Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo Boost Gauge And Exhaust

sean23

Hi I've got the ford focus 2.0tdci 136bhp I've seen the st pods that for my dash it not seen any for sale was wondering if anyone has one for sale or where I can get one can't find any on eBay I am also looking at a turbo back exhaust will I gain from it also anyone know if I can get angle eye head lights as I've got hids but want something a little different thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

Hi, you won't get much gain by having a turbo back box even if you replace the whole system due to it being a diesel if anything you will hear the turbo spool up making a bit more noise.

You could fit a k&n panel filter just to make it breath better, the diesel that you have should run with at least 20psi if you were to use the st pods I would have thought the boost gauge wouldn't show the correct reading as they run a lower standard boost.

• Like 1

A less restrictive exhaust will help the turbo spool up quicker and help the engine breathe better, the main restrictions are in the back-box, the DPF and the cat, a dual outlet adds weight and the Y , its probably not worth going over 2-1/2" - often 2-1/4" works better, and is lighter - the restriction of the turbine and manifold is usually sufficient for engine back-pressure,, the less restiction past the turbine the better, so the shorter, straighter the better (taking the previosly mentioned diameter into account) a dragster may have a very short pipe coming straight out of the turbine outlet, for example - much of this applies to both turbopetrol cars and turbo-diesel as well

Replacement panel filters are reconed to be better than open underbonnet cone filters as the cone filter can draw warm air, loosing power, , in some cases, the engine pulls a bit better before the turbo spools, and/ or the engine picks up better but the peak power is the same (turbo) and in others, there is a slight improvement at high revs (depends on the car/ engine) in the (rare, nowadays) cases where there is a power increase, it is typically 1 to 2 horepower, on most modern cars with filters with a large surface area, there is no difference, as the K&N panel filter may not add any more power at all if the filter element is not the most restrictive part of the induction system

unfortunately K&N filters do not filter as well as stock filters, allowing small particles of dust through that stock ones do not, strangely, once a layer of dust builds up on the K&N, it filters better, owners often notice an improvement as the filter the new filter replaces is old, and clogged, on avarage a K&N can cost 6 times what a stock pattern one costs (depends on car)

this is based on years of experience of tuning NA and turbo cars petrol and diesel, and much research, from an engineering/ knowlegeable perspective (there is a lot of BS/ misinformation on the web)

really your best bet is a remap (including bluefin) or a (high end) tuning box -, along with regular servicing, this will get a significant, noticable power/ torque gain (bluefin claim 176hp) a DPF delete and straight through rear box may see another 6-10 hp on top of that and with a K&N and solid EGR plate, might approach 190HP, not bad for that weight of car and with the torque, not really that far off an ST

Look at lennys build thread , or you could just get a regular gauge pod or pillar pod and stick a diesel turbo gauge in it

If you want to make an ST rep better to keep the exhaust/ induction quiet, as it will just only sound like a tractor, and with a louder exhaust, a louder tractor, the diesel will never sound like a petrol ST -

If you want something that looks, goes and sounds like an ST, get an ST

• Like 3

Have found on the ST's the downpipe and cat make the most improvement for exhaust updates, and not much with the backbox. With my pre-facelift I ran it for quite a while with bigger bore downpipe and decat but keeping the standard backbox.

When I did fit a noisier backbox I had to ditch the decat as the full system made nasty boom right at motorway cruising revs. Better long term anyhow seeing how the cat is an MOT item now.

• Like 1

Ahhh thanks do you know of any pod that is the same shape that can replace the st pod that will also show the correct boost for my car ?

See my guide on fitting the ST pod,

I removed the ST gauges and fitted two standard 52mm ford racing gauges which displays up to 4bar boost :lol: never reach that in a lifetime water pressure in your tap is 2.5bar but looks good,

See link: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/29195-guide-fitting-st-gauge-pod-to-focus-tdci-dash/?pid=157895#entry157895

Piper performance exhausts manufacturer an off the shelf 2.5" T304 Stainless cat-back for the focus Diesel,

Mounts on the ST hangers, see my build thread: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/41443-taking-oval-to-blue-horizon-lennys-build-thread-2010-2015/

Green Cotton performance induction filter upgrade helps too,

See link: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36783-green-cotton-performance-induction-filter-fitting-guide/%22

I highly recommend blanking the egr valve with a stainless steel plate,

And have the dpf cut open on factory weld and gutted,

A 2.5" free flow on a diesel does improve performance when filters are removed,

Your flexi pipe between catalyst and straight flange is already 2.5" so remove dpf/cat and fit duplex exhaust.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2014 at 7:30 PM, tedis said:

Lenny u r the man :) i need to talk to u :)

Hi Tadas,

Feel free to chat on here anytime ⌚

I usually respond within 24hrs but im a bit buiser than usual at present so could be 72hrs but i will get back to you.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club