Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Re Attaching Rear Door Weather Seal

itsrelfy

could you give me the link for the orginal TSB? i have googled but cannot find it. my dealer is denying all knowledge of this.

• 1 year later...

On 11/21/2017 at 4:17 PM, JW1982 said:

2: In reference to the damage symptom, the inside vulcanised fine wire should be cut.

1: Bend the door weatherstrip to get access to the inside vulcanised fine wire.

CAUTION: Do not damage the paint surface. The wire snap can audible be observed.

2: Briefly cut through the fine wire.
3: Range of separation for partially removed weatherstrips in the area of the door latch.
4: Range of separation for partially removed weatherstrips on the door underside.

Hi, sorry to resurect this old thread, but the problem is widespread and is affecting my new car as well. I have read through the posted TSB several times, but I still cannot understand where the cut has to be made. Also not very clear what points 3 and 4 ("range of separation") means - is it the spot where the cut has to be made, or is it where the rubber is coming loose? Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Similar issue with doorseals unattaching from my 2012 Focus. Never had this issue with any other car. Ridiculous that this problem even exists for a manufacturer such as Ford. 

Just been reading about this problem with other peoples cars and decided  to check my 12 reg  mk 3, on both rear doors previous  owner has cut the strips half way so bottom of doors has no seal on , went to local Ford dealers,  £78 per door plus about £70 each door to fit, ! Sod that ,been to scrap yard got a complete  door seal from another Ford, seems to be same size so will use to go around the missing area on each  door , anyone see any problem with this,?the replacement  seal doesntseem to have any wire running through it , will that make a difference?

• 8 months later...

Surely if Ford have seen fit to issue what is called a TSB, which I've never heard of before, they are admitting there is a problem and then aren't Ford deemed to be responsible for fixing the problem.  I've had to reattach three door seals several times and have seen many other Focus' trailing bits of door seal below the door. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. I had the same problem with my 2012 Focus Estate passenger door. Tried several things but the thing that worked the very best, first time and instant. was mitre glue system. Its a glue and Ctivating spray twin pack. Kitchen fitters use it for instant joining or mitred angles but it also works on metal and rubber. I put a thin layer of the glue on the rubber, sprayed the edge of the door and held the 2 together for about 5 seconds. It is instant stick so I only did a couple of inches at a time. Brilliant job and no mesd

• 5 months later...

I have a 14 plate Titanium navigator.  This has happened to 3 of my doors in yearly succession.  Starting three years ago.  Presently it's the front passenger door.  The driver door was first about three years ago a male friend stuck it back and it's still fine, don't know what he used.  Then one of the back doors which was stuck back by a garage (not ford) when I had an MOT. Now the front passenger door which after finding this I will get some glue and do it myself.  I only realised this was a common problem after my sister was researching for a new car.  She found that it's a very common problem with the focus! I'm also having a problem with the tyre sensors! Actually didn't know my car had tyre sensors since the warning light keeps flashing telling me they can't be detected.  Most disconcerting! Tyres are actually fine so I just ignore it.  🤦🙄🤔

• Sad 1

Similar issue with doorseals unattaching from my 2012 Focus. Never had this issue with any other car. Ridiculous that this problem even exists for a manufacturer such as Ford. 

Completely agree this has put my sister off buying a ford it's unacceptable! I have always had fords all my life I'm 59 and my 14 plate Titanium navigator is the first time it's happened to 3 of my doors in yearly succession since 2019! It's been a real faff for me wouldn't pay the high price a ford garage would charge to fix it! Such an irritating inconvenience! 

• Sad 1

On 11/21/2017 at 4:17 PM, JW1982 said:

It took me a while to find the TSB but I found it online.

Below some relevant information from this TSB:

Service Information:
Damage symptoms of the door weatherstrip (Focus 2011.25 front door shown, all other similar)
NOTE: It would not be possible that these two different damage symptoms (1 & 2) are called at same time.
graphic.do?id=E180161&thumbnail=false

1: Slightly stripped off and partially removed front door weatherstrip on the door underside
 2: Partially removed front door weatherstrip in the area of the door latch

Service Instruction:
Attach the door weatherstrip to the door frame

1: WARNING: Safety instructions of material equipment provided by the manufacturer must be observed.
Prepare the repair adhesive kit. Refer to the manufacturer's directions.

2: In reference to the damage symptom, the inside vulcanised fine wire should be cut.
1: Bend the door weatherstrip to get access to the inside vulcanised fine wire.

CAUTION: Do not damage the paint surface. The wire snap can audible be observed.

2: Briefly cut through the fine wire.
3: Range of separation for partially removed weatherstrips in the area of the door latch.
4: Range of separation for partially removed weatherstrips on the door underside.
◦Clean and dry the repair area. It is not required to remove any remaining traces of adhesive from the door frame.

graphic.do?id=E180699

3: NOTE: Allow the repair adhesive to dry (drying time ≥ 1 hour).
Apply repair adhesive (see Parts Required) to the door weatherstrip (door underside shown, other repair areas similar).
◦Max. Ø of adhesive bead: 3 mm

graphic.do?id=E180700&thumbnail=false

4: Place the door weatherstrip on the door frame in the correct position. Secure the door weatherstrip on the door frame using tape (door underside shown, other repair areas similar).

graphic.do?id=E180701&thumbnail=false

5: NOTE: If the ambient temperature falls below 10°C, apply warm air (25°C) continuously.
Press the door outer weatherstrip home for at least one minute in order to obtain complete adhesion (door underside shown, other repair areas similar).
1: Using a suitable plastic roller to press-on the weatherstrip. make sure that equal pressure is applied to the component.
2: Carefully check the correct position of the weatherstrip on the door frame.
◦Allow the repair adhesive to dry in reference to the manufacturers' directions but not less than 5 hours.
◦Remove any used tape.

graphic.do?id=E180160&thumbnail=false

6.If required, repeat steps 2 to 5 on the remaining doors.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club