Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lenny

So should I put a cleaner in the fuel tank before I fill up next

If it's clogged to the point of being solid (I. E. The carbon is its own blanking plate) then no market cleaner will help you, terraclean probably would do a good job on it but your likely needing it removed and cleaning properly for a full perfect clean

• Like 1

Hi guys

Newbie to the forum here.

I have a 2004 cmax tdci. Just lately whwn driving the power seems to drop off, after pulling over and restarting the car shes fine again. Will blanking off the egr help stop this happening ?

Many thanks

• Like 1

I had the issue on my car, it was a cracked intercooler pipe.

the EGR could do with being blanked and you should defininately check the pipe. There was a fault with 1.6 TDCI and the intercooler pipes design. The welding weakens and splits.

Check how to replace an intercooler pipe in my signature.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the reply !

Where is the intercooler pipe found ?

• Like 1

have a look at my replacement thread in my signature, its got a load of pictures and steps so will help you understand more. It was done on a MK1 55 plate focus 1.6TDCI :)

• Like 1

Brilliant !

Checked my pipe and its seems ok ! No leaks I'm just gonna blank the egr at the weekend and see hows she goes :)

Again thanks for all your help :)

• Like 1

Ive finally converted this guide tp pdf format for easy download and print or view,

See link here to download this guide in pdf:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/62546-guide-fitting-egr-blanking-plate-16tdci-engine-pdf/

• Like 1

Thank, Lenny. Very detailed. I just did the job on my 1.6 Focus. A few comments:

1) I wasn't sure which way the plate should be - it is not symmetrical. You had a photo of it in your hand - but it seemed to fit better another way.

2) My car had a plastic thing in the way of the cooler nut - this is presumably to hold the engine cover (which I don't have any more) - this made the loosening the nut more difficult.

3) The lower nut on the valve is very much easier to see from the left!

4) I removed the diesel filter and holder - which made it easier to insert the plate.

5) Rather oddly, the gasket was only over one of the 2 bolts - presumably an earlier owner had replaced it wrongly. I decided to cut my losses and did not take out the very long bolts to try to place it correctly. Instead I inserted the plate on the engine side of the gasket. (I know it would have given a better seal on the other side - as you said.....)

• Like 1

Thanks, Lenny. Very detailed. I just did the job on my 1.6 Focus. A few comments:

1) I wasn't sure which way the plate should be - it is not symmetrical. You had a photo of it in your hand - but it seemed to fit better another way.

2) My car had a plastic thing in the way of the cooler nut - this is presumably to hold the engine cover (which I don't have any more) - this made the loosening the nut more difficult.

3) The lower nut on the valve is very much easier to see from the left!

4) I removed the diesel filter and holder - which made it easier to insert the plate.

5) Rather oddly, the gasket was only over one of the 2 bolts - presumably an earlier owner had replaced it wrongly. I decided to cut my losses and did not take out the very long bolts to try to place it correctly. Instead I inserted the plate on the engine side of the gasket. (I know it would have given a better seal on the other side - as you said.....)

Hi Bob,

No problem mate,

Glad you got it fitted in the end i have saw mk2 models have a plastic casing which holdes some loom at the rear of the engine which is not present on facelift models,

Gasket would have been better on engine side but mow that its blanked there wont be any pressure from the engine side as the flow comes from the cooler side,

End result is all good aslomg as you dont ell fumes inside the car,

If you do then id refit the gasket.

But if not then its all good.

Hi

Blanked mine off and I used to get around 26 miles to the gallon its now showing 32 plus ☺just need to now source a new maf sensor

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the guide, it really helped.

However, I did come across a problem. I couldnt actually get the panel to come off after taking the clips and windscreen wipers off. They seemed to have gone a bit mad with the glue between the panel and the windscreen! But I managed to take the panel off underneath and just man handled the stuck panel out the way to get access where I needed to.

I also did this job as part of changing the fuel filter which made access easier.

And so far no warning lights and hopefully will bring some benefits! Cheers.

• Like 1

Hi

Blanked mine off and I used to get around 26 miles to the gallon its now showing 32 plus ☺just need to now source a new maf sensor

glad to hear it mate,

For optimum results see my other guide on upgrading induction filter:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36783-green-cotton-performance-induction-filter-fitting-guide/

Thanks for the guide, it really helped.

However, I did come across a problem. I couldn't actually get the panel to come off after taking the clips and windscreen wipers off. They seemed to have gone a bit mad with the glue between the panel and the windscreen! But I managed to take the panel off underneath and just man handled the stuck panel out the way to get access where I needed to.

I also did this job as part of changing the fuel filter which made access easier.

And so far no warning lights and hopefully will bring some benefits! Cheers.

I've encountered this issue with panel bonded before on a work mates mk2 saloon,

Had the windscreen replaced at some point and the glue stuck panel aswell,

Is a pain in the glass to get around it but only needs doing once,

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant Guide Lenny. Cheers mate !

No problem cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I've followed your guide but I can't seem to remove the top panel, is there a trick to it? It seems that it is very tightly sealed and I don't want to tear it apart!

• Like 1

Hi there, I've followed your guide but I can't seem to remove the top panel, is there a trick to it? It seems that it is very tightly sealed and I don't want to tear it apart!

Ive saw this problem after windscreen has been replaced,

The replacement seal bonds the panel,

Only option is to undo the neighbouring fuel filter bracket to gain access from the side,

Your one of three whom have had to do it this way mate but once its done its done for life.

Thought that might be the case, thanks for the prompt response. Do I have to take any pipes of to remove the filter bracket?

• Like 1

Thought that might be the case, thanks for the prompt response. Do I have to take any pipes of to remove the filter bracket?

Shouldnt need to disconnect fuel pipes mate,

If you get a piece of masking tape and stick it to the edge of the blanking plate,

You can hold the tape to help you slide it in to place,

Sorry for delayed response i was in work last night 23:00-07:00

There's a fuzzy pipe which is blocking the nut on the outside of the bracket, I took a photo but I don't know how to upload haha.

• Like 1

is it on the net, or is it on your pc?

• Like 1

Hi Lenny!

I have a Ford C-Max 2007 1.6 TDCI 90HP with 155.000km. Can I fit this blanking plate on my C-max and will be any fault codes ? And one more question: Should i clean the EGR before blanking?

Now no fault codes and no engine faults, but sometimes when starting the rpm is changing, and in gear 4 sometimes falling the power... PLS help me. I bought that blanking plate from eBay, but i'm afraid now from fit it, cause Ford service said it will kill engine.

Thx! : Xturics

• Like 1

Hi Lenny!

I have a Ford C-Max 2007 1.6 TDCI 90HP with 155.000km. Can I fit this blanking plate on my C-max and will be any fault codes ? And one more question: Should i clean the EGR before blanking?

Now no fault codes and no engine faults, but sometimes when starting the rpm is changing, and in gear 4 sometimes falling the power... PLS help me. I bought that blanking plate from ebay, but i'm afraid now from fit it, cause Ford service said it will kill engine.

Thx! : Xturics

Hi,

In any case EGR is always best blanked,

Its the active EGR and DPF that are killing your engine,

Fit the blanking plate mate same engine as saw in this guide,

No error as result,

No need to clean before blanking as theres no advantage,

Do clean air inlet hose from airbox to turbo if desired with hot water only. No detergents as they will harden the rubber causing splits,

Ensure its dry prior to refitting.

Also upgrade induction filter to Green Cotton filter,

And if you live in Ireland and have 400 euro contact MFK for DPF removal before it kills your turbo.

They cut open the dpf remove internals and seal it back up looks like it was never touched keeps nct happy and lower emissions

Also use Wynnes engine flush on next oil change,

Ford dont want you to blank egr because the active egr is slowly killin) your turbo which will make them money replacing mate.

• Like 1

Hi,

In any case EGR is always best blanked,

Its the active EGR and DPF that are killing your engine,

Fit the blanking plate mate same engine as saw in this guide,

No error as result,

No need to clean before blanking as theres no advantage,

Do clean air inlet hose from airbox to turbo if desired with hot water only. No detergents as they will harden the rubber causing splits,

Ensure its dry prior to refitting.

Also upgrade induction filter to Green Cotton filter,

And if you live in Ireland and have 400 euro contact MFK for DPF removal before it kills your turbo.

They cut open the dpf remove internals and seal it back up looks like it was never touched keeps nct happy and lower emissions

Also use Wynnes engine flush on next oil change,

Ford dont want you to blank egr because the active egr is slowly killin) your turbo which will make them money replacing mate.

I have no DPF (perhaps all 90PS with no DPF version) Will it generate more smoke ? Have you any experience with this? Will it hold the Euro emission values?

• Like 1

I have no DPF (perhaps all 90PS with no DPF version) Will it generate more smoke ? Have you any experience with this? Will it hold the Euro emission values?

Ive had a ceramic dp: removed, egr blanked, green cotton induction filter, 2.5" dual exit exhaust, remapped to 125bhp went for MOT test and the carbon emissions are lower than a standard focus,

I reckon blanking the egr has had significant help in reducing carbon emissions as gasses dont recirculate.

• Like 1

Also, another plus of blanking the EGR is that the lag that is usually present in 1st gear will be gone.

I would love to see a C-Max modified with rims, lowered and bodykit!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club