Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Steering Pump Suspect

sparkplug1988

Hi the're wonder if anyone else has ever had power steering fluid bubbling out of the power steering cap. I noticed a noise this morning when I turned the steering wheel and when I opened the bonnet fluid was bubbling up from the cap. I undone the cap and turn the wheel lock to lock and the noise stopped and the fluid did not overflow. I'm pretty sure it's not a steering rack. Or was it just air in the system. Any help would be grateful. Thanks for looking

Sent from my C1905 using For

by bubbling over the filler cap do you mean as in overflowing? IE over the max fill line?

and when you took the cap off and moved steering from full lock to other has the fluid gone back down?

Have you had any work done on the car that would require the rack or pump to be removed and refilled?

Bubbling up over the max line and out the cap. I haven't done anything that's involves any of the steering rack or pump

Sent from my C1905 using Ford OC mobile app

I put the cap back on and went lock to lock a few times and the noise stopped and the fluid remained at max line

Hmmm. That's stumped me then. If you've had anything done and it's doing that. I could only think a blockage or partial blockage in the system But could also be air.

Mind you I did fill the fluid up about 2 week's ago as it dropped below the max and accidentally went over the max Mark but surely that would of bubbled up straight after I filled it up

It seems to have stopped making the noise and the fluid had remained at the max line. Well and truly stumped me

Very odd maybe someone else can spring some light on it. I'm stumped

Very strange only thing I can think of is a blockage or the pump is slowly given up

Thank you for your help tho. Might just get a new pump and have it on standby just in case

My guess would be blockage that was restricting flow of fluid and the only place the excess could go was out the top

It could have been an air lock to be honest, if you had the cap on and there was a bubble trapped, the pressure would have kept it there, but by taking the cap off and moving the steering, that would have allowed any air bubbles to rise up to the top?

It could have been an air lock to be honest, if you had the cap on and there was a bubble trapped, the pressure would have kept it there, but by taking the cap off and moving the steering, that would have allowed any air bubbles to rise up to the top?

this seems very likely;)

How would it obtain a air lock if nothing has been removed or changed. Filling the tank wouldn't of caused this surely?

That's what I thought but atm it seems ok so hey ho my motor fixes it's self haha thanks lads for the replies

Hi all was wanting to know if i will have problems fitting a set of st 220 dials into a 3.0V6 ghia x 55reg,i know they changed the speedo pick up from the gearbox to the abs sensor i think? so what am asking is will a set of clocks that ran on the gearbox pick up work on a newer abs pick up i dont know date they made change,the st clocks am watching are out of a 52reg mine is a 55 reg ghia x has same engine, thanking you all as usual :):)

Hi all was wanting to know if i will have problems fitting a set of st 220 dials into a 3.0V6 ghia x 55reg,i know they changed the speedo pick up from the gearbox to the abs sensor i think? so what am asking is will a set of clocks that ran on the gearbox pick up work on a newer abs pick up i dont know date they made change,the st clocks am watching are out of a 52reg mine is a 55 reg ghia x has same engine, thanking you all as usual :):)

You will need to create a new topic mate.

With regards the air lock, anything can happen, by putting new fluid in, you could have air bubbles trapped in the fluid. As you then place the cap on and pressurise the container, there is no less pressure above the fluid to attract the bubble to, as such, the bubble then floats around like a lump of muck in the fluid. Then as the pump is pushing it to and fro, it then gets sucked further into the system and blown around. For all intents and purposes, you then have a small balloon floating around in the fluid and it just gets in the way!

Air locks can be caused predominantly by removal of parts, but its common for them to occur just by adding fluid into the mix...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club