Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Non Electrical Interference From Aerial On Am Reception Only

AndrewB1953

I purchased a 2009 Fiesta 3 months ago and in the early days I noticed crackling when driving around, especially over speed bumps and poorly surfaced roads. I tightened up the aerial thinking that would do the trick. Then having not used the car for a week or so I noticed it again. It'son all stations across the band, such as 5 Live and Talksport, so it is nothing to do with signal strength as they are all pretty high power with good reception in the area where I live (west London).

In an attempt to sort it out I took off the aerial and thoroughly cleaned the male and female connectors to remove any possible corrosion. I then applied vaseline and tightened it up. Hey presto it seemed to work the next time I went out on the road - crackling gone. However, not a happy ending because the 3 month warranty is due to expire this weekend I did a final check and the crackling has re-appeared.

I can replicate the crackling by moving the aerial up and down manually with the engine switched off, so to me, that rules out everything not aerial related.

I took the car in today to Dagenham Motors and they say that they cannot find the cause, however I am not convinced that they quite get it. The person who booked in the car says it's because it's AM however being a former radio amateur who knows a bit about broadcast reception I think that as it's not something that has a computer diagnosis they are out of their depth.

If it's not the actual aerial could it be an earthing issue?

Has anybody had a similar problem and managed to resolve it?

Try fitting ferrite rings to the cable between the antenna base and the radio.

This should help screen out some interference.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club