Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing O/s Headlamp Unit

jmurray01

The Focus is now ready to pass an MOT with the exception of the O/S headlamp unit which as it turns out is actually broken internally which caused it to fail (I assumed it was an incorrectly seated bulb or alignment).

After checking myself, the bulb housing is indeed moving around all over the place so obviously some part of the housing has broken apart.

I've managed to source a replacement unit from a scrap yard for £25 but money is very tight and I was wondering how difficult it is to replace (and how to do it), as if I can do it myself instead of spending £50 on labour for a garage to do it that would be much better.

I did look on YouTube and on the American versions of the MK1 Focus it is really easy, just two bolts and a screw - but after taking a look under the bonnet of our car it seems that not all of the bolts are accessable without removing the front bumper.

It is a 2000 (W Reg) Ford Focus 1.8 LX.

Thanks.

I believe that it is very much two bolts and a screw, easy enough to remove, but sadly I believe that a replacement is the only way.

I believe that it is very much two bolts and a screw, easy enough to remove, but sadly I believe that a replacement is the only way.

As I said, I have already found a replacement for £25 but wasn't sure if it was difficult to replace or not. If you are right then that is fantastic.

Certainly for the Fords I have used and played with thats it, oh and there is a lug that locks the bottom of the light into place, that normally needs depressing in order to release the lamp assembly.

Certainly for the Fords I have used and played with thats it, oh and there is a lug that locks the bottom of the light into place, that normally needs depressing in order to release the lamp assembly.

Thanks for your reply. Another reason I thought there were hidden bolts was because I asked a garage (whom I have used before) if they could supply me with a quote and he said that it would take an hour because they would need to drop the front bumper to get it out. In that case he was either lying (which I doubt) or mistaken.

I presume the grille will need to be removed in order to access all the nuts?

There is one bolt under the headlight that needs undoing from below (car will likely need jacking up), then you need to remove the grille and undo the two bolts visible on the top of the light.

The bumper DOES NOT need to be removed, the garage is trying to bump up the labour costs.

It will take 10 minutes if you have access to axle stands or a pair of ramps.

Edited by Stoney871

There is one bolt under the headlight that needs undoing from below (car will likely need jacking up), then you need to remove the grille and undo the two bolts visible on the top of the light.

The bumper DOES NOT need to be removed, the garage is trying to bump up the labour costs.

It will take 10 minutes if you have access to axle stands or a pair of ramps.

That's great, I'll get it done myself before it goes back in for the retest.

Thank you very much for your help!

Well thanks to your advice Clive the replacement headlamp unit is now fitted! It was actually an incredibly easy job, although it wouldn't have been possible if I hadn't jacked the car up about 10 inches in order to get my arm right up to where the bottom bolt is, so thank goodness I was prudent enough to buy a trolley jack a few years ago.

I never thought the headlamps were that yellowed on the car until I looked at it with the new O/S unit fitted and realised how bad the other one is! I suppose that is just what you get for driving 175,000 miles though - obviously the replacement unit came from a much lower mileage Focus.

It is going in for the retest at 4PM today so I shall report back when it (hopefully) gets a years MOT on it.

I cannot believe that I could have paid £50 for a mechanic to do what I did in 20 minutes by the side of the road - it makes my blood boil to be honest.

Thanks again,

Jamie.

Glad to be of assistance Fella.

Another two fingers up to robbing garages :d

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club