Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ridiculous Insurance Quotes..

Kris Eagling

Why should a 40 year old who has just passed their test pay less than a 20 year old with 3 years accident free driving experience?

If you checked out the prices i'm sure you would find a 40 year old with 1 fault accident every year since they started driving would pay less than a 20 year old with no accidents, it makes no sense at all.

Actually, you're wrong. Just redone it using exactly the same details I used earlier as a 20 yr old with no claims. A 40 yr old with 5 claims in 5 years and when calculating Elephant wouldn't even give a price. The cheapest price came out £120 more than the 20 yr old with Insure Your Motor.that was without legal cover (£25 extra), no windscreen cover, no personal accident cover and no courtesy car, all of which Elephant offered. Looking down the list again, none of the big companies would give a quote.

As someone has already said stats can be brought out to support pretty much anything you like, when there is an accident to they collect details of star sign and sexual preference, how about eye colour? What if there was more accidents of people who have blue eyes should they be charged more? Of course not. The fact is that young men get screwed over because nobody in any position to do anything about it actually cares.

No, young men get screwed over because they are involved in more accidents than any other group, fact, there is no way of denying it.

Deal with it.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Magenta

• KeithC

• calmcdermott

• PumpkinSteve

just did my renewal and mine in fully comp, 4 years no claims, protected no claims, 15000 miles a year, 350 excess and my premium was £780.99. and thats with courtesy car, legal cover, and the extra to cover my paint protection film

I've got 1yr less than you (3yrs ncb - 1st year was named driver), do 10,000 more miles and have a £500 excess and mine is £720ish with courtesy car & legal cover.

Actually, you're wrong. Just redone it using exactly the same details I used earlier as a 20 yr old with no claims. A 40 yr old with 5 claims in 5 years and when calculating Elephant wouldn't even give a price. The cheapest price came out £120 more than the 20 yr old with Insure Your Motor.that was without legal cover (£25 extra), no windscreen cover, no personal accident cover and no courtesy car, all of which Elephant offered. Looking down the list again, none of the big companies would give a quote.

No, young men get screwed over because they are involved in more accidents than any other group, fact, there is no way of denying it.

Deal with it.

and did you do the 40 year old with no experience? it was less i'm sure.

good point that... how is a 19 year old with 2 years driving, 1 year no claim (due to only being on my own insurance this year) be less than someone who has no driving experience at all but are alot older?

good point that... how is a 19 year old with 2 years driving, 1 year no claim (due to only being on my own insurance this year) be less than someone who has no driving experience at all but are alot older?

Because they are automatically accepted as more responsible..... HOWEVER this does not make them a safer driver....

No I didn't, but I have now.

20 yr old, 3 yrs experience, no claims, £1063 with Elephant.

40 yr old, no experience, £1018 with Elephant.

So, £45 difference, hardly the biggest rip off known to man is it and you're not as hard done to as you'd like to think.

Just to throw a spanner in the works of all these wonderful ingredients that are supposed to come out with a 'fair' quote, I had been driving company cars for the best part of thirty years and the best 'goodwill' no claims discount I could get was three years when I came to insure my own car. Discount earned on your employers policy doesn't count. Even then I had to get proof from my employer's insurers that I was genuine. So much for driving experience counting for much.

Oh well, at least I had all those years free motoring with a new car every three years or so !

I had classic car policies of my own but again, they don't count.

No I didn't, but I have now.

20 yr old, 3 yrs experience, no claims, £1063 with Elephant.

40 yr old, no experience, £1018 with Elephant.

So, £45 difference, hardly the biggest rip off known to man is it and you're not as hard done to as you'd like to think.

Not sure why you refer to me as being hard done by, i'm nearly 27 i havent had a bad quote for any cars for years. This doesnt blind me to the fact people of certain ages get bad quotes. As you've already shown a 40yr old with no experience gets a lower quote than a 20 year old with 3 years worth of accident free driving behind them, you would think experience in driving would count for more than experience in life when it comes to car insurance.

From my point of view (I'm in my late sixties)...

...Young female drivers, usually in small hatchbacks (like the Fiesta) tend to be more aggressive than male drivers. I am only reporting my observations. At the risk being accused of sexism, I can only put this down to their desire to try to prove something or other (sorry Kris :rolleyes: ).

Or we could put this down to you simply paying more attention to young female drivers. ;)

Not sure why you refer to me as being hard done by, i'm nearly 27 i havent had a bad quote for any cars for years. This doesnt blind me to the fact people of certain ages get bad quotes. As you've already shown a 40yr old with no experience gets a lower quote than a 20 year old with 3 years worth of accident free driving behind them, you would think experience in driving would count for more than experience in life when it comes to car insurance.

Does it not occur to you that it's quite possible for the average 40 yr old with no experience is a lesser risk than a 20 yr old with 3 years experience? The insurance companies work their figures out on what they pay out and to whom, you don't just think they all got up one morning and said hey, let's just charge the young lads a fortune and we'll give everyone else much lower quotes.

People get "bad quotes" because they're amongst the category that cause the most accidents and claim the most from insurance companies. I can't see why anyone who have a problem with that, the high risks pay the highest premiums, it's always been like that and should always be like that. If you think different, show me some evidence apart from any ludicrous conspiracy theory.

Does it not occur to you that it's quite possible for the average 40 yr old with no experience is a lesser risk than a 20 yr old with 3 years experience? The insurance companies work their figures out on what they pay out and to whom, you don't just think they all got up one morning and said hey, let's just charge the young lads a fortune and we'll give everyone else much lower quotes.

People get "bad quotes" because they're amongst the category that cause the most accidents and claim the most from insurance companies. I can't see why anyone who have a problem with that, the high risks pay the highest premiums, it's always been like that and should always be like that. If you think different, show me some evidence apart from any ludicrous conspiracy theory.

I don't think I need evidence that its unfair to stereotype. You can't see why anyone would have a problem with that really? unfortunately everything isn't always fair, but that doesn't stop me from pointing out that it isn't fair.

I don't think I need evidence that its unfair to stereotype. You can't see why anyone would have a problem with that really? unfortunately everything isn't always fair, but that doesn't stop me from pointing out that it isn't fair.

What's not fair about it?

Are you saying the postcode system they use is not fair?

Are you saying the way they base it on the car is not fair?

I'll tell you what, before compalining about it, come up with a suitable solution.

There will never be a "fair" way of doing it as they can't look into the future, they have to base the risks on certain criteria's, certain possibilities. They have to assess the risk based on information they collect, which is what they do, again, how can anyone say that is wrong or unfair.

What other way would you want? Say everyone pays a baseline figure then pay for the claim costs themselves? That is the only fair way of doing it and believe me, there would be a lot of bankrupt people about, having their cars took off them, especially young men, the ones who crash more and claim more than anyone else. Is that fair?

Look at it this way, if I said to you I bet you this 17yr old won't crash. If I win, you get £2,000. If I lose - you lose (on avarage) around £18,000.

Do you still wanna bet me? :P

Look at it this way, if I said to you I bet you this 17yr old won't crash. If I win, you get £2,000. If I lose - you lose (on avarage) around £18,000.

Do you still wanna bet me? :P

Brilliant! B)

i agree that younger drivers can be more of a risk due to the immature drivers among them. But elderly drivers are just as bad.

i can understand someone 30-60's having cheaper insurance.

The only thing i don't agree with is, a young girl my age, (21) with same driving experience and car getting cheaper car insurance. I'm a safe driver and take more pride in driving my car than rallying it around with local yobs.

Previously i drove my "modified" golf, but i was still safe, no accidents etc... What you will find is the boy racer community you all seem to be ripping, are safe drivers. They do take pride in their cars, they join forums, and sites just like these, usually meet in quiet area, car parks etc... police often attend and walk around, they don't mind the organisation.

If you go to park your car, and theirs loadsa boy/girl racers near, you will notice they will ask questions about your car, have a look and leave you be.

The ones you are ripping are immature young drivers, but that immaturity can be seen by all ages on the road.

The main thing we are paying for is uninsured cars. However the government is currently trying to tackle this. They are trying to ensure ANY car on the road must be insured. Those currently SORN do not count. All cars not SORN on the DVLA Database will need insurance, and they will "hunt" these cars down. Problem is it will be a long process.

*Will try to find a link, cant remember where i read this*

I'm 20, IAM passed with 2yrs no claims.

Fully comp on a 2 litre Focus is about £800 for me, which is good.

Renewal, even though I'm now a year older, license year long + with 3yrs NCB is now £1250+

And I've shopped around - I can't find anything cheaper!

i agree that younger drivers can be more of a risk due to the immature drivers among them. But elderly drivers are just as bad.

i can understand someone 30-60's having cheaper insurance.

And they are up with the young lads with their premiums as they are the next highest risk.

The only thing i don't agree with is, a young girl my age, (21) with same driving experience and car getting cheaper car insurance.

Why not, the claims the insurance companies have to pay out are LESS to girls of this age compared to boys of this age. They also have less claims than boys of the same age. They would ask, why should they pay as much as boys, a very fair question.

I'm a safe driver and take more pride in driving my car than rallying it around with local yobs.

Then you will reap the benefits further down the line when your no claims build up.

Previously i drove my "modified" golf, but i was still safe, no accidents etc... What you will find is the boy racer community you all seem to be ripping, are safe drivers. They do take pride in their cars, they join forums, and sites just like these, usually meet in quiet area, car parks etc... police often attend and walk around, they don't mind the organisation.

If you go to park your car, and theirs loadsa boy/girl racers near, you will notice they will ask questions about your car, have a look and leave you be.

Well that's not strictly true, as I have seen many occasions of these meets spoilt by many a young person, and older to be fair, due to idiotic behaviour, the vast majority would be a male. But, as in life, the minority spoil if for the majority.

The ones you are ripping are immature young drivers, but that immaturity can be seen by all ages on the road.

Nobody has said any different. The problem is, that obviously occurs more in younger people than older people.

The main thing we are paying for is uninsured cars. However the government is currently trying to tackle this. They are trying to ensure ANY car on the road must be insured. Those currently SORN do not count. All cars not SORN on the DVLA Database will need insurance, and they will "hunt" these cars down. Problem is it will be a long process.

And to that frauding claims and fronting, the latter I would imagine involves mainly young drivers.

the fact of the matter is insurance companies and police take into account young men having accidents is stolen cars to show that young men are more likely to crash.

End of the day any company can make any stat look like anything they like. It doesnt matter to them because they now we all have to have insurance and yes now we have to have insurance for sorn cars aswell so even more money.

also please lets not moan to much about prices, our country has no money so we all take the hit for a while and we get on with it. no harm done

hi guys

just had my renewel from admiral , Im 26 nearly 27 and have been driving for just over 8 years and have 8 years no claims bonus. oh and have pass plus

Last year was my first time with them as they was the cheapest around , i payed £500 in lump sum for full cover thats with guranted/protected no claims , legal cover e.g..

i had 1 claim last year that was all settled.

this year ive had my renewel threw and it has gone up too £880!!!!

what i dont understand is from what im aware my claim should not effect price as its protected? , i understand insurance has gone up but what the hell!

Anyway i managed to get them to match the cheapest quote i could find on the net which was £670.

there is a huge !Removed! take with insurance companys though as i know someone who is 2 years younger than me has had a claims also and has a 1.6 diesel mk7 and got his for £500 threw the same company, perhaps this is because its his first time with them?

forgot to mention i have thatcham alarm on my car also

What you will find is the boy racer community you all seem to be ripping, are safe drivers.

If you really believe that then you're as deluded as Colonel Gaddafi. Back here on planet earth it's the boy racer community that's hit hardest with insurance premiums because they cost the insurance industry the most money.

I've lived all over the country and never once have I witnessed the boy racer community as safe drivers - I've certainly witnessed them as the worst drivers though. My evidence? I used to be one! Thinking back to the things I did, the amount of accidents I could have caused or the damage I could have caused to myself and others travelling at speed now sends shivers down my spine. But life isn't as precious when your younger basically because you know nothing about life.

By all means defend yourself against high premiums, but talking !Removed! will get you nowhere.

hi guys

just had my renewel from admiral , Im 26 nearly 27 and have been driving for just over 8 years and have 8 years no claims bonus. oh and have pass plus

Last year was my first time with them as they was the cheapest around , i payed £500 in lump sum for full cover thats with guranted/protected no claims , legal cover e.g..

i had 1 claim last year that was all settled.

this year ive had my renewel threw and it has gone up too £880!!!!

what i dont understand is from what im aware my claim should not effect price as its protected? , i understand insurance has gone up but what the hell!

Anyway i managed to get them to match the cheapest quote i could find on the net which was £670.

there is a huge !Removed! take with insurance companys though as i know someone who is 2 years younger than me has had a claims also and has a 1.6 diesel mk7 and got his for £500 threw the same company, perhaps this is because its his first time with them?

forgot to mention i have thatcham alarm on my car also

Unfortunately that's a misconception, it doesn't work like that as far as I'm aware.

For example, I'll use figures plucked out of the air.

Person A has full NCB giving him a 75% reduction and has a clean claim record. The insurance works out the figures and his premium comes to £2000 minus his 75% reduction, giving a premium to pay of £500.

The following year they have made a claim but as they protected their no claims, they are still at Full NCB and 75% reduction.

When the insurance works out his premium, they note he has made a claim and it adjusts the working out process accordingly.

So, when the insurance works out the costs and adding the claim made into those costs, the premium then comes out at £3000, then they deduct the 75% for his Full NCB, giving a premium of £750.

Protecting your no claims doesn't mean a claim will not be held against you when your next premium is worked out, it will mean you will not lose a reduction of your NCB.

can someone answer this please

if i have 8 years no claims protected bonus and make a claim , should my insurance still be going up ? , i thought if it was protected it should not effect the price?

thanks

*thanks keith for answering that above*

Unfortunately that's a misconception, it doesn't work like that as far as I'm aware.

For example, I'll use figures plucked out of the air.

Person A has full NCB giving him a 75% reduction and has a clean claim record. The insurance works out the figures and his premium comes to £2000 minus his 75% reduction, giving a premium to pay of £500.

The following year they have made a claim but as they protected their no claims, they are still at Full NCB and 75% reduction.

When the insurance works out his premium, they note he has made a claim and it adjusts the working out process accordingly.

So, when the insurance works out the costs and adding the claim made into those costs, the premium then comes out at £3000, then they deduct the 75% for his Full NCB, giving a premium of £750.

Protecting your no claims doesn't mean a claim will not be held against you when your next premium is worked out, it will mean you will not lose a reduction of your NCB.

i wonder how much my claim will effect my premium next year (discounting the normal rises should it be better if i have not made a claim within in say 2 years?)

KeithC answered you're question

i wonder how much my claim will effect my premium next year (discounting the normal rises should it be better if i have not made a claim within in say 2 years?)

It's really hard to say although it's obvious to say making no claims would be the best solution but that's not always a possibility. If you've still got your full NCB then it shouldn't be too bad.

I'll give a little example.

Last Oct my car got nicked after they broke into my house and took the keys, was found an hr after I reported it due to a tracker and was told it had no damage, they leave them to see if the Police pick it up, ie, it's got a tracker. if it's there the next day or so, they'll take it again presuming no tracker is active.

So, I thought, no damage, I've £600 excess, I'll not claim, it'll only cost me more. How wrong could I be.

The Police impounded the car and kept it for forensics for two weeks, because my house was broke into. I thought they'd have it for a couple of days max. So, I used the Fiesta for a week but I had to have a courtesy car for the week after, as I still needed to go to work. I was also told I would have to pay £150 to release my car from the recovery place that had my car whilst the Police we're dealing with it. I would then have to replace my iPod that was in it. So we're already on £200+ VAT for courtesy car for a week, £150 for recovery, £130 for a new key and the stolen key decoded out so they couldn't start the car but could still get in it and £100 for a second hand iPod. So it would cost me £20 more than my excess to get my car back with a key still out there and those who had it knowing my address, so I had to claim. They changed all my locks, EWS system that the keys are coded to, a set of new keys, a valet after the Police left it full of fingerprint dust and all in I had a courtesy car for 5 weeks whilst it was sorted.

My insurance was due start of Feb and I was dreading the increase, even thinking about selling the car as I wasn't prepared to pay an astronomical amount. My premium last yeat was £470 fully comp with protected no claims and full NCB, my renewal came through with my claim well and truly there and the premium had risen to £580, so all in all, a £110 increase from the previous year. I was more than happy with that as insurance has risen dramatically over the last 12 months due to all sorts of things, including the 2 bad winters and was expecting it to be not far off £1000.

So, it's fair to say I'm much better off in the long run having made a claim.