Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel probem or electrics ? MONDEO MK4

Tom Edmund H

Hi all I'm a newbie here, though not in age.  I've got a 2010 mk 4 petrol 2000 Zetec hatchback, lovely car, runs beautifully,  however in the last week its had two breakdown  call outs as it wouldn't start.  battery ok, plenty of fuel, no fault codes, the car would sometimes catch but stall in a couple of seconds.  The first breakdown restarted it with a spray of quick start into the air intake, it started perfectly a dozen times after that, broke down again,  this time the quick start didn't work,  but the breakdown guy jacked it up and knocked around a lot under the car on the petrol tank and it started.  Once it starts it runs perfectly.

I took to a garage , no fault codes, fuel pump running at good pressure, they advised a redex-type cleaner to try something.   Yesterday morning wouldn't start again,  i banged around underneath and then used the quick start and it started all day with no problem.   I am scatching my head!! has anyone seen this before ? any ideas very gratefully received 

Cheers Tom 

The fact that it runs fine after starting suggests more likely to be a faulty tank pump motor than wiring.

If the motor settles in a 'dead' section when switched off, it won't be able to start again.  Knocking the tank just shifts it slightly round into the next section.  Same as with a faulty starter motor.

I think the EasyStart was a coincidence.

Unfortunately, you will have to drop the fuel tank on these to check the motor and the wiring, as I don't think there's an inspection hatch under the seats on Mk4.

Hi TomsFocus thanks for the reply, the first call out listened to the pump said it was running ok, is there any way of testing the pump before someone drops the tank and changes it?,  as it'll be a costly repair.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tom Edmund H said:

Hi TomsFocus thanks for the reply, the first call out listened to the pump said it was running ok, is there any way of testing the pump before someone drops the tank and changes it?,  as it'll be a costly repair.  

There's no way of testing the pump motor for that particular fault that I can think of.  The usual confirmation is that it can't be heard priming initially, and can then be heard priming after tapping the tank. 

If the pump is definitely still priming when it doesn't start then it's something else entirely though.  In that case, it would be worth getting Forscan and doing your own test for Ford specific codes which won't be picked up by the generic garage readers, and also doing your own live data checks, such as confirming good fuel pressure when it's not starting.

Thanks for that, should the pump start priming when the ignition is turned on? And wheres the best place to be able to hear it? In the boot, or under the back seat?  Should it sound like a whirring noise?

So the Forscan will pick up things the RAC plug in couldn't ?

Thanks again for the help 

9 minutes ago, Tom Edmund H said:

So the Forscan will pick up things the RAC plug in couldn't ?

Yes 👍

On 4/7/2024 at 8:59 PM, unofix said:

FORScan (for use with Windows Laptop) : https://forscan.org/download.html

It's what many Ford owners use including some Ford technicians.

vLinker FS, cable for laptop: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-vLinker-Adapter-FORScan-MS-CAN/dp/B0952P4MLP

vLinker FD, for android phone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-Bluetooth-vLinker-Scanner-Diagnostic/dp/B08H82WC8L

vLinker FD+, for iPhone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-Bluetooth-vLinker-Scanner-Diagnostic/dp/B08H8JHWP2

Hi Unofix, is there a subscription fee to use Forscan? and will it show intermittent faults through the history?

Lastly as a person with basic car  knowledge is it usable?

Thanks 

Tom

FORScan for use on a windows laptop is free, or you can buy the licence for £12 if you want to do some of the more advanced programming.

If you want to use the phone version of FORScan then it is a one off payment of £7

You will be able to read all stored DTC's with FORScan and of course clear/reset any problems once the faults have been repaired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Edmund H said:

Thanks for that, should the pump start priming when the ignition is turned on? And wheres the best place to be able to hear it? In the boot, or under the back seat?  Should it sound like a whirring noise?

Yes, a high pitched whine.  Either ignition on or some later Fords prime as soon as the drivers door is opened.  It'll only last for a few seconds until the desired start-up pressure is reached.  I've got fairly sensitive hearing and can usually hear them from the drivers seat, but really anywhere inside the car with the door closed should be good, as that'll cut out any other noises from outside.  Under the backseat is as close as you can get to it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club