it doesn鈥檛 sound good unless the usb socket has voltage reducer built into it.聽

Yes they do, but i would be sceptical about 3.6A 5V output.

Some early usb devices at 1A /2A had a simple regulator and they got hot, really hot, not only caused by the 1 or 2 amp demand but by the excess volt drop to the regulator input.

More modern units like the one pictured probably use a safer modern efficient buck convertor.

I think most people remove the cigar lighters now and replace with one of these using the existing wiring.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fullwavebridge said:

I think most people remove the cigar lighters now and replace with one of these using the existing wiring...

Not sure that's entirely correct LOL I have an elderly car with little creature comforts. I rely on my 12v socket to power my SatNav, dashcam, TPMS, and DAB converter. It also supplies electricity to a USB converter!

My additional 12v socket wired into ignition (not permanently live!)

641606193_new12vsocket.thumb.jpg.384598dc0ab94496f5c1ab7a1cb15ece.jpg

• Like 1

Our 2010 Fusion has a 12V socket in the gearstick surround, and a second in the centre console behind the handbrake.

If you only have the front socket, you could do what I did to my 2007 Fiesta, and get a Fusion centre trim from a scrappy, and wire in that second socket.

Or push the boat out and buy one of these :

https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/RMS10

• Thanks 1

I fear we are all just talking amongst ourselves. The OP has not been back since they took a sneaky peak at the replies back on 28th Feb.聽馃檨

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, unofix said:

I fear we are all just talking amongst ourselves. The OP has not been back since they took a sneaky peak at the replies back on 28th Feb.聽馃檨

I'm embarrassed that a 'stephen' could be so rude! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, unofix said:

Dont the regulars do that anyway

• Like 2

Plenty of one post hopers about, facebook is worse - i posted a reply to some guy about a fault he had - told him exactly what the problem was and how to resolve it, i even gave him the loom wiring colours, i also gave him a photo of how to access the problem.

Never even replied or acknowledged the post.

The type that usually have the answer and take the car to the garage...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club