Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Wheel Shudder

karlos1987

Hi.

I'm after some advice.

When travelling at say 60mph plus when I have to apply the brakes the steering wheel shudders.

It's fine and don't feel anything when just driving normally.

Does anyone know what this could be and if it's an easy fix?

Cheers.

Karl

Ford focus mk2.5 1.6 titanium.

To be honest I have no idea if it is just 1 wheel. Is there anyway I can check this?

I might seem really dumb now. Lol. But how would I use that to check if they are warped?

Am I correct in thinking that I take the wheel off and measure the thickness of the disc all round. If there is any different measurements then it's warped?

if a disk is warped it will run not true so to speak. what i did was take my wheel off and hold in place against the lip of the disc. you will get a measure ment ie say 20mm, this would be ur thickness in that area, spin your disk and the the micrometer should adjust if it runs out of balance... check to see if they are visablly worn first tho

Ok thanks for that. Are the discs hard to change? If they are warped that is.

To check the disc run out its best to used a DTI gauge not a micrometer. A micrometer won't give u an accurate reading. A DTI gauge will give u the exact run out of the disc. And they are very easy to change

What you need is a clock dial gauge.

No offence to the OP, but given their obviously limited knowledge of mechanics, it might be easier if they have the discs checked and, if necessary, replaced, by a mechanic.

Brakes are not a job for the novice.

What you need is a clock dial gauge.

No offence to the OP, but given their obviously limited knowledge of mechanics, it might be easier if they have the discs checked and, if necessary, replaced, by a mechanic.

Brakes are not a job for the novice.

I know a fair bit of mechanics to be fair.

I have always serviced my cars and have lowered my current car etc.

I just wanted to check if there was anything I should watch out for.

Would I be able to get a clock dial gauge from your normal car parts shop?

You are unlikely to get a Clock Dial Gauge from a car parts shop, as it is a precision engineering tool.

They're available from amazon and eBay.

I have had this a number of times and it has never been warped disks. It usually occurs if someone has cooked the brake pads at sometime either by buying cheap pads or hard braking before they have had a chance to bed in. On every occasion (is at least 3 times now) I have just bought a new set of decent quality pads.

Take it easy for two hundred miles and avoid heavy braking and you should be fine.

This is of course if your disks aren't obviously about to expire.

• Like 1

remove brake fluid cap under bonnet... remove wheel.... 8/10 mm allen key bolts that hold on centre of calliper need removing, these are hidden behing rubber grommets. calliper is now free place on suspension strut... then use 17/19mm socket (1/2" drive) crack of bolts that hold on calliper bracket onto the rear of the hub. remove calliper bracket (check pipe work whilst you can see)

the disc should now slide off (on mine it did)

replace discs apply copper grease to rear where it face's the hub... clean up and then re-apply the calliper bracket.

you should replace pads when doing discs.

a set of http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-ADJUSTABLE-WATER-PUMP-GRIPS-PLIERS-WRENCH-PLUMBING-/370592415315?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item5649077e53

to push the piston back in so you can fit pads.... remember to use copper grease on bolts and rear of pads towards the piston and the front of ther calliper...

re-fit as opposite above....

remember to check the brake fluid afterwards

• Like 1

remove brake fluid cap under bonnet... remove wheel.... 8/10 mm allen key bolts that hold on centre of calliper need removing, these are hidden behing rubber grommets. calliper is now free place on suspension strut...  then use 17/19mm socket (1/2" drive) crack of bolts that hold on calliper bracket onto the rear of the hub. remove calliper bracket (check pipe work whilst you can see)

the disc should now slide off (on mine it did)

replace discs apply copper grease to rear where it face's the hub... clean up and then re-apply the calliper bracket.

you should replace pads when doing discs.

a set of http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-ADJUSTABLE-WATER-PUMP-GRIPS-PLIERS-WRENCH-PLUMBING-/370592415315?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item5649077e53

to push the piston back in so you can fit pads.... remember to use copper grease on bolts and rear of pads towards the piston and the front of ther calliper...

re-fit as opposite above....

remember to check the brake fluid afterwards

Thanks for that. Will have to get me the tool that can measure them then go from there.

I have had the car for 2.5 years and never had brakes changed. So not sure if previous owner had abused them slightly.

Can anyone recommend a decent disc and pad set up for my car? Or am I best sticking with Ford parts?

braking depends upon driving conditions, hardness etc.... if you have alloys as standard feel if the disc has a lip an it, also visually check the pads also...

these are my pads http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brembo-Front-Brake-Pads-Genuine-OEM-Quality-Service-Braking-Replacement-New-/111121523759?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Cars+Year%3A2008|Cars+Type%3A1.6+TDCi|Model%3AFocus&hash=item19df5be42f

my discs are like these, different make (brembo) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-MK2-1-6-TDCI-90-ECONETIC-09-MINTEX-FRONT-GROOVED-BRAKE-DISCS-PADS-/270922673571?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f143feda3

remeber i own a 1.8 tdci but ont he same year... your discs may have 2 different size options, but i am unsure of this.... ring ford just to confirm your size.... my options was 278mm or a 300mm. i have the 300mm set up....

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club