Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 Ecoboost wet belt

BILLYDAKID

Hi everyone,

I'm becoming quite the topic starter on here, and have received great advice from you all so far. I have a 2019 Focus ST Line X Auto which has the 1.0 Ecoboost engine - and I'm hearing some concerning things surrounding the engine and the belt. A friend of mine at a local garage called it an Ecoboom which filled me with confidence but by that point, I had already purchased the car and didn't know anything about these belts prior to this. My questions is this: How do I maintain the car in such a way that my belt doesn't deteriorate and destroy my engine? It's done 28k. Is it a case of regular checks on the belt? and if so, how much am I looking at for that each time? How regular also? I'm fearful that I might be driving a ticking time bomb at the moment judging by all these horror stories I'm hearing. 

Many thanks for your kind advice in advance

As yours is a 2019 Focus, it will have the revised engine which uses a chain for cam drive.

It does still use a wetbelt for the oil pump though.

And being an auto it uses an additional balance shaft which puts extra strain on the oil pump belt compared to the manual transmission versions.

Best maintenance for these is regular oil changes using correct oil, never use engine flush, avoid frequent short journeys if possible.

The oil pump belt can be checked by removing the oil sump, but it's not a quick job and not something I've seen anyone doing as a regular check so far.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

As yours is a 2019 Focus, it will have the revised engine which uses a chain for cam drive.

It does still use a wetbelt for the oil pump though.

And being an auto it uses an additional balance shaft which puts extra strain on the oil pump belt compared to the manual transmission versions.

Best maintenance for these is regular oil changes using correct oil, never use engine flush, avoid frequent short journeys if possible.

The oil pump belt can be checked by removing the oil sump, but it's not a quick job and not something I've seen anyone doing as a regular check so far.

Appreciate your reply mate. How regular should I be doing an oil change in your opinion? 

6 minutes ago, BILLYDAKID said:

Appreciate your reply mate. How regular should I be doing an oil change in your opinion? 

For normal use I'd say every 12 months or 12k miles should be fine.

The official Ford interval is every 24 months or 18k.

• Like 1

The official ford interval is part of the reason they go boom, 12k or yearly as said above is good, more frequent than that even better, Haynes recommend 6 months or 6k for oil changes on them.

Regular oil changes with the correct WSS-M2C948-B oil.

Never use flushes or the wrong oil in it - not even to top it up.

I've started a program of 6 monthly oil changes regardless of mileage. 6 months worked out as 9k miles for me this year so it will go back to Ford for a service in January at 12 months / 18k miles but with an interim 'peace of mind' oil change by me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Im in the same position, after buying it i hear all about the issues with the wet belt ? I drive a 1.0T Ecoboost ST Line X Euro 6 and is 2019 plate. i hope i will be OK. its showing 40k on the clock. Should i be concerned about replacing the belt now ?  Does mine have the revised engine with the chain for cam drive ?  Thanks for the advice and support in advice

13 minutes ago, Harry12 said:

Hi all, 

Im in the same position, after buying it i hear all about the issues with the wet belt ? I drive a 1.0T Ecoboost ST Line X Euro 6 and is 2019 plate. i hope i will be OK. its showing 40k on the clock. Should i be concerned about replacing the belt now ?  Does mine have the revised engine with the chain for cam drive ?  Thanks for the advice and support in advice

Focus or Fiesta?

16 minutes ago, Harry12 said:

Hi all, 

Hi Harry,

If it's a 2019 Focus it will have the revised engine with chain. If Fiesta, wet belt.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Hi Harry,

If it's a 2019 Focus it will have the revised engine with chain. If Fiesta, wet belt.

Hi Mate, its a ford focus

Hi Guys, mine is a 68 plate ford focus st line ecoboost PETROL , 3 out of 4 ford evans halshaw dealers have said its a revised wet belt ?   i guess the below is for diesel engines. 

chain for cam drive

wetbelt for the oil pump 

I have a ford focus 2019 ecobost and despite service every 6k miles it’s already started showing the low oil pressure sign and can’t seem to find a Ford garage appointment in my area

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Harry12 said:

Hi Guys, mine is a 68 plate ford focus st line ecoboost PETROL , 3 out of 4 ford evans halshaw dealers have said its a revised wet belt ?   i guess the below is for diesel engines. 

chain for cam drive

wetbelt for the oil pump 

As yours is a Mk4 Focus, that definitely has the revised engine with a chain for the cams.

The oil pump is still driven by a wetbelt on the revised engine though.

2 hours ago, Chigunduru said:

I have a ford focus 2019 ecobost and despite service every 6k miles it’s already started showing the low oil pressure sign and can’t seem to find a Ford garage appointment in my area

What kind of mileage does your Focus have? If it is the engine that has the turbo at the rear it is the later engine - also is this an Auto or Manual car?

Hi Tom, 

Appreciate your support, you are very helpful, i was on the ford support page and checked a recall section. it says 2018 in brackets ?  No recalls though ! From the paperwork i have from the the seller it was first registered on 21/02/2019..... see attached . What would you say ? 

focus check.JPG

The Focus Mk4 was released to the market in 2018 and therefore is referred to by that year. All Petrol Focus Mk4 engines have timing chains not a wet belt.

41 minutes ago, Harry12 said:

What would you say ? 

As already mentioned, the Mk 4 Focus had the revised (chain cam drive) engine from launch. This does have a wet belt for the oil pump.

The "2018" on the Ford literature is a bit confusing but just indicates it is a 2018-on model (ie Mk 4). They use the same identifier for downloading owner handbooks from their website.

Even if its a 1.0T Ecoboost ST Line X Euro 6 GEAR ? 

At the risk of repeating myself and everyone else.....

ALL FOCUS MK4 PETROL ENGINES USE A TIMING CHAIN NOT A WET BELT

There's not much more anyone can add to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers guys, your feed back does help, cant get a decent answer anywhere so appreciate the comments. Can you also tell from under the hood, some say if the turbo is at the back of engine its chain driven ? Probably cant tell from the attached. 

engine.JPG

13 minutes ago, Harry12 said:

Cheers guys, your feed back does help, cant get a decent answer anywhere so appreciate the comments. Can you also tell from under the hood, some say if the turbo is at the back of engine its chain driven ? Probably cant tell from the attached. 

engine.JPG

YES that's definitely the revised engine!

This is the wet belt, just for info:

IMG_20190308_100132_hdr.jpg

3 hours ago, unofix said:

At the risk of repeating myself and everyone else.....

ALL FOCUS MK4 PETROL ENGINES USE A TIMING CHAIN NOT A WET BELT

There's not much more anyone can add to that.

You can add pictures.

Untitled.thumb.png.b7fe311ef908bef9e4127486cfe9f0ed.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

YES that's definitely the revised engine!

But are you sure ?  🤔

I mean really and truly sure ?  🤔🤔

Might there be a small chance that a special Euro 6 engine with a wet belt could have been designed and fitted to a random Focus supplied to a dealer in the West Midlands ? 😉

• Haha 2

THANKS GUYS , appreciate the support 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club