Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adding Trip Computer

cressws1

Evening Guys.

Looking for a new project for the Focus and stumbled across this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-COMPLETE-FUEL-TRIP-COMPUTER-KIT-GHIA-RS-ST-/110542752831?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM#ht_3830wt_911).

What I need to know is:

- Is it just a case of plugging all of these gadgets in? Eg is the wiring loom already there for them or not?

- Where does the 'outside temperature gauge' go?

- Any advice from someone who's done this before.

Thanks in advance.

Evening Guys.

Looking for a new project for the Focus and stumbled across this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-COMPLETE-FUEL-TRIP-COMPUTER-KIT-GHIA-RS-ST-/110542752831?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM#ht_3830wt_911).

What I need to know is:

- Is it just a case of plugging all of these gadgets in? Eg is the wiring loom already there for them or not?

- Where does the 'outside temperature gauge' go?

- Any advice from someone who's done this before.

Thanks in advance.

the wiring isnt there on all cars the loom is behind the dash clock if you have it taped to the metal beam thats just a straight plug in then the washer bottle with the sensor has to be fitted the outside temp gaiuge goes under the scuttle panel there should be wires there if not then you dont have the wiring

ive always fancied doing this myself, might look into it sometime this weekend.

there is a guide on eBay for £1.99 that according to the listing has all the info you need.

Ok so I've been out and had a quick look (You know what its like when you get an idea) and Ive found a plug taped to the metal beam behind one of the air vents (see below), Is this the bad boy? Also if this is the wire I need am I right in thinking all I need is the following:

- Trip computer with new clock surround, Straight swap for the surround thats there now (minus the little cubby hole for coins of course!)

- Replacement indicator stalk, Straight swap for the one thats there now, Same way as the wiper stalk is done.

- Washer bottle with sensor, Wheel off, Wheel arch liner out, Undo bolts and give it a pull.

- Outside temperature gauge, Plugs into the loom with the Horn, Taped to a metal bar somewhere behind one of the front grills.

Sorry about the quality of the image, It was dark and a torch used as a flash!

post-4699-128293985582_thumb.jpg

I've been thinking of doing this for ages but from what i've heard from down the grape vine there not the most reliable of parts to wack on tempting i admit and id love the outside temp readout and range.

I've also bought from that seller before just a word of advice, Clean it before you fit it! lol

where is that connector located then? im gonna go have a quick look

EDIT: i presume its behind the dash trim where the computer goes?

I'd read a few reports saying it was behind the speedo clocks. These are removed by firstly removing the surround, 3 screws on the upper of the surround. Secondly remove the 4 screws from the clock set, DO NOT UNPLUG THE CLOCKS. The connector may be taped up in the foam sticky stuff to a metal bar.

Where I found mine was simply by pulling out the two central air vents (literally give the outer of the vents a pull and they will come away). It was taped in black electrical tape to a horizontal bar. The cable length is literally just long enough to reach where the trip computer goes.

Hope this helps.

I'd read a few reports saying it was behind the speedo clocks. These are removed by firstly removing the surround, 3 screws on the upper of the surround. Secondly remove the 4 screws from the clock set, DO NOT UNPLUG THE CLOCKS. The connector may be taped up in the foam sticky stuff to a metal bar.

Where I found mine was simply by pulling out the two central air vents (literally give the outer of the vents a pull and they will come away). It was taped in black electrical tape to a horizontal bar. The cable length is literally just long enough to reach where the trip computer goes.

Hope this helps.

yes that helps, so i should be able to get at the connector if i pull the clocks out? dont want to pull the vents out, last time i tried that i broke it :lol: wasnt a ford though..

yes that helps, so i should be able to get at the connector if i pull the clocks out? dont want to pull the vents out, last time i tried that i broke it :lol: wasnt a ford though..

It depends its an even shot at being behind either the clocks or the vent. I dont think you could break the focus vents they're not even held in with anything and just pull out.

It depends its an even shot at being behind either the clocks or the vent. I dont think you could break the focus vents they're not even held in with anything and just pull out.

hah, i will go have a look in a sec. standby for a damage report :lol:

EDIT: well i pulled out the 2 centre and driver side vent, no wiring there from what i can see. i will remove the clocks tomorow for a look.

is there any reason why the clocks shouldnt be disconnected? if the battery is disconnected then surely there is no difference? if i need the loom to fit mine i will need to disconnect them

well there is no wiring in my car for the trip computer :( pulled half the dash apart and no sign of it

and pin 10 on the stalk where the yellow and brown? wire should be is empty

well there is no wiring in my car for the trip computer :( pulled half the dash apart and no sign of it

and pin 10 on the stalk where the yellow and brown? wire should be is empty

Looks like you dont have it then mate. Its normally a case of you have all of the wires or none of them. I've yet to check the stalk but I'll nip out and double check.

What information do these actualy give as modern ones give loads of options , my mates fiat has trip time average speed current mpg

As well as outside temperature and Screen washer fluid level, It gives average speed, Average MPG, Current MPG, Frost Warning and Fuel Range.

Ah thats what i want mainly the average mpg and washer level. What air vent is it the wiring located as i tried pullin on the center vent and didnt want to come out ive got a mk1. And even if that came out it wouldnt of looked like what the picture did

That picture is of the surround of the trip computer (little coin tray to the left of your clocks) with the wire fed through the hole.

The place I found the wire was behind the left centre air vent taped down the back of the steel beam.

iv got a 2000 w ghia and i crnt find the wiring on mne but i thought with it being the ghia it should have it, il have a look behind the clocks laterb to day

iv got a 2000 w ghia and i crnt find the wiring on mne but i thought with it being the ghia it should have it, il have a look behind the clocks laterb to day

you wont get mpg etc as you wont have the fuel sensor that sits in the tank very few cars have it fitted as standard so it will only give you temp and washer low etc but no fuel data not all carss have it it depends on the reg ford removed the extra wiring from a lot of later models and the ghia my friend if a ghia comes with tyhe computer as standard

You sure it doesn't run off the same sensor as the fuel level warning?

You sure it doesn't run off the same sensor as the fuel level warning?

okay asked a guy im working with today his brothers a ford master mech the mpg and fuel functions will not work without the ecu priogrammed with those settings you will get the fluid warning outside temp and ice warning but nothing else also the indicator stalk needs to be switched with one that has the info function on it he has checked and only the ghia had the ecu preprogrammed with the settings and any others that specified it as standard it can be updated but will cost 150 quid to have it done you will need a friendly dealer to re-flash the ECU with software for a Fuel computer equiped car to enable it.

mines a ghia and it doesnt have it and my mum had a 2000 focus ghia and that didnt either

does any 1 know were the temp sensor plug is?i found a losse plug below the bonett mechanism with 1 wire coming out the back

mines a ghia and it doesnt have it and my mum had a 2000 focus ghia and that didnt either

does any 1 know were the temp sensor plug is?i found a losse plug below the bonett mechanism with 1 wire coming out the back

That will be it. As far as I know its in the same loom as the horn somewhere near the drivers headlight unit.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club