Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catalytic Converter Problems

Damian_B

Hi,

Four years ago I had to buy a new catalytic converter for my Focus. I've just been told I need yet another one. What could be wrong with it? It can't be normal to have to replace the catalytic converter every four years, can it? The car is only 8 years old and has done 90k.

After getting the new one fitted four years ago I continued to have problems with the engine warning light being on. The garage said they didn't know what was wrong with it and basically shrugged it off. This was a garage approved by the Office for Fair Trading, not a totally dodgy one.

I'd be grateful for any advice. I don't want to replace another catalytic converter if it will just go again in a couple of years. Is there likely to be an underlying problem, or could the garage have botched the installation of the last one?

Thanks.

DB

Could be a few things , un- burnt fuel can cause early fails , or bad mixture of fuel causing it to clog easily.

Also continued use of additives can cause them to fail.

Incorrect fuel/air mixture, incorrect timing, or misfiring plugs are the first things to check

did you have the fault codes read? this is what the engine warning light is indicating..

Moving to the Focus section, its probably better served there!

• 4 weeks later...

should never fit a cat till youve found and cured the problem that caused it to go in the first place...if that hasnt been done then guarantee it will keep blowing.

if engine light is/has flashed then the reason it flashed will be instantly stored in the ecu....majority of cars it will stay there till its been read and cleared with a reader..

if it was me, thats first point of call...get it read followed up with an emmission test and readout...

one tip....always remember any fault code is a clue to the fault, not a definite reason for whats wrong.

for eg...code tells you oxygen sensor is not switching...doesnt mean sensor is faulty, it could be a wiring fault, could be injection fault, ecu fault and so it goes on...

finally, be aware that cheap cats are known for failing prematurely....a definite item that fits in the you get what you pay for catagory.

Is the car a petrol or a diesel? what engine/ capacity is it?

(i assume its a petrol engine) if its a petrol the engine has to operate at the correct air/ fuel ratio, otherwise it can contaminate or burn out the CAT, without fixing this 1st it will continue to need CATs (as wase has said)

Thats a good piont about sensors etc, the amount of times iv'e read on forums, that someone hase replaced a sensor (sometimes at great cost) because its showing a fault code, to find the new one shows the same code

Also, other things can contaminate CATs, like a worn engine

• 6 years later...

Hi I have a ford focus mk3 2013 1.0l ecoboost,  it's very good running car, I had the engine light on and took the car to my garage and guy took light off and said take the car for a motorway run and 4th gear for a while?  The car runs very good,  no problem except that light?  Now it's gone and I've put cataclean in  it, does anyone think anything else what it could be,  or will that be it gone? 

if the light was on there would be a fault code registered. but we don't know what the fault code was, the garage must have been able to see what it said.

23 hours ago, spennyboy71 said:

guy took light off and said take the car for a motorway run and 4th gear for a while

Sounds like he thought it needed to regenerate its DPF but the Mk3 EcoBoost doesn't have one. He should have known that.

• Like 1

It's probably a lambda fault, get it plugged in by someone else and tell us what the code is.

On a MK3/MK3.5  1.0 ECOboost a defective catalytic converter is quite common. Especially when low quality or low octane fuel is used. There is a huge chance that the problem will come back sooner or later.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys, it was low emissions code that came on a few times,  anyway I've taken it to the garage and got worst possible news,  new cat needed, so it's in now and I'll get it back tomorrow with a new cat, the guy in the garage says a ford mechanic diagnosed it and needed a cat, so a bit sceptical as it just passed its MOT  last week and that was after I'd had the check light taken off twice,  and this was 3rd time and took it back to the garage and they ended up saying it needs a cat?? Well I will see if it performs any better,  and another thing I forgot to mention that it was using more petrol than normal since first check light?  Anyway thanks,  I'll let yous know the outcome. 

Just make sure the spark plugs are correct spec (Standard Ford are best)  and in good condition.

Use good quality fuel, BP etc (don't waste your money on Super Unleaded)

Check HEGO sensor for fault (the one before the cat)

• 2 years later...

my engine service light come on and when it is put through a tester it said the fuel was to rich but when the tester is removed the  light goes out for around two weeks then comes on again

I am not sure what the problem is when my Engine service light comes on and when checked is said that the fuel is rich, then when they unplug the testing unit the warning light goes out and returns in around two weeks, the car is running well with no problems, it has had new spark plugs fitted and the company when asked if they are the correct plugs the answer was they are fitted to the rego of the car. 

all i want to know if anyone else has had a similar problem.

cheers,

Simon

What is the fault code.  Fuel is rich is a bit too vague.  Can you tell us the code (the letters and numbers)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club