Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Lights Permanently On. Possible Pedal Problem

apples76

I have a problem with my brake pedal not returning far enough to switch the brake lights off.

with the pedal at rest there is approx a 2 - 2.5 cm gap between the brake pedal and the switch mounting plate which appears to be to far away to activate the switches (light & Crusie).

i have tried pulling the pedal back but nothing happens. (was hoping for a ratchet adjustment...)

I can slacken the white plastic nut which allows the pedal to fully return but it then just falls back.

would like to get the car on the road this week so need it ready for MOT ASAP.

Thanks

Peter

will be the switch itself.

been a while since ive changed one, so doing this from memory.

remove the old switch, think its just twist and pull to remove.

disconnect the wire plug.

some switches can fail if not fitted correctly, not sure if this applies to fords, but follow this following method to be safe.

start the engine, then press and HOLD the brake pedal down as far as you can, either by hand or fashion a wedge of some kind...switch engine off

without touching the plunger, insert the new switch, once fitted, you need to release the brake pedal SLOWLY untill its fully released...you'll notice as it releases it pushes the plunger in untill pedal reaches its stop...if you release pedal too quickly, it can damage the electrics in the switch or push plunger too far in and end up with lights staying permanently on again...so release the pedal gradually.

once thats done, reconnect the wiring and should be job done.

as i said, been a while, but im sure its correct.

Hi Wase,

The switch still works when pressed or the pedal pulled back. Just doesn't get anywhere near it without help.......

probably because the plunger has gone in too far.

you could try resetting it by removing switch and pulling plunger out its full length, then follow same procedure for new one.

this doesnt always work though...on vw for instance, pulling that plunger can damage the contacts inside, as said, not sure if fords are similar, but thats why i suggested a new switch

hold on, sorry, just noticed the ref to the other switch not making contact either...this might need a rethink.

would still try the above on brake light switch, as ive seen this happen before when thje owner inadvertantly lifted the pedal with their foot whilst fiddling about for something in back of car or foot slips off pedal and it returns with a bang.

so still maybe possible, as again from memory, the other switch isd of same/similar design.

only other thing i can think of is a problem with the plate holding the switches...i cant remember the set up for these, so, is it possible this plate has moved...got a hairline crack for eg..

when pedals are at rest, are clutch/brake pedal at same/similar height?

The two plugs are the same design. However the top switch has a longer plunger than the bottom. Have tried to swap them round but it does not fit and the loom isn't quite long enough to reach comfortably.

The mounting plate seems solid. The pluger for the brake lights is quite short but seems to be working fine. Won't be back with the car till later this afternoon. Will take photos and upload.....

Thx

Hi Wase16ll,

Your previous post was correct.

Pulled the plunger out. Now works fine. :))

Cheers for that....

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club