Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brighter bulbs for old Fiesta.

leederbyshire

I guess most people here with an old Fiesta (mine is from 2003) have experienced a similar problem, but it's getting harder to see and be seen at night since everyone else seems to have a pair of Super Troupers (for those old enough to have been told what the song refers to) installed on the front of their cars.  Is there anyone here who has replaced their old filament bulbs with LEDs?  I only want to do sidelights and main beams; and I don't want anything that's going to blind anyone, or be in strange colours, need a fan to keep it cool (a possible point of failure) and they must definitely be legal and pass an MOT.  Thanks to the 'Bulb List' topic in this forum, I think I know what type of fitting to search for, but everything I find seems to go on about how massively bright they are.  Like I say - I don't want anything amazingly bright, just something appreciably better than what I have.  Is there a general rule for wattage, e.g. old bulb wattage = 10 times LED wattage?  I just don't want to buy what I think would work, only to find it doesn't.  I've wasted enough money in the past.

1 hour ago, leederbyshire said:

Is there anyone here who has replaced their old filament bulbs with LEDs? 

I know just the man to offer advice on the subject !!

@StephenFord

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, unofix said:

I know just the man to offer advice on the subject !!

@StephenFord

Here ya go LOL

• Thanks 1

Have they been working well?  There seem to be some conflicting opinions in that thread :-)  Has your car been MOT'd with them in?  Or would it be safer to swap them out before taking it?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, leederbyshire said:

Have they been working well?  There seem to be some conflicting opinions in that thread 🙂 Has your car been MOT'd with them in?  Or would it be safer to swap them out before taking it?

They work brilliantly, I'd never go back to Victorian light bulbs. Nope, MOT is in 4 weeks, will report back here but fully expect them to fail. Can't be *rsed swapping them out even though it's a 5 minute job!

not sure what the fitment is on a 2003 fiesta but im using the osram night breaker laser +150 h7 and h1 bulbs..they are not led and pass mot just fine with the osram cool blue intense 501 side lights which are not led either 🙂

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, OvEr_KiLL said:

not sure what the fitment is on a 2003 fiesta but im using the osram night breaker laser +150 h7 and h1 bulbs..they are not led and pass mot just fine with the osram cool blue intense 501 side lights which are not led either 🙂

I'm unsure how helpful that is to the OP who specifically was asking about LED bulbs, but nice to know that ordinary halogen ones pass the MOT 😂

6 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I'm unsure how helpful that is to the OP who specifically was asking about LED bulbs, but nice to know that ordinary halogen ones pass the MOT 😂

🤪 the OP also specifically asked for a solution that was legal and did pass the MOT, but nice to know you expect your LED Bulbs to fail the MOT 🤣

The brighter halogen bulbs will certainly help, but expect them to fail very quickly.

OP I can't help on specific fitment for the 2003 Fiesta, but retrofitting HID bulbs is a very good solution, and usually legal (or at least they pass the MOT) as they don't blind oncoming traffic.

3 minutes ago, orangecurry said:

The brighter halogen bulbs will certainly help, but expect them to fail very quickly.

OP I can't help on specific fitment for the 2003 Fiesta, but retrofitting HID bulbs is a very good solution, and usually legal (or at least they pass the MOT) as they don't blind oncoming traffic.

LED Bulbs if properly aligned do NOT blind oncoming drivers. Also, HID bulbs (which I have retro fitted in the past), will fail an MOT if you do not also have headlight wash system...

• Thanks 1

We have about 500 unknown factors in this, but do just tell me why you expect your LED Bulbs to fail the MOT?

Both LED & HID retrofits are technically an MOT fail.  Most testers either don't know or don't care.

Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, orangecurry said:

We have about 500 unknown factors in this, but do just tell me why you expect your LED bulbs to fail the MOT?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-1-4

EDIT: Darn Tom, you're quick LOL

As Tom says, usually the well-installed retrofit systems pass the MOT as the tester does not dismantle your headlights, but tests what he sees.

If the light pattern is obviously distorted or is scattered, he or she will fail it as that is what is observed.

So I ask again, Stephen, why do you expect your LED retrofit to fail the MOT?

2 minutes ago, orangecurry said:

As Tom says, usually the well-installed retrofit systems pass the MOT as the tester does not dismantle your headlights, but tests what he sees.

If the light pattern is obviously distorted or is scattered, he or she will fail it as that is what is observed.

So I ask again, Stephen, why do you expect your LED retrofit to fail the MOT?

I've already answered (see link, and Tom's explicit answer), however, I'm curious what the other 499 reasons are for failure??

You didn't answer - you posted the legislation.

But I can tell this is going nowhere.  Do just answer one thing for me.

If it fails the MOT on the bulbs, what will you do?

(no idea what you mean on the 499 failures things)

50 minutes ago, orangecurry said:

We have about 500 unknown factors in this, but do just tell me why you expect your LED bulbs to fail the MOT?

You were the one that mentioned the '500' reasons. Oh, if I fail, I will drive home, swap my bright LED Bulbs over to the old Victorian technology halogen ones, and resubmit for a 'fail' MOT. There , that should satisfy you 😂

(...but you even just quoted what I said - 500 factors, no mention of failure.... anyway...)

So you'll refit the LED Bulbs, even though they were the cause of the failed MOT?

3 minutes ago, orangecurry said:

So you'll refit the LED bulbs, even though they were the cause of the failed MOT?

Of course I will refit my LED Bulbs once it's passed with rubbish halogen lights. In the same way that 1000s of drivers refit their illegal number plates after passing with 'standard' ones! I find your question odd... You seem to think that 'government' know best LOL

Seriously?  Stupid number plates are not dangerous.  There's no comparison.

If your LED Bulbs fail the objective MOT test, it'll be because they'll be blinding everyone else who is unfortunate to be on the same roads as you.

1 minute ago, orangecurry said:

Seriously?  Stupid number plates are not dangerous.  There's no comparison.

If your LED bulbs fail the objective MOT test, it'll be because they'll be blinding everyone else who is unfortunate to be on the same roads as you.

OMG, what kind of KoolAid are you on. My LED Bulbs do NOT blind other drivers!! They have been professionally aligned, and their dispersion pattern is perfectly within legal guidelines. Why on earth would you even say something like that? I agree, there are many muppets driving around with rubbish headlight alignment that do blind oncoming drivers, in addition to keeping their rear fog light lit in clear daylight, and thinking their indicator is an optional extra - I'm not one of them...

• Like 1

Hi All.  My Fiesta takes H4 headlamp bulbs, and there are some on amazon that look interesting, although when they say they are x hundred % brighter, this tends to put me off rather than make me want to buy them.  I just want to be able to see when other drivers are blinding me, not blind them back :-)  I would be inclined to go for less bright ones, but better than what I have.  Maybe my old bulbs (and I know they are at least 15 years old, since I've never had to replace them - I only clean the contacts up a bit and they seem to recover) have deteriorated?

The higher output halogen bulbs, if made by the usual suspects (Osram, Twenty20 or Ring for instance) are a significant improvement over 'stock' bulbs, but they do not last as long.  Simple physics.... burn the filament hotter=brighter = shorter lifespan.

They do not blind oncoming traffic as they are the correct bulb for the installation in your car.

But if you have 15 year old bulbs, new standard bulbs may well be an improvement.

I have Bosch 'pure light' standard H7s in the Fiesta, and I can see everything I need to at night, but these are in the Mk7 headlights, which may have better reflectors/projectors than your 2003 versions.

Not expensive at 6.74 GBP, but it may give you the improvement you need.

Are your actual headlights in good condition?

I think I'll try one of the brighter Bosch variants (Bosch stuff has never let me down yet).  I keep the outside of the headlamps clean - beyond that, I don't know what else I can do with them.  Personally, I'd say my problem was due to the actions of a few other irresponsible drivers.  I don't have a problem on well-lit roads, but the untrimmed and overgrown lanes have me desperately searching for the white lines.

All this was prompted by my driving past an accident a few nights ago, and a copper shouted at me to put my sidelights on (it was early evening, and still light) as I went past.  They were already on.  I will probably try LED sidelights.  I can't imagine that would do much harm, or cost too much to at least try.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I have wanted LED headlights for a few years now but haven't because I want to remain road-legal, which up until now I have been unable to source any. https://valley-lighting.co.uk/products/2-x-h7-led-headlight-bulbs-4000lm . has anybody tried these bulbs? they are supposed to be a direct replacement for halogen bulbs, e-marked and 100% road-legal. so with that being said shouldn't be an issue mot. 

thoughts?

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club