Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Hate Car Insurance

jeebowhite

I was voided insurance by PRIVILIGE for not declaring factory fitted options as 'modification' .... my insurance is now £5400 ... :(

Holy Christ Mitchel!

Surely if they are factory fitted, you can appeal that! given that your car is Factory, they should have a full list of Factory options! if they wont appeal it, take it to the insurance ombudsman and make a formal complaint! if you did nothing at all to the car, then you have done as you should, unless you took out optional extra's that perhaps their systems may not be aware of, then you should have a claim for removing that voided insurance policy.

i took it to the ombudsman and they were siding PRIVILIGE!! it was ridiculous! It took 10 months for me to sort everything out :(

The idea of factory options being a mod really winds me up. is my factory travelpilot fx sat nav a mod? what about my factory parking sensors?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Plus if you have bought the car second hand how do know what was a factory fit extra?

Most insurance companies only care about performance enhancing modifications.

It's very sneaky what insurers do. You HAVE to check their conditions with options and mods, most insurers ask 'has this car been modified in any way?' now reading that you will assume they mean changes to the car after it leaves the factory.... but you have to check and i didnt the first time and i paid some serious consequences = void insurance = £5400 insurance haha

I hate insurers :angry:

One trick you can use is when they ask that question you say 'not that i am aware of' this way you will be ok when they try and screw you over :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah like me insuring my car as a 140 mountune and finding out a year later it's actually a 155! Luckily it's nothing apparent- you have to really look under the bonnet to notice but if I'd have been in an accident they could have done me over seriously for that.

Have to ask- what factory extras do you have? :blink:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Ford OC mobile app

"Not that I am aware of" is my favorite answer. If they ever ask it and record the calls, that way I am not declaring out right no, and they cant prove it. I am being honest as far as I can be. Doesn't matter what it is, cars, insurance, or anything else in life, these few words can save your bacon on so many occassions.

Yeah like me insuring my car as a 140 mountune and finding out a year later it's actually a 155! Luckily it's nothing apparent- you have to really look under the bonnet to notice but if I'd have been in an accident they could have done me over seriously for that.

Have to ask- what factory extras do you have? :blink:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Ford OC mobile app

i got screwed over an sri body kit ... they were standard :P

"Not that I am aware of" is my favorite answer. If they ever ask it and record the calls, that way I am not declaring out right no, and they cant prove it. I am being honest as far as I can be. Doesn't matter what it is, cars, insurance, or anything else in life, these few words can save your bacon on so many occassions.

Those words could have saved me alot of money haha

Something new I've learnt today

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

At least insurance companies came to their senses with the winter tyres now. I remember that several years ago I wanted to fit winter tyres for my Yaris SR (that's Toyota's equivalent of Zetec S) and the company told me that this will be classed as a mod and therefore chargeable. They wanted 2 grand extra FFS!

Their reasoning was that once I fit winter tyres to the Yaris, I'll start snow racing.

Yup, with the ground clearance of about 3 inches, snow racing in the Yaris would be absolutely amazing - it'll turn it to a first snow plough by Toyota, :D

• Like 1

Lol yeah they are a tad special lol

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

I am 23 years old. I live in Greece and I am planning to move to the UK. If i had a 1.0L ecoboost what would the insurance be there approx. ? if location plays any role then lets say lincolnshire

Stefanos,

there are a number of variables, for example the number of years you have driven, location, car (sub model), years of no claims bonus etc.

Lets say (ignoring the area) you are 23 with a car that is relatively well targeted, have 3 years driving but no no claims bonus (you wont have earned any here in the UK), I suspect you would be looking at around £1700 as a minimum mark generally speaking.

What you can do for arguments sake, is visit somewhere like "Go Compare" or "Compare the Market", then you can fill in your personal details, and pick a random address in the UK roughly around where you are aiming to move to, claiming to park the car on the road, 0 No Claims, average market value of the vehicle (declaring all mods you plan to have on your car) and this will give you the estimates

• 3 months later...

Cant you sll see its a postcode lottery it makes a massive difference ...try on one of the multi quote sites with different p/codes and see !!!!

Definitely true! its amazing that you could check the postcode of the road along, if its cheaper there, I would phone them and say I live at AB12 3CD but my car is kept at postcode AB12 4CD - that might save you another £100!

My insurance is renewing in a couple of weeks. According to my broker, staying with the same company, it would cost more to renew, but she said she could just start a new policy with the same company, and get a cheaper price!

That was the cheapest, still, to stay with them but start as new business with them. It's come down to £764, but with a few charges and interest (monthly payments :( ) it's going to cost a grand total of £910. Not as bad as this year, but certainly not as good as I'd like.

It's crazy to think that cancelling my existing custom, then simply restarting it with the same company saved money. Why don't they incentivise renewing with them?

Renewing is the easy answer and they get profit from customers who aren't tech savvy. If they treat everyone the idiot and earn a profit on 10 percent, it's more profit than incentives for 100 percent

Renewing is the easy answer and they get profit from customers who aren't tech savvy. If they treat everyone the idiot and earn a profit on 10 percent, it's more profit than incentives for 100 percent

True, but I don't know anyone who auto-renews. It seems like the most stupid thing, to me. A company never has your interests at heart, they always want a profit at your expense. To "trust" them to give you a good deal without asking for it is like hoping your passport arrives in the post some day, even though you haven't applied for one.

• Like 1

My insurance renews October 1st,
A few weeks ago I had a look on comparethemarket.com to see what the pain would be like,

20th Aug - £456 cheapest quote, with Tesco who I am already with.

1st Sept - £474 Renewal from Tesco on 1st September (a little early I thought)

9th Sept - £420 cheapest quote (tonight) with Tesco again.

Because the Renewal was only £18 different since I checked it before hand, I wasn't going to grumble,

but seeing a quote now for £420, that's £54 cheaper than the quote I got last week!

looks like the price is coming down, and Tesco got their quotes out early.

Tesco is the cheapest, so I guess I'll have to cancel and start again <_<

• Like 1

Just renewed.

21 with 3 years NCD. 2.0i Titanium Focus - £400. Called up to declared my new alloy wheels and it didn't even change my premium. Direct Line are definitely worth a look, they were cheaper than most of the telematics options.

• 2 weeks later...

My insurance renews October 1st,

A few weeks ago I had a look on comparethemarket.com to see what the pain would be like,

20th Aug - £456 cheapest quote, with Tesco who I am already with.

1st Sept - £474 Renewal from Tesco on 1st September (a little early I thought)

9th Sept - £420 cheapest quote (tonight) with Tesco again.

Because the Renewal was only £18 different since I checked it before hand, I wasn't going to grumble,

but seeing a quote now for £420, that's £54 cheaper than the quote I got last week!

looks like the price is coming down, and Tesco got their quotes out early.

Tesco is the cheapest, so I guess I'll have to cancel and start again <_<

I rang Tesco today,

I told them online quotes were over £50 cheaper than my renewal notice,

I asked if they could match the new price, and I'd like to tag on No Claims Bonus Protection too,

He didn't even argue and just had me wait for a couple of minutes while he checked details,

He came back with £426 all in, so I was happy to except that,

quite a difference from £474 without Bonus Protection.

• Like 1

I rang Tesco today,

I told them online quotes were over £50 cheaper than my renewal notice,

I asked if they could match the new price, and I'd like to tag on No Claims Bonus Protection too,

He didn't even argue and just had me wait for a couple of minutes while he checked details,

He came back with £426 all in, so I was happy to except that,

quite a difference from £474 without Bonus Protection.

Its amazing what you can get off insurance by picking up the blower... I'm 21, coming up to 22 with near on 3 years NCB on my policy, when I got my renewal for my zs tdci *March* (Ins group 8) it was around £750.. £50 lower than the previous year

Long story short I picked up the phone as a very disgruntled customer, rang diamond (I have 3 women on my policy, I'm a player I know ;) ) and basically told them I'd spoken to Aviva who could insure me for what I thought was a reasonable price to pay (£500) and then proceeded to tell them they'd have to beat this if I were to stay with them.

2 minutes later the guy on the end of the phone quoted me £550 took £x off for a 'loyalty bonus' £x discount for paying by diect debit then when I was satisfied that was the best he could do I agreed... *Ended up being £430 for the year*Took about 15 minutes of my time, hadn't even spoken to Aviva!! They'll always try to make you pay as much as possible unless you kick up a fuss, then they'll move heaven and earth to keep you.

Rang up yesterday to insure my new ST3 and was pleasantly surprised when my DD payments only went up by £9 p/m *Works out at just over £100 extra for the year :)

They tend to rely on people to just say 'Shut up and take my money' when renewals come through the post thinking that paying say, £50 off represents a good deal but just shop around and its easy to get a far better deal, even if you have to convince them to give it to you ^_^ B)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club