Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Puma spare wheel.

OldblokeNewcar

Hello all, I've got a puma with a 24 x 24 megabox and I want to carry a spare, as I had used an inflation kit previously and it failed, leaving me stranded. I've been told a 125/18/16 will fit flat inside the box. Is this correct ?

If this is correct...best place to buy one would be ?

Many thanks for your help.

Might be just me (although I have just Googled them) but I don't know what a 24x24 megabox is and I don't recognise 125/18/16 tyre size. Could you check and/or clarify those descriptions?

9 minutes ago, alanfp said:

...but I don't know what a 24x24 megabox is...

Me too, thought it was one of those boom boxes the young'uns add to make their bangin' tunes louder LOL

16 minutes ago, alanfp said:

I don't recognise 125/18/16 tyre size

Lol, that would be pretty low profile! Probably 125/80 but the  correct spare size should be shown on the tyre pressure plate which is usually found on the passenger door pillar.

• Like 3

To fit in a 24" x 24" box the maximum size wheel/tyre combination you can use is

125/80/16  This will give an overall diameter of 23.9" so will just squeeze in with a tenth of an inch to spare 👍

Like this one:-  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164980530872

Or this one:-  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115882777736

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, unofix said:

To fit in a 24" x 24" box the maximum size wheel/tyre combination you can use is

125/80/16  This will give an overall diameter of 23.9" so will just squeeze in with a tenth of an inch to spare 👍

Who doesn't love a bit of 'A' level circle algebra 😂

• Like 1

Doesn't say how deep the box is.

What if the wheel/tyre were placed at an angle in the box 🙃

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, RayC333 said:

What if the wheel/tyre were placed at an angle in the box

That should make the situation worse. The dimension of the wheel at a diagonal would be slightly larger than when it lies flat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If the vehicle is originally built without a spare wheel, it won’t appear on the tyre pressure data inside the door on the B pillar. That is the case on ours.

1 minute ago, RL123 said:

If the vehicle is originally built without a spare wheel, it won’t appear on the tyre pressure data inside the door on the B pillar. That is the case on ours.

Those Ford people, they think of everything, don't they... 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Those Ford people, they think of everything,

Not quite !!

Otherwise they'd have made a square wheel to fit the box 🤣

• Haha 2

... or rectangular, then there would be two spare wheels for really hazardous journeys 😋

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, RL123 said:

That's interesting. I would have expected that, if a spare was available as an option on a range, that info would be on the data panel whether a particular vehicle had it or not. Space saver was an option on Puma and Kuga on the last price lists I've seen.

Mine was built without a spare (the option wasn't even available for the ST on the last price list, though it was still listed for some other versions) but the info is still on the door pillar data panel. 

Wonder if the OP or another Puma owner could take a look at theirs and let us know for future information?

Checking the Puma 2023 Ford Owners Handbook it does list a spare wheel (if fitted as an option - but not for the ST). Seems Ford have gone for an even smaller size than the one I'd calculated.

puma 2023.JPG

• Like 2

Larger discs and callipers on the 1.5 ST will not clear the standard spacesaver. You may find a larger one that will but I guess Ford may not advise due to the performance aspect of the ST

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RL123 said:

Larger discs and callipers on the 1.5 ST will not clear the standard spacesaver. You may find a larger one that will but I guess Ford may not advise due to the performance aspect of the ST

Yes, there are a few aftermarket spares advertised but I think the issue is more where to safely put it. I was advised that the Ford offering for non-ST models will fit in the megabox (just!) but the ST spacesaver would need to be larger diameter to clear the brakes and wouldn't fit in the square hole.

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

but the ST spacesaver would need to be larger diameter

Do we know that the OP (who has disappeared) has an ST version ?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, unofix said:

Do we know that the OP (who has disappeared) has an ST version ?

His profile just says "Puma" so I suspect not. Perhaps we'll find out if he returns!

Otherwise, we're just taking a short diversion as often happens - perhaps Roger (the other one) mentioned it because of your earlier post😀

On 8/18/2023 at 11:46 AM, unofix said:

Checking the Puma 2023 Ford Owners Handbook it does list a spare wheel (if fitted as an option - but not for the ST.)

• Like 1

I've got optional 19" wheels on mine, and I'm also looking into getting a space saver as well, had a puncture on one of my tyres 3 days into ownership. Wasn't a blow out but a small nail or screw hole right on the edge of the tread/ tyrewall.

Tyre garage repaired the puncture but said it wasn't 100% legal due to the close proximity to the sidewall, so decided to change the two font tyres, 2x225/40/19 Goodyear asymmetric 5 £360 ouch.

So looking on e bay for Focus MK4 spare wheel as these are the same.

eBay has dozens of them.

If you have the larger brake discs and calipers then Ford do not make a space saver wheel that will fit your car.

I wonder why manufactures think a can of aerosol is a worthy replacement for a proper spare wheel. (OK, I know, it's money), but I must admit if I was ever in the market for a new car, I wouldn't sign the paperwork till I had a proper spare wheel in the boot...

• Like 1

These are the correct wheel sizes that fit in the 24x24 megabox

Screenshot_20230822_184139_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230822_184044_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230822_184050_eBay.jpg

2 minutes ago, wilto said:

These are the correct wheel sizes that fit in the 24x24 megabox

As posted above on Friday

On 8/18/2023 at 11:46 AM, unofix said:

Checking the Puma 2023 Ford Owners Handbook it does list a spare wheel (if fitted as an option - but not for the ST). Seems Ford have gone for an even smaller size than the one I'd calculated.

puma 2023.JPG

• Like 1

Hello all, I've been away for the past week. Thanks for all your advice.

My car is an ST Line X Vignale.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club