Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Service - Visual Inspection Results

MartynS

My car had its first service yesterday which included a free visual healthcheck, most of which is good, but I'm surprised at the brake pad wear. The fact that for both the nearside and offside, front and rear there's two figures I presume this relates to the two pads per disc? The rears are marked as not inspected but all 4 front figures show 30%. The car has only done 7945 miles, surely pads should last longer than 26483 miles? I don't slam the brakes on everytime I stop or use them when rolling down hills so the wear figure seems quite high. Has anyone else had a written inspection like this?

Also, and I believe this is more normal based on other posts here, but the front tyres are down to 4-5mm, rears 6-6.5. Looks like the next service may be an expensive one!

Brake pads usually last an average of 15,000-20,000 miles, so that sounds like excessive wear to me, as going by my maths, that means they will be squealing at about 10,000 miles...

As for the tyres, it is correct for the front ones to wear faster, as they do the steering, driving, and most of the braking.

...all 4 front figures show 30%. The car has only done 7945 miles, surely pads should last longer than 26483 miles?

Brake pads usually last an average of 15,000-20,000 miles, so that sounds like excessive wear to me, as going by my maths, that means they will be squealing at about 10,000 miles...

If 30% is 7945 miles then the 26483 is 100% - I know you don't use them all the way to the end, but that puts it in the normal range doesn't it?

If 30% is 7945 miles then the 26483 is 100% - I know you don't use them all the way to the end, but that puts it in the normal range doesn't it?

Oh, I see what you mean! I thought you meant they had 30% left on them! Ah, well 26,483 is a perfectly normal life span for brake pads.

haha sorry for the confusion, I should have written that more clearly :P.

That's a relief then, seeing 30% on the form looked high! I'm sure someone told me theirs was at about 10% on their second service, around 20k, which now as I've thought about it is impossible :lol:. Maybe the form showed 90% wear and was interpreted as 90% left :rolleyes:.

My car is nudging 22k miles and had it's second service yesterday. I asked about the brakes and they checked them and said they are fine, probably will need a change next service. I did have the brake fluid changed though as Ford recommend it every 2 years to reduce moisture build up. I'm not fussed as it needs to be replaced anyway every so often.

I had my first service yesterday, (the cars nearly 1 year old and has just went over 10,000 miles), my front tyres had 5mm left and the rear 6mm left. My brakes were also fine and mines an auto, so I would of thought I would of used my brakes more than you for example, plus I've done over 2,000 miles more... :-S

My brakes were at 10% used (90% left) on my service earlier this week. I'd expect around 25-30k out of the brakes.

Hi

My front brakes have roughly 50% meat left on them and i have done 20800 miles.

Remember there is/was a tsb out on sticking brake calipers or was it squeeking caused by brake dust which would both cause excessive wear.

Jamie

Brake pads usually last an average of 15,000-20,000 miles.

Not quite sure where you got that figure from...

Our fiesta has done 32k miles and the brakes still have plenty of life in them. If i remember correctly, at its 25k service, the brakes had about 50% left in them.

My mum had a Volvo S40 and that had 55k miles from new on it when she sold it and its brakes didn't need to be replaced.

• 4 years later...

Hi all and I'm sorry to bumping an old post.

Brought an St3 petrol estate in Sept 2015. Brand new.

Now I'm on 8,196 miles today.

Just took it into ford garage due to metal on metal noise from brake drivers side.

They checked the car and found oil very low.

Coolant very low

Pads passenger side 90% worn

Pads driver side 98% worn

Disks need replacing.

They said they had no oil and I could buy some from Halfords.

I spat my dummy out. After buying a 28 grand motor I'm not going Halfords every 3 months and buying new pads.

So I'm trying to find out if st3 brakes do wear at under 8000 miles as ford garage making me believe.

Why did they not tell this when I purchased the car and save me the bill of new disks???

Your valued time and help are Appriciated and required in thus matter.

Thank you,

A st3 loving car owner. 

• Like 1

8k does seem premature for the % of wear you state, however brake pad longevity does depend to a certain extent on the technique used to brake . .  some people are heavy footed & some are not  . .  some habitually brake late & some don't - so it's not easy to compare like with like really

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Thorsfew said:

Hi all and I'm sorry to bumping an old post.

Brought an St3 petrol estate in Sept 2015. Brand new.

Now I'm on 8,196 miles today.

Just took it into ford garage due to metal on metal noise from brake drivers side.

They checked the car and found oil very low.

Coolant very low

Pads passenger side 90% worn

Pads driver side 98% worn

Disks need replacing.

They said they had no oil and I could buy some from halfords.

I spat my dummy out. After buying a 28 grand motor I'm not going halfords every 3 months and buying new pads.

So I'm trying to find out if st3 brakes do wear at under 8000 miles as ford garage making me believe.

Why did they not tell this when I purchased the car and save me the bill of new disks???

Your valued time and help are Appriciated and required in thus matter.

Thank you,

A st3 loving car owner. 

All depends how much you thrash it about.

If you took your car to the track and hammered it around, then I doubt they would last more than a few days, whereas if your constantly in traffic jams and stop start traffic with minimal harsh braking then they will last longer.

All depends on how hard you personally thing your using them, if you don't think your pushing them then 8k maybe a little low 

• Like 1

The fact that the oil & coolant levels are also low is a little worrying too - how often do you check them ?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club