Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Light (Miles Till Empty)

Jonny lad

Hey lads just recently bought a 58 plate zetec s. The light comes on around 50 miles left (this is what the info button tells me so how many miles left till empy) anyway as it comes on with 50 miles left is it ok to run it on the light till about 15 miles left? then re-fuel. Answers would be much appreciated. Just normally the petrol light used to come on on my old corsa and i had to re-fil. But this is new technology for me, but surely if it states it has 50 miles left In it I won't brake down providing I don't go to 0.

Hope I get some answers as I'm confused

Don't flame cos I'm new :)

Jon

Regards Jon

The only real way to find out how much you have left is to fill your tank full to the brim, knowing what tank capacity help (this should be in your handbook)say for this test its 50 litres, then drive until the light goes on, then refill, say if you put 40 litres in back to the brim you know roughly when the light goes on you have approx 10 litres left. Then work out what your doing to the gallon. on the same basis 8 litres is about 1.7 gallons and if you doing say 40mpg then you will have around 65-70 miles before running dry.

I frequently refill when it gets to about 15 miles, when the warning comes on when you get to 50 it does give you a fair amount of time as if you look on the fuel gauge it still shows a fair bit left in the tank. But I suppose this all then depends on driving style etc so I wouldn't push it past 15 really!

Cheers guys love the feedback, i filled it up at 28 today, so i will probs fill it up next time at 20, 15 sounds too scary nicola! haha!

When i took my car on a test drive the display read 0 Miles, the dealer told me that was fine, so off i went and completed an 8 mile round trip with 0 on the display. I wouldn't let it drop too low though as i don't imagine it is too good for the engine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club