Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Over Revving??

Emmz2478

i had some problems with my 2001 ford focus zetec, car was cutting out at junctions and roundabouts etc, serviced the car which is now running slightly better but instead of cutting out at roundabouts and junctions its over revving, also the engine seems to be misfiring whilst idle, any help will be greatly appreciated cos am reluctant to take it to a garage and to be honest cant really afford too x

i had some problems with my 2001 ford focus zetec, car was cutting out at junctions and roundabouts etc, serviced the car which is now running slightly better but instead of cutting out at roundabouts and junctions its over revving, also the engine seems to be misfiring whilst idle, any help will be greatly appreciated cos am reluctant to take it to a garage and to be honest cant really afford too x

if its over revving instaed of cutting out then they haVE ADJUSTED THE THROTTLE STOP SO THE THROTTLE IS NOW TOO FAR OPEN THIS WILL CAUSE IT TO OVER REV AT JUNCTIONS WHEN SLOWING DOWN IF IT WAS FORD TAKE IT BACK AND TELL THEM THAT THEY HAVE NOT FIXED YOURE ISSUE AND NOW THEY HAVE ADJUSTED THE THROTTLE STOP THE CARS OVER REVVING oh !Removed! had my caps on sorry if the cars cutting out there are a few possibilities.

1.do the dash trick put key in ignition and keep the trip reset button held down now with it held turn the ignition on but dont start the car let the dash go into test mode push the trip reset till you get cr-low this is the crank sensor now start the car and watch it should go cr-h then back to low thois tells you the crank sensor is working.

2. with the car idling look for the rubber pipe that goes to the throttle body looking down the back of the engine you will see it if not look between the airbox and block youll see a straight rubber hose that bends at the end going in under the throttle body while revving the car make sure this hose isnt collapsing in on itself.

3. failing all that and assuming the spark plugs are gapped right at 1.0mm not 1.3mm thats the old measurement and the coils fine the car needs to go in to foerd and ahve a software update for what is called idle undershoot you ask for the idle undershoot update

dont confuse the fact the focus 1.8 doesnt idle smoothly like the 1.6 as a misfire the way it works is the ecu will sit at 670-730rpm basically bouncing around in between those figures for the lowest emissions as a result it will slightly dip up and down when idling its not a misfire as many people confuse it with this its just the way the car is

thanks for your kind suggestions, i eventually called out the RAC to have a look at my car who did a diagnostics test which apparently would cost between £40 and £70 at a garage for him to tell me it was an oxygen sensor(£40 to £50 just for the sensor which apparently a focus has 2 of), all before he lifted the bonnet, when he did lift the bonnet he said he could here a hissing sound so checked some of my pipes and found a hole in the Vacuum Hose, unfortunately its a dealer part, so rang my main dealer who said to take it in, was there about 20mins, car now runs like a dream and all for the grand total 0f £11-55, fitted as well, saving myself at least £100 to £150. :D

thanks for your kind suggestions, i eventually called out the RAC to have a look at my car who did a diagnostics test which apparently would cost between £40 and £70 at a garage for him to tell me it was an oxygen sensor(£40 to £50 just for the sensor which apparently a focus has 2 of), all before he lifted the bonnet, when he did lift the bonnet he said he could here a hissing sound so checked some of my pipes and found a hole in the Vacuum Hose, unfortunately its a dealer part, so rang my main dealer who said to take it in, was there about 20mins, car now runs like a dream and all for the grand total 0f £11-55, fitted as well, saving myself at least £100 to £150. :D

sounds like the hose i was asking you tio check wouldnt have thought it was the o2 sensor though but there you go glad yopure up and running again

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club