Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can I use BP Ultimate petrol in my 2018 mk 4 Vignale 1ltr?

SteveP1041

I’ve tried to use Miller Petrol treatment in the past, but it always caused a powertrain fault light, which the dealer had to clear.

I use BP unleaded but wonder if the occasional tankful if ultimate would be worthwhile, and okay to use?

That seams strange. I have used Millers fuel additives in all of our cars (petrol & diesel) for the last 20 plus years and never had any problems with any of them. I can't see why one would cause a transmission fault. 

As for super unleaded, I don't think it will make much difference (apart from lighter in wallet!) with the occasional tankful. It may take a few tankfulls of the stuff to see a difference (if any).

• Thanks 1

We only use premium in our Focus and Fiesta (1.5L & 1L respectively) and we find the mpg gain is worth the difference in price. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, SteveP1041 said:

I use BP unleaded but wonder if the occasional tankful if ultimate would be worthwhile, and okay to use?

My 18 year old Focus now gets fed a diet of BP Ultimate. A few weeks ago I achieved 38mpg (up from a standard historical 30mpg). It is more expensive but the old girl owes me nothing, and since the introduction of the watered down E10, well, she's worth it...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My ST's have always had the high grade stuff, It may be just me but they seem to cough occasionally if I have to use regular fuel if premium isn't readily available.

I was in Wales last week and had to drive 20 miles just to find a garage that did premium fuel.

There was a Morrisons garage 2 minutes away but I refuse to ever use their watered down swill

• Sad 1

My ST is running quite happily on Sainsburys 95.

The tuners get about 300 bhp out of it on 95.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I genuinely don't understand those that turn their nose up at supermarket fuel. They have a vested interest in providing a product that reaches a standard that will not harm their reputation. In addition, their turnover is high so you're always guaranteed very fresh fuel. Not to mention, usually being competitively priced, often with further discount if you do your shopping there...

• Like 4

On 5/17/2023 at 8:10 PM, SteveP1041 said:

use BP unleaded but wonder if the occasional tankful if ultimate would be worthwhile, and okay to use?

Well, it certainly won't do any harm, but as you can see from comments so far views on the benefits differ.

I've tried comparing "standard" and "premium" fuel many times over the years in various cars and bikes and never found any notable difference performance or economy wise.

The additives in premium may be of long term benefit in cleanliness of engine internals. I've usually compromised by sticking to the manufacturers recommended grade (usually normal 95) and adding the occasional tankfull of premium.

Fwiw my first tankfull in my present car was 95 ((E10) which gave 39.08 mpg. Subsequently I've done 2 fills with E5 (Tesco Momentum) which have given 39.63 and 40.48 (all measured brim to brim) all under pretty similar driving conditions. 

Sufficiently close to attribute any difference to (a) the car loosening up and (b) my becoming more accustomed to it. 

(Point of interest is the trip computer in this car seems unusually accurate in my experience - on!y about 1mpg over optimistic whereas I've found they can be up to 10% out in other cars.)

• Like 1

I don't knock supermarket fuel in general, just Morrisons fuel after their troubles a few years back when it was causing problems due to water in the mix.

I routinely use Tesco Momentum 99 with no problem, and only go to mainline garages if there are no Tesco garages available.

51 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

I don't knock supermarket fuel in general, just Morrisons fuel after their troubles a few years back when it was causing problems due to water in the mix.

I can understand a 'grudge'! I have never knowingly bought a Kleenex product when a few years back they dropped their 'Man Sized' tissues because some 9 year old girl told them it was sexist LOL

• Haha 5

On 5/17/2023 at 8:10 PM, SteveP1041 said:

I’ve tried to use Miller Petrol treatment in the past, but it always caused a powertrain fault light, which the dealer had to clear.

BP is only 97 - but the good news its E5 not the E10 killer rubbish - its also massively cheaper than 99 at esso or Shell

I had a bm bike that was meant to get posh fuel but could run slow on 95 - I kept chucking in super unleaded it made zero difference - then someone said it says 98 or higher - not 97 !!!  round about then, Shell and esso woke up and created 99 and the bike was completely different - much faster and much smoother, even the sound of tickover was transformed

for the few bike's that need decent stuff, they reccon its actually cheaper to use the posh stuff as everything is improved, meaning its just better than cost neutral - but "strangely" since ethanol trash turned up BM got in bed with the crooks and they no longer bother to make the bikes self optimise to run properly - use e10 they sell 10% more of a budget junk product - that will damage your vehicle faster - that's the game - and producing ethanol is actually more damaging to the planet than burning dinosaurs....  ITS ALL THEFT VIA GREEN WASHING

I've started to use dipetane - in her focus - these are not meant to run E anything - the differences are startling - even she raves about the change

its gone for old tired wreck with a glitchy mid-range - to race car, happier than ever - loads more throttle response and power and and fuel use improved by 3mpg (57 plate 1.6vvct NA petrol)

not sure if millers is the same stuff - its odd stuff, throw in your tractor, boat, oil fired boiler, or petrol engine ???  its a win everywhere - get it at halfords  https://dipetane.com/ 

Packaging-final-002-scaled.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/25/2023 at 9:11 AM, alexp999 said:

The tuners get about 300 bhp out of it on 95.

because the budget planet destroying ethanol is great at resisting knock - and of course as its 6% less power than real fuel, it runs cooler - so they can turbo it to death - and then sell turbos as well as engines, fuel tanks, fuel pumps, injectors etc. 

and for most owners if you really measure mpg accurately many are seeing a 20% drop in mpg - all 6 vehicles I use are using at least this much more

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/fuel-and-oil-additives/dipetane-1ltr-fuel-additive-147953.html

Interesting to see some comments on this from a member on here. Various comments I've seen elsewhere range from "greatest thing since sliced bread" down to "snake oil" and everything in between. 

The positive end of the spectrum does suggest it may be more effective in older engines, particularly diesel. 

As it's produced in Ireland, wonder if any of our members from ROI and NI know a bit more about it?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

As it's produced in Ireland, wonder if any of our members from ROI and NI know a bit more about it?

I googled it after reading the post, I've never heard of it! I'm a sucker for car, 'snake oil' having fed every engine I've had for 40 odd years on Slick50 None have ever blown up so it obviously works, right? LOL

• Like 1

Well there's a name from the past "Slick50" and strangely enough the only oil additive I've ever used and it did work without a doubt (twice).

Back in the day I had a 1983 (A) Orion 1.3 GL and to get the car in reverse gear first thing in the morning after standing over night was a daily battle. I happened by chance to come across Slick50 gearbox oil treatment (not recommended to me by anyone) and I thought I'd give it a try. Sure enough in less than a couple of weeks the gearbox was fine, no more daily challenges of trying to get reverse gear. My neighbor also had a 1983 Orion 1.6 Ghia (more money than me 😉) with the same problem. So we added the a bottle of Slick50 gearbox oil and again within 2 weeks the problem was fixed.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club